Smarty Dyno #'s

THE SMARTY IS the OOOOnly way to go whoever got lower numbers with the smarty didnt Know how to set it up right:rockwoot:

For what it is worth the trucks were auto's and sticks and there was more than one truck with low numbers on smarty... im just telling it like i see it

THE SMARTY IS the OOOOnly way to go whoever got lower numbers with the smarty didnt Know how to set it up right:rockwoot:

Maybe you could enlighten the guys who ran it? How do you run smarty? I dont think the shop at the dyno nor the people who are avid smarty users that ran it on their trucks know how to program it right i guess. :bang

Come on man.

Gang,
Backhoe man, great numbers! BUT, looking at the dyno graphs, I'd say that the engine was not loaded enough before the run begins. From my experience with the 6.7L on the dyno that means the reading is short by 40-50 Hp. I'm close to 2K ( two thousand ) runs...
When loaded properly before the run, the STOCK truck with Smarty on # 9 is in the 1100 Ftlb range. Thus the torque numbers in these graphs seem rather low to me. Again, to see really what's going on, especially when different tuners are compared, LOAD THE ENGINE before the run starts! :thankyou2:

Let me just add this. The tunes I've released are ALL de-tuned versions. De- tuned because of the power holding capability of the transmissions / Clutches or better lack of it. What the Smarty delivers today is the most my stock AT can handle. More is just a few clicks away but... I think you got the picture.

Don't get me wrong though, already " as is " now, Smarty on a stock truck makes at least 40 Hp more than the closest competitor( 46 more to be exact ). I've not tested them all, but most of them. I did test all who claim gains above 100 Hp .

Furthermore, I've never believed in a tuning that only provides the highest HP number. For me it's also important what happens before that point. HOW you get there. @ 2100 Rpm Smarty on #9 makes 150 Hp more than the closest competitor. LOAD the engine and you can see it on your own.

OK, off of my soap box.

Have FUN!

Marco

Sounds like something isn't right. I won't point fingers but maybe the dyno, dyno opp., smarty programmer, the truck, tranny slippin?... I don't know. What kind of dyno? Did you run 4th gear? What were the Smarty settings? 0?:hehe: J/K

Mine did 435/780 with just deletes and an MP-8. My Smarty on just level 5 fells much stronger. I havn't had it on the dyno but I bet its making close to that hp and around 900 on torq.

I dont know what was going on either. Maybe they couldnt get that VGT turbo to spool who knows. Every other truck was fine except the 6.7 and everyone of them had a smarty programmed onto there trucks except the dude with XRT that was mentioned. The only reason I'm in this thread is because I'm trying to learn more about the 6.7 because i am interested in buying one like stated before and I'm trying to learn everything I can about them. Honestly I don't care I'm just giving information to the public that over 75 people witnessed on saturday evrything from dmaxs to powerstrokes to dodge even a diesel jetta dynoed. lol...it was a great event:rockwoot::Cheer:

Last edited:
For one you got to have the (SMARTY ME) and set your tor management on #4 and catcher#9 and timing on#3 fuel rail psi on # 2 530-HP - 1060-tor

Gang,
Backhoe man, great numbers! BUT, looking at the dyno graphs, I'd say that the engine was not loaded enough before the run begins. From my experience with the 6.7L on the dyno that means the reading is short by 40-50 Hp. I'm close to 2K ( two thousand ) runs...
When loaded properly before the run, the STOCK truck with Smarty on # 9 is in the 1100 Ftlb range. Thus the torque numbers in these graphs seem rather low to me. Again, to see really what's going on, especially when different tuners are compared, LOAD THE ENGINE before the run starts! :thankyou2:

Let me just add this. The tunes I've released are ALL de-tuned versions. De- tuned because of the power holding capability of the transmissions / Clutches or better lack of it. What the Smarty delivers today is the most my stock AT can handle. More is just a few clicks away but... I think you got the picture.

Don't get me wrong though, already " as is " now, Smarty on a stock truck makes at least 40 Hp more than the closest competitor( 46 more to be exact ). I've not tested them all, but most of them. I did test all who claim gains above 100 Hp .

Furthermore, I've never believed in a tuning that only provides the highest HP number. For me it's also important what happens before that point. HOW you get there. @ 2100 Rpm Smarty on #9 makes 150 Hp more than the closest competitor. LOAD the engine and you can see it on your own.

OK, off of my soap box.

Have FUN!

Marco

Marco, I was the dyno operator for Jamie's truck (Backhoeman), and we loaded the Smarty and the XRT with the exact same load% to get a equal to equal power number. We ran out of time that day to really LOAD the truck well enough to get over 500hp.

