Smarty ERROR 14

The wet down is suspect, I'd clean that ground near the drivers battery. The one from the ecm to the fender.

Last edited:
thought the 05 apps was there, just moved into the cab at the peddal

Bob, will i have a locked out smarty if i swap ecu's? it never got to stock as far as i can tell. or is that part of the function of the recovery program?

Forest, got a hookup on an 05 ecu? if theres a differance for transmissions, manual.
I meant the head mounted APPS sensor.

The recovery file should overwrite the ECM.

I meant the head mounted APPS sensor.

The recovery file should overwrite the ECM.

i get the overwrite part. ohhh wait. the recovery file writes my vin to the ecu right? that solves the vin locked smarty question if thats the case.

Best idea for any 04.5-05 owner to do is to wire a second OBDII port directly into the ECM and eliminate any chances of outside wiring interference when you do any kind of Smarty upgrade.

Even if you run an aftermarket fuel system wired as a standalone the factory fuel pump breaker/fuse needs removed when you do any Smarty upgrades with the 04.5-05.I also removed the one for my grid heaters,nitrous system and train horns as I do not ever want to see that error on my truck again.Happened to me twice and about left me stranded.I am convinced its a wiring feedback issue that causes it and on mine it still did it after I cleaned all the grounds and added an extra on to the motor.

Snedge and LReiff were the ones who suggested the second OBDII port and I am going to have the truck outfitted with it asap.

I've been trying to figure out for years now what is collecting at the bottom of the fan plug. it's coolant I'm fairly certain as that's the only fluid that SLOWLY disappears Never any in oil reports.. Crank sensor plug looks dry.

hmmmm.

Jason, I have seen once I had to unplug the engine harness with the key on, once I plugged it back in I could hear the injectors clicking. Then I could start it. When it decided not to work it would crank but not start. The problem turned out to be the fan clutch was bad.

I've unplugged it, dried it up.... AND IT'S PROGRAMMING!!!!!!

w000000000T!!!!!!11!!!111!!!111!!

Fuking computers.

I think it's time for electric fans..... I've been itching for a reason to pull that POS in the way mechanical one.

here's a silly question. I'm fairly sure I nailed this plug with water. I wash under the truck all the time. If it's shorting something out enough to prevent programming.. what has this done to other sensors that may affect other operations of the truck?

I programmed it back to stock with it unplugged. I plugged it back in, abs fues, battery terminals, etc, etc,etc and programmed 1.5 on the truck with out issue. I didn't start it yet. My assumption is water pooled and hosed things up (pun intended).

thinking until I figure out why coolant is leaking so slowly that I'd wrap it in some cloth

Last edited:
I would say if it has affected any other sensors, it would set a CEL

When my fan was bad it only set a code once in a while. That is why I beat my head against the wall trying to find the issue.

It would throw more trans codes than anything, but you are on a manual ECM and mine was screwing with my auto. Might shift into 2nd, normally would not. May start, may just crank. Amazed to find it was just the fan.

it starts and runs on 1.6. i got one tune in on the road. the second one failed! i could read codes and the truck started so i just went home. an hour later i could change the tune.

ill see about the fan clutch removal or replacement

Fan clutch is pricey for new. Go searching for electrics during this darkened Friday I guess. I priced a new one 2 years ago and it was around $280.

My buddy jason can get dodge parts just above cost for me. but i do like the electric fan approach better

Someone on this site built a shroud for two SHO fans. thinking about that l.

Back