Shutter when rolling into it, @ 65-70 mph

03powerstroke35

This is an issue when i roll into the throttle around 1500-2000 rpm and about 65-70mph, usally only when in OD, i will slowly roll on it and the truck will shutter (some times very hard) and shake, Feels like putting a six speed in sixth gear at about 5mph and trying to drive. But dosent do it all the time...

I replaced the icp it was leaking didnt fix problem, checked the cp sensor thats not it either. It is not the tunes, does it with all tunes from all my tuners. From what i can tell its not a fuel problem. It will aslo have a rough idle at some times like an injector, but not cosistant at all.

Im leaning away from it being trans related, its a full sucoast with higher stall. Shifts strong when getting it hard.

Its not any drive line or u joint problems, or axle wrap.

It dosent throw any code, i did have a check egine light come on, tried to read the dtc with SCT, "said eror can not read."

SO WHAT IS IT:bang

thats hard to say i was going to say the shuttering was from a tq going out but since its a suncoast. Have you done any more mods since the new tranny and is the fuild still good how many miles on the new tranny

Its the check valve, one of them in the high pressure oil rails. They are 58.00 at the dealership. Mine did it for 8 months till I found it out. Pull codes with a good code reader and I will eat my hat if it doesn't throw a 2287 code.

never thought about that, lower rpm, demand torque, so demand oil pressure, it would be more noticible, something to look at for sure

I can get you the part numbers if you want when I get home, but they are the quick connect fittings that hook the oil rails to the HPoil lines. Fixed my problem.

Here is the check valve/ quick connect:

truckfix4.jpg

Here it is removed from the rail:
truckfix5.jpg

You can change it out without removing the rail, just unsnap it, and slide it out as far as you can, (the HP oil rail line will hit the rocker box) unscrew it from the rail, it will spin inside the quick connect, then lift it up still in the braided HPoil line and slide it out. Reverse it to put it back in.

Last edited:
If you get onto the throttle a little when this happens. Stay on the pedal and tap the brakes for the lights to come on. This will unlock the converter. If the problem goes away have the tuner change the converter tip in unlocks.

It does it with tunes with a locked and unlocked converter, but yes climbing some of the bigger hills in so cal, taping the brake to unlock somtimes is the only way i can get up them.

It does it with tunes with a locked and unlocked converter, but yes climbing some of the bigger hills in so cal, taping the brake to unlock somtimes is the only way i can get up them.

So unlocking the converter makes the problem go away...

Mine did the same thing Doug, its just much worse with the converter locked.

It wont go away just more tolerable in a higher RPM, im sure its fuel related,

Dalpilot, i replaced the drivers sice check valve, i thought i would get the hardest one out of the way first. Well it wasnt that side. Im going to do the other side today. I will keep you posted.

BY the way did this affect your idle at times???

What I was getting at... Is it a light shudder or a heavier dead miss? Ford uses two values for converter unlock tip in and pedal change. The injector dropping out on cruise can be duplicated by loading it off idle. If you hit the pedal a certain way.

Yes, but I also still have a bad injector miss. The surge went away after changing the check valves though. The drivers side is definitely the hardest. Let me know.

Well i just got finished. While i had it apart i removed two random injectors for inspection, they looked brand new, That was a relief. I also took the (old)check valve apart couldent see anything wrong with it other than it had a little burr inside thats were i think it was getting cought up on.
Went for a drive for about 15 min the problem seems to be gone. Thanks Dalpilot, i would have never thought of that. How did you ever find out that was your problem??

Good deal dude, that little bur is it. Mine looked fine too. I think it was Doug that originally told me about the TSB on it.

What I was getting at... Is it a light shudder or a heavier dead miss? Ford uses two values for converter unlock tip in and pedal change. The injector dropping out on cruise can be duplicated by loading it off idle. If you hit the pedal a certain way.

Sometimes it was a light shudder, but in the cooler mornings it felt like i was driving on a road with speed bumps spaced a foot apart:bang

Check valve diagnosis comes from the motor shaking at different rpm ranges. Tim hit the magic number so I told him check valves. Had it been a different RPM we would have been checking for combustion in the fuel (which we did anyways because its easy to do.)

Hmmm my truck has been having the same problem for monthes. I took it to ford and they are dumb ass's and replaced one injector... wasnt it. I replaced icp, fpr and the sensor in side the turbo. I forget what its called right now. Can you get me the part number for these? Ill try replacing them on my truck along with a list of other **** i have to do. My trans temp guage is goin wacky so that needs to be replaced too.