Single vs. Twins

BB KoncepZ

Talked to several people and still cant decide what to do...
Bigger single or twins...???

'07 5.9 4wd...non daily driver. Moreless a weekend rig. Basically wantin a hot street truck. Very little towing, racin, or pullin. Shootin for 650rwhp. Still want it to be fun to drive.

For a single I was thinkin an FPE s366 or a set of twins 62/475.
Only thing that has got me torn is most people say throw a cam in if I do a single...and I didnt really want go into the motor unless I had to(excluding studs, springs,etc...) Which is what pushes me toward twins...

Throw me some ideas and opinions out...i wanna get stsarted before winter sets in...

My truck spools up quick with a single, but I've done all of that. What altitude are you at?

Just wanna make sure Im gonna be happy with it...dont wanna do it over again...it just seems everybody runs twins....so I like to keep things different and I know you can make the power with a single...i just like my power down low...

Basically just a street truck. If I pull, its under 10k and only twice a year if that...but for the most part its just a hot rod truck.

I'd recommend that you look at it like this:

Compounds are really a set-up to run a large charger without the usually associated lag. This is why it is so attractive.

Large single can make a ton of power, you just have to deal with inertia of big wheels. And this is all preferential - how much lag can you tolerate?

Your power goal is not "high" and you wont be driving the truck all of the time; you could run a single and make that kind of power without too much lag. Additional benefits are none of the work/cash & time investment that goes with twins. Unless you buy a "kit" installing twins is a BIG job.

Hope this helps.

I would do twins again in a heartbeat. While fabbing the piping yourself is a PITA it is well worth it. By the time you buy yourself a good larger single you are better than halfway if not more into what a set of twins costs if you make it yourself. I only tow with my truck and tried a single on it before. Definitely the best money decision I have ever made was putting twins on it, I wish I would have done it to start with and saved the initial investment of the larger single.

I'd recommend that you look at it like this:

Compounds are really a set-up to run a large charger without the usually associated lag. This is why it is so attractive.

Large single can make a ton of power, you just have to deal with inertia of big wheels. And this is all preferential - how much lag can you tolerate?

Your power goal is not "high" and you wont be driving the truck all of the time; you could run a single and make that kind of power without too much lag. Additional benefits are none of the work/cash & time investment that goes with twins. Unless you buy a "kit" installing twins is a BIG job.

Hope this helps.

Deffinately a good explination. I dont mind a little lag but not much worse than stock.
As far as a twin kit...i was thinkin about an MPI or Wicked kit...

If its a street hotrod you're after, get it lit and get gone: twins.

650 on the street will 'feel' stronger with a quick lighting twin setup. Those that say you can make that number on a single are correct, but if you hate lag (as I do) you're going to be happier with a small set of twins. While that larger single is still coming up, the twins will already be hazing the tires.

Its all about your tolerance for lag. Anyone who tells you a 66 will light like stock on a 5.9 without a cam and ported head is blowing smoke. (pun intended) If you have the scratch, and are that serious about your disdain for lag, get a small set of twins. My first set of twins was a 62 over 76. I loved the way it drove... especially after I cammed it. :D

FWIW...

For 650, I'd look really closely at a stock He351 over S475 twin kit. I believe you listed MPI and Wicked, they both still offer a stocker over 475 kit.

If you want to impress your buddies, and not break the speed limit, a boosted launch with a small set of twins will "blow their minds".

A single setup would be a little cheaper, a little easier as far as oil changes and maintenance, and less areas to develop leaks over time. Hopefully, if you buy a well-built twin kit, it will last the life of the truck without leaks.

Twins all the way. Way more user friendly for lag and makes the drive that much better

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk