Sizing primary for twins

Agreed.... It seems the Garrett stuff in the gt3? Series has few options that will flow the volumes and pressures needed for diesels. Hopefully the gtx35 is an exception; we will see shortly. I will have a gtx3582r in t4 1.06 on a htt t4 stainless manifold but planning for future twins. The original plan was gt4508 over gtx3582r but it would seem the the 45 may be a bit much.

There is a forged wheel S300 that is 62mm with an internally wastegated T4 housing, hose discharge cover with the new 68mm turbine and it is very cost effective. This would most likely reach your power goal with a GT4202, but you may want to utilize a wastegate on the primary either internal or external to keep it happy.

Ok, while we are on the subject Smokem, how about an S465 and 106mm for 1,000rwhp on a 12 valve. EGT control and response are an issue, just not max power. Goal is a 2,000rpm-4,000rpm powerband.

In my opinion, I wouldn't waste the time to put them on.

There is a forged wheel S300 that is 62mm with an internally wastegated T4 housing, hose discharge cover with the new 68mm turbine and it is very cost effective. This would most likely reach your power goal with a GT4202, but you may want to utilize a wastegate on the primary either internal or external to keep it happy.

This is the charger I run currently (as Weston knows given he recommended it). Works very well as a single and I am going to use it in my compound setup which I hope to have running by first quarter of this year!

Well aren't you our little ray of sunshine this am.

I had a Jimmy Dean Sandwich, I feel better now. But, an S465/T18A combination...

images

For your goals, and not knowing more about the setup;

66/73mm S300 with 0.91AR over an S488 with the GT47 radial compressor wheel and larger turbine section would be a much better fit for the best value. You would need a manifold wastegate, and it wouldn't hurt to gate the primary also.

Last edited:
Whatcha got against the big Garrett? Just curious.

Nothing, I have stated quite often that I actually prefer many Garrett platforms. What you have listed, and what your goals are, big difference.

The GT47 turbine isn't up to par with the rest of the large frame Garrett's, from what I've read.

I think you mean GT45.

I say if you have the turbos lined out already throw them on and see how it runs. Did you get my pm about the turbine housing on my 469?

I say if you have the turbos lined out already throw them on and see how it runs. Did you get my pm about the turbine housing on my 469?

Yeah, thanks!

I'm still sort of up in the air about the selection of the small charger, part of the reason I am running the 106 is that I got a really good deal on it, didn't want to be under-turboed, and I really liked how Sean Gammel's truck performed at Diesel Power Challenge, and Erick Brown's truck ran also, and they were both S362/S595 combos. I thought I'd do something similar, but using a turbo a little bit tougher than the S362.

Yeah, thanks!

I'm still sort of up in the air about the selection of the small charger, part of the reason I am running the 106 is that I got a really good deal on it, didn't want to be under-turboed, and I really liked how Sean Gammel's truck performed at Diesel Power Challenge, and Erick Brown's truck ran also, and they were both S362/S595 combos. I thought I'd do something similar, but using a turbo a little bit tougher than the S362.

Why don't you run something like a gtx 4294 with the 71mm wheel? It'll reduce drive pressure, boost pressure, make more power and be more reliable. Not to mention making everything else more reliable running less boost. It will spool a little slower but the benefits would be worth it.

I don't understand why people run such tiny secondary's and oversized primary's then complain about the HP turbo failing prematurely along with the whole setup being underpowered(for what the primary is capable of) and making rediculous amounts of boost inturn having intercooler/ intercooler boot problems. Just an observation, not directing this at you Jason, but I would run a bit bigger secondary and maybe even try to trade that 106 for a gt or gtx55-94 but I'm sure the 106 will run good if you've got your mind set on it though.

A lot of this stuff is out of my price range. I have an A5k, might just try that.

I think that would be better. What turbine is on those? Could you open it up a little on that side?