Smarty ERROR 14

JasonCzerak

I'll send an email to Bob as well. However maybe someone has an idea.

I'm going to try a new cable for the smarty today, a friend is local-ish and has it with him in his truck. I do kind have it twisted up a little. maybe a broke a wire in it?. possible.

I made 4 tune changes today, washed the truck. Went to put 1.6 on since I think I solved my rattle issues and I get ERROR 14 before even 1% shows on the programming.

When programming with the 1.6 software, it will think I have the key off when it is in fact on. Takes a little longer checking software and error before showing 1%.

With the recovery file it it realizes the key is on and it fails with error 14.

I hear a few extra dings when the key is turned on.

I'm in process letting it sit with the key on for an hour. I've tried a 10 minute version and the wait to start light came on and went off as it should when it's near 60 degrees out.

I've never needed to pull any fuses while programming, ever. Voltage on my stereo capacitor shorts 13.5-13.7. I'll try pulling fuses as well for giggles.

no abnormal flashing of anything on the dash other then the extra dings.

i'll clean out the ODBII port and use some dielectirc grease.

Other Ideas?

If my ECM is fried. Procedure to move what is most likely a vin locked smarty to the new ecm if a cummins npower has one for me tomorrow?

I've tried it for 10 minutes, didn't work. trying it again for a loner period.

Forest, hosed ECU ya think? Got any 04.5's on hand?

I had an issue a few years ago with a diablosport tuner that was fixed by unhooking the batteries... Jason, after you unhook them, (make sure completely unhooked) touch the positives to ground,, should discharge any capacitors in there... I would really doubt your ecm is fried...

I hope it works. I guess they can get kinda hung up mid-flash. I've just never had one saved by the power reset trick.

Fords yes, but never a Cummins. I hope it works out for you.

And no, I don't have any 04.5's. That's the hardest ECM to find IMO. 05 a close runner up

none of the suggested tricks worked... I looked over the ODBII plug and it looks fine, all the wires are tight and secure. added a little dielectric grease and nothing.

going to remove the recovery file and put the 1.5b file back on the smarty and see what happens with that.

I'm not sure as I set it and left, but I don't think this thing even started the program much. but I do have a no start situation.

I'll pull the plugs on the ECU tomorrow and inspect everything there. Then it's time to call a tow truck to move it 4 foot to the left.

Forest, Will an 05 ecu drop right in with out issue? If so, can I barrow one for a day?

Last edited:
put 1.5 on the ssr. Can't read codes.. keeps thinking the key is off. possibly a problem with the ECU not being programmed right?

Also, with 1.5 (vs the recovery file with error 14). I just get a communication error while trying to program. it realized the previous program failed and I'm assuming its trying to make it go back to stock.

Next step is to unplug/replug the ECU in and inpect them wires. I'm out of ideas unless bob has ideas, short of getting a new ECU.

Try pulling the abs fuse and retry downloading if you havent already. I read something similar to this happening and this fixed it.

tapatalking from droidx

The 04.5 and 05 ecm's are the same and you can use the recovery program to get the 05 to work.

The strange part to me is washing the truck and then having this problem start.

Sounds like something shorted out. You did change out a lot of sensors .

error 14 is a no communication to the ecm.

Hope this helps

If it got hung up mid flash, it will be in recovery mode. If it's repeatedly unable to communicate with the key on, there's nothing coming across the communication writes. I'm guessing dead ECM :(

Not a common occurence, but I've had it happen on an 03 Ecm one. It was a used unit that I had flashed at leat 60 times myself. No telling what the history was on it before I got it.

The 04.5 and 05 ecm's are the same and you can use the recovery program to get the 05 to work.

The strange part to me is washing the truck and then having this problem start.

Sounds like something shorted out. You did change out a lot of sensors .

error 14 is a no communication to the ecm.

Hope this helps

We were never able to get an 05 ecm to work. It would take the program and start and run, but it's as if there was no APPS. Idle only. But we could very well have been doing something wrong.

We were never able to get an 05 ecm to work. It would take the program and start and run, but it's as if there was no APPS. Idle only. But we could very well have been doing something wrong.
IIRC 04.5's had the APPS and 05's didn't.

Last edited:
The 05 ecm will work with the correct recovery installed. Jason has the correct recovery for his truck.

thought the 05 apps was there, just moved into the cab at the peddal

Bob, will i have a locked out smarty if i swap ecu's? it never got to stock as far as i can tell. or is that part of the function of the recovery program?

Forest, got a hookup on an 05 ecu? if theres a differance for transmissions, manual.

Back