Sled Pulling Rules

It means you can't make the rear suspension stiff...this rule will allow the truck to squat.

no blocking means you can not have a block between axle and frame, you have to have suspension travel

So if I show up at one of your pulls and I have bump stops with 1" of suspension travel you guys won't let me pull with them?
Also I have a 2.8 truck (street modified) and I have moved the hitch forward from the stock location because all of the other organizations allow it except you guys. Does that mean I would have to pull in super modified with the nitrous and twin turbo trucks?

SMOKIN93 said:
So if I show up at one of your pulls and I have bump stops with 1" of suspension travel you guys won't let me pull with them?
Also I have a 2.8 truck (street modified) and I have moved the hitch forward from the stock location because all of the other organizations allow it except you guys. Does that mean I would have to pull in super modified with the nitrous and twin turbo trucks?

you need to have some suspension travel and not be solid with no movement..

yes at this time that would put you into the next class.

the problem is... VERY FEW PEOPLE want to sledpull in the pacific NW (Washington, Oregon, parts of Idaho... you get the idea).

The rules were meant for those in the local area when the NHRDA first got started. In the NHRDA's beginning, most races were within a few hours distance. The NHRDA has quickly grown. The rules do need to be revamped for other zones or districts.

Unfortunetly, I regret to inform you there aren't alot of sledpulling trucks in our area designed for sledpulling that you would find in the MidWest or EastCoast.

Sledpulling has been a "casual event' in the NW it will continue to be so probably for atleast the next 5 years. I recommend that each race director design their own rules from the demographics around them. Rules for the East coast cannot and willnot be supported in the NW. With those rules I don't believe we would have any trucks pulling. Nor-Cal and South-Cal probably could come close.

As for the blocking issue, as long as you have some travel you would be good. Bump stops are fine as long as there is a gap.

Modification of the stock hitch setup would bump you to another class.

Camotanker said:
t Rules for the East coast cannot and willnot be supported in the NW.

Where we are, so you shall soon be.

You guys have the same power levels as we do in the lower classes. I understand completely making power rules to fit your local trucks, but keep in mind, every rule we have is there for a reason.

Whether its safety, or something as simple as suspension stops to keep from breaking your springs(been there, done that, overloads, were overloaded:)) they may help you in the long run, and just maybe save your guys some parts, or injury.

The sport of Diesel sledpulling has been very lucky so far, considering how fast the power out ran the safety equipment. Don't let your "casual" pulling ruin it for the rest of us.

there hasn't been much sledpulling in the NW for 2 years. I highly doubt it will be big in our area any time soon.

the lack of sleds are a big issue where we are. venues also.

not many are willing to go to the crazy lengths you guys have gone to also for safety. just what i fell i have witnessed.

How many sled pulls does the NHRDA actully have booked, is this discussion for not?

BBD

Camotanker said:
not many are willing to go to the crazy lengths you guys have gone to also for safety. .

WOW! Seriously, if thats the attitude out there, you should stop sled pulling before a U-joint takes someones head off, or a non SFI clutch cuts a foot off.
I guess it is not for everybody.

Camotanker, where are you at in the NW? I see that you have raced at SRP and I would like to see pulling get big up here too.

CamoTanker, are you serious??? I dont think you know what you are talking about. I have been in contact with Chris and what you are sayin is exactly AGAINST what we have been talkin about. NHRDA is just as safety oriented as DHRA. You seem to be a person that has never been involved in actual sled pulling. And are you affiliated with NHRDA or just spewin more nonsense???

Actually- I believe the notion of different sled pulling rules for the different zones is a wrong statement to make. However, a countrywide standardization of rules and safety requirements for each classification would be best implimented. These safety requirements and standardization of class rules eliminates favorable regions and levels the playing field. And as far as everyone following the same safety requirements -that's nessesary for driver safety, sled operator safety, various flagmen/women safety and most important- spectator safety...... We cannot have different rules laid out depending upon region..... :pop:

Myself- I would LOVE to see more NHRDA Sled Pulling Action pick up- if there is support- we will bring it.:rockwoot:

Last edited:
BigBadDodge said:
How many sled pulls does the NHRDA actully have booked, is this discussion for not?

