sleve a cracked block

Hurley03

Have any of you heard of sleveing a cracked block? And if so how reliable is it?

Where's the crack? If it's in the cylinder to be removed and sleeved should be fine!

For the price of machine work and parts you could buy another block

from phone

Parent bore block. If it is cracked it will keep getting worse, sleeve or not.

There is a guy selling a750 dollar 12v on here, go buy it and swap. Cheaper than machine work.

Have any of you heard of sleveing a cracked block? And if so how reliable is it?
Loaded question. Where is it cracked, exactly?
You can stop cracks by drilling and pinning the ends, though most people won't do so, which exacerbates a minor problem into a major one.

A crack in a cylinder is usually viewed as a death sentence in a high horse application, but done right, a properly installed sleeve with a drilled crack shouldn't create an issue in normal usage.
The trick is to truly find the end(s) of the crack.

Unfortunately, if a cylinder crack has already extended into the deck, or the lower bulkhead area of the block, then it's most definitely junk, as the sleeve will never seal coolant on either end.

Mark.

You guys just confirmed what I was worried about and my suspicions that its like a band aid on a gun shot wound.

I'm bringing another variable in. What about a deep gouge in #6 cylinder? About .080 deep, been thinking about sleeving it. Possible?

I'm bringing another variable in. What about a deep gouge in #6 cylinder? About .080 deep, been thinking about sleeving it. Possible?

Yeah that's easy and worth it unless you have friends with blocks! Sure you can't hone out most of it? Send a pic of it!

Yeah that's easy and worth it unless you have friends with blocks! Sure you can't hone out most of it? Send a pic of it!

WTF? No, your not going to hone out an .080 scar.... Im not trying to be a dic, but 99% of your posts are retarded... its very apparent you don't have a clue what you are talking about, which is fine everybody has been there, but damn... do some reading and learning before you post stupid questions/answers/threads...

You seem like a nice guy and all, but **** man...

Last edited:

It all depends on the ability to clean it up. You need to get a rough estimate of how deep the gouge is and how thick the sleeve is. It can be done, I have had it done before.

In this case, thicker is usually better.
If the sleeve is thick enough and the bore centers will allow for the extra diameter of a thicker sleeve, there is nothing wrong with sleeving a block, even with a hole through the bore's casting.
Done properly in such a case, the bottom and top of the parent casting will seal the sleeve to the deck and the bottom of the bore.

To lessen the possibility of the sleeve "walking" or "slipping", when possible, the bottom of the bore is "stepped" so that the sleeve rests on this step.
This will work even if only a PORTION of the bore bottom is stepped, the idea is that it lowers the potential for the sleeve to move downward.

As I mentioned before, the only problem is if the deck or the lower bore is already cracked, which pretty much makes a sleeving effort pointless.

Mark.

I use Darton racing sleeves. The ones I currently have in my 05 are 4.187 O.D. Standard bore is 4.016 so you would machine well past the .080 deep gouge. I have used Darton racing sleeves as large as 4.250.

Paul

WTF? No, your not going to hone out an .080 scar.... Im not trying to be a dic, but 99% of your posts are retarded... its very apparent you don't have a clue what you are talking about, which is fine everybody has been there, but damn... do some reading and learning before you post stupid questions/answers/threads...

Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one thinking thinking that. LOL

Well that ass kicking was deserved! I was thinking 8 thousands and that's pushing it! I'll try and keep the retarded posts to a minimum! I have enough experience to get by and pass on what I know or think is right. Sometimes a good kick to the crotch will bring you back to reality! Thanks COMPD!

I tried sleeving a cracked block, it worked at lower boost levels but anything above 80 psi it blew antifreeze out of the radiator. I know everyones situation is going to be different depending on where the crack is ect ect but long story short and just for the insurance purpose alone id just get a new block. I ended up getting a 6.7 block and head and sleeving it back to a 5.9.