Jamie and I have discussed on several occasions that we needed to get back on the rollers to load it harder to get the PEAK numbers we are after.

I am not going to comment on the other trucks that have run, but I am just saying that when we did the Smarty/XRT comparo we did it the exact same way on both so that it was a fair comparision.

Stay tuned in the next few weeks for we will be back on the rollers soon to get a PEAK number for Backhoeman's truck!!!

Gang,

OK, off of my soap box.

Have FUN!

Marco

So when i ran my twin turbo 6.4 on the same dyno the same day and put down 530 with the same load factor your going to say that it was not loaded right even though i was trying to spool twins instead of a single vgt? I dont get it i guess.

Sorry i think we were talking about two different trucks afterall. I dont know what they loaded the 6.7 with as far as settings... too much to mess with i think. At any rate maybe these two trucks can get ahold of you and see how to load and run thier truck on the dyno. At any rate good numbers with the twins for sure... hope they figure these two other trucks out... low 400 hp is not very good for smarty i think.

Sorry i think we were talking about two different trucks afterall. I dont know what they loaded the 6.7 with as far as settings... too much to mess with i think. At any rate maybe these two trucks can get ahold of you and see how to load and run thier truck on the dyno. At any rate good numbers with the twins for sure... hope they figure these two other trucks out... low 400 hp is not very good for smarty i think.

Dude they were loaded to the hilt but whatever these guys say. you were there I was there and alot of smarty users were there and all were trying to help smarty do better then others cause I think everyone wanted it to especially on the 6.7 we even tried extra pulls on it with different settings cause the shop owners wanted us to for FREE to see if we could figure out what was going on....but it didnt happen. just the facts. IDK???

Rant off.

Last edited:
2007 5.9, PM answered I hope it shares some light.

dzchey21, I have NO CLUE! how a twin turbo 6.4 needs to be run on the dyno!
I'm strictly talking about the Cummins 6.7L which is a whole different design.

curtrwall, the only thing that's not right is the fact that the engine was not FULLY loaded before the start of the dyno run. Simple as that.

The VGT is rather slow to adjust. Thus the engine has to be fully loaded before the dyno run starts to really see what's going on.

Marco

One thing I forgot to mention.
On my Dyno the stock truck with the stock software is between 255 and 260Hp.
(255 repeated often, 260 seen only once)

Same truck, same everything but Smarty on # 9 with all settings on default is between 423 and 432. ( 428 repeated often 432 seen only once )

I kept as good and repeatable numbers the 255 and the 428.

Marco

2007 5.9, PM answered I hope it shares some light.

dzchey21, I have NO CLUE! how a twin turbo 6.4 needs to be run on the dyno!
I'm strictly talking about the Cummins 6.7L which is a whole different design.

curtrwall, the only thing that's not right is the fact that the engine was not FULLY loaded before the start of the dyno run. Simple as that.

The VGT is rather slow to adjust. Thus the engine has to be fully loaded before the dyno run starts to really see what's going on.

Marco

6.4's also run one turbo as vgt, the other fixed, yes it needs to be loaded as much or more than a single turbo. All i was getting at was that these trucks all ran the same dyno same day, same load, i saw with my own eyes that edge made more power, plain and simple. I'm not doubting that some trucks dont make over 500... but not with smarty only from what i saw. I dont get why you guys arent making one tuner that makes the most power without stacking. seams way to complicated to me, and too easy to mess things up if you dont know what you doing.

I'm not doubting that some trucks dont make over 500... but not with smarty only from what i saw.

A moment please, help me understand what kind of truck(s) you're talking about? Stock turbo or twins?

Stock turbo's on all the trucks,(twins in my case). I just got schooled a little on smarty... i was wondering why you would advertise the power on default settings, but i understand thats for a stock clutch/trans truck. Like i said i DO NOT know what settings were loaded on the two trucks that ran smarty. I think these trucks were loaded down good this last weekend so i dont think that was the issue... i dont think. Im not saying smarty is a bad product or edge is better or anything like because two of the three CR's i saw in or around the 500 range were smarty tuned. I was just making a statement twards the 6.7 in general. But i see that some are making good power thats great to see.

dzchey21,
see, if the curves look anything close to the ones BM has posted here, then the engine was not fully loaded. During the short dyno run time the VGT can not adjust fast enough. That's especially true on the inertia style dynojet.

With the Smarty on # 9 the Hp peaks around 2300 Rpm with a fully loaded engine. BM's graphs peak around 3K. Hugh difference!

Makes sense?

Marco

Back