BBD

Scott,
There are zero pulls booked for this year. As of now PNW, the only place NHRDA sledpulling has occured officially to date, there has been nothing put together for this year or any future years at this time to my knowledge.

Hyde said:
Camotanker, where are you at in the NW? I see that you have raced at SRP and I would like to see pulling get big up here too.

Hey Hyde,
Near Seattle Washington. A small group of us would LOVE if sled pulling took off locally... there has been alot of talk and effort through the years... but no luck yet.

BowtiedCTD said:
CamoTanker, are you serious??? I dont think you know what you are talking about. I have been in contact with Chris and what you are sayin is exactly AGAINST what we have been talkin about. NHRDA is just as safety oriented as DHRA. You seem to be a person that has never been involved in actual sled pulling. And are you affiliated with NHRDA or just spewin more nonsense???

Bowtied...
Thats fine if I don't know what I'm talking about... Not sure why you are bringing all this anger at me in a thread that I have been trying to be helpful in. Chris has been to the NW once, maybe twice to my knowledge. Never for a sledpull event. If Chris is living in a hopeful world than good for him. I'm telling you the reality of sledpulling in the PNW. Thats all I can speak of. I have had countless talks with Randy, Lenny, and many others hoping something would spark but never has.

Lenny (DDP)
Bondo
BHaner
KWiebe
DJ Kosa

Have the most competitive trucks in the NW. Not that means anything... but if I can list them on one hand thats bad.

For the matter, I used to help the NHRDA at their sledpulling events. In regards to safety, yes of course safety is a factor... however... if you were to compare PNW safety to midwest/east coast safety, we have the basics. Our safety rules and what the market will support is not close to what is being done in the midwest and etc. Very FEW people in our neck of the woods are wiling to add safety cut off switches, fuel cut offs, driveline hoops and etc. I have seen countless events online where these highly modified trucks in other parts of the country have hundreds of trucks show up with the most extreme safety measures which the market can support. At this time, there is no interest in folks doing these mods for one or two sled pulls. There is a lack of venues and sleds in the PNW.

I'm not going to argue the fact, if you think that you and Chris can bring your two man team to our area and provide us with sled pulling... I would welcome both with open arms. Do what we couldn't do.

I HAVE BUSTED MY ASS AT MULTIPLE SLEDPULL EVENTS FOR THE NHRDA HELPING RUN EVENTS AND CORDINATE THEM. TO INCLUDE DR SPEED AND BHANER.
Good night.

Last edited:
RacinDuallie said:
Actually- I believe the notion of different sled pulling rules for the different zones is a wrong statement to make. However, a countrywide standardization of rules and safety requirements for each classification would be best implimented. These safety requirements and standardization of class rules eliminates favorable regions and levels the playing field. And as far as everyone following the same safety requirements -that's nessesary for driver safety, sled operator safety, various flagmen/women safety and most important- spectator safety...... We cannot have different rules laid out depending upon region..... :pop:

Myself- I would LOVE to see more NHRDA Sled Pulling Action pick up- if there is support- we will bring it.:rockwoot:

Maybe you missed the FACT.... there is very little interest in the PNW. Most folks out this way are interested in drag racing and drag racing only.

Its easy for you to make an uneducated statement of standardized rules for everybody not knowing what regional markets will, and willNOT support.

You bring a 20 sled pull event season to the Pacific NW and I will invest in doing these mods and I'm sure others will too.

I understand the NHRDA sledpulling is new to most of you... but we have been trying hard for 3 years to make it take off. If someone out there has pixie dust to make it work... then do it. Its easy to Monday night quarterback, i'm just trying to relay the reality of our situation.

i would also like to add that I spent last season, because there was no NHRDA season, chasing sledpulling events trying to network. This year, we will be on our own doing it for fun with tractor people.

Banks, Oregon.
Sublimity, Oregon.
Lynden, Washington.

Thats what we have available.