Smarty TNTR - the newest one

The original poster is completely correct in pointing out that the current Smarty documentation for the S06 Revo timing parameters is contradictory.

In the "News" section of the Mads website, the May 18, 2012 update refers to a .pdf with further contradictory timing info.

http://www.madselectronics.com/downloadfiles/New_5.9L_Tuning.pdf

"New 5.9L tuning software release!
All 5.9L tuning softwares have been totally revised!
• The default timing (# 2) is now the highest one.
Timing # 3 is less timing advance than # 2.
Timing # 4 is less timing advance than # 3.

Revised date: 05-17-2012"

It is CRITICAL for the Mad Electronics folks to clarify & then correct their documentation. There is no excuse for this, not even the language limitation for the Smarty personnel based in Italy.

I've said it before & I'll say it again. The EFI Live folks are providing superior customer service than the Mads Electronics folks ever have & the Mads Electronics folks need to step up.

I thought we asked a few simple,easy to answer questions.

junk... sucks putting 20,000 dollars into my truck and can't even tune the stupid thing. Guess I'll just wait for H&S or EFI.

Has anyone tried to contact bob outside the forum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes he forwarded my message to Source Automotive. I talked to a guy named Bill who was very helpful. I've tryed like every single tune on tnt-r, some better and some worse than others. I found 1 tune that seems to work the best. He said I need UDC when it comes out or wait til EFI comes out, theres just not enough adjustability with tnt-r.

The new timing map's are correct. Default timing is the most advanced timing.

http://madselectronics.com/downloadfiles/New_5.9L_Tuning.pdf

Bob,

Just want to clarify. In the past NOS has always had the least timing, and aftermarket injectors the most, with huge injectors in the middle. Now that is opposite based on what you linked and this

http://www.madselectronics.com/downloadfiles/RevoTNT_SW_Instructions.pdf

The bigger the injector the less timing you want, but based on those two links a huge injector has more timing that a small one. NOS should have less timing than either of those, but yet according to what those say it has the most.

Something is off.

It probably should read

TM2: Aftermarket Injectors
TM3: HUGE Aftermarket Injectors (less than #2)
TM3: NOS (less than #3).

I could be wrong, but the physics behind timing and nozzle size/NOS haven't changed.

I could be wrong, but the physics behind timing and nozzle size/NOS haven't changed.

Hmmm...
This is why the thread was started to begin with.
I still would like to know what each number setting is in real world timing value degrees,it sure would be alot simplier.

Hmmm...
I still would like to know what each number setting is in real world timing value degrees,it sure would be alot simplier.

andy, pretty sure that can be done with a v2...i looked at alot on original tnt-r.....scary stuff.......

Hmmm...

Yeah peak numbers would be nice.

andy, pretty sure that can be done with a v2...i looked at alot on original tnt-r.....scary stuff.......

George....
With all due respect and since it has been well documented already...
The v2 or EFI does not help the 03-05 owners at all,so how does that even relate to helping us?.Those of us who are not running the older Vin Locked TNT/R can not be helped with what you have claimed to see.

The newer software versions have much different timing tables than the old program,thus our reasoning for looking for answers.I am still looking to find out what each timing numbers is equal to in actual timing degrees,many of our questions would be answered with that alone.

BTW George....
Thee are many of us still waiting for your honest,same track-weather conditions day,back to back comparison of your EFI Vs the newest TNT/R.

George....
The v2 or EFI does not help the 03-05 owners at all,so how does that even relate to helping us?.Those of us who are not running the older Vin Locked TNT/R can not be helped with what you have claimed to see.

The newer software versions have much different timing tables than the old program,thus our reasoning for looking for answers.I am still looking to find out what each timing numbers is equal to in actual timing degrees,many of our questions would be answered with that alone.

BTW George....
Thee are many of us still waiting for your honest,same track-weather conditions day,back to back comparison of your EFI Vs the newest TNT/R.

Andy, I doubt that will happen with anyone that can go back to back. Reason being is when you return the Smarty to stock is doesnt FULLY return to stock. No one would want to deal with the problems associated with this.

When I first switched over to EFILive from my Smarty I was getting checksum codes like crazy and was having major ghosts in my tuning. Example; like taking off from a redlight under normal throttle and getting rail hang.

Only way I cured this was to visit the Stealer for a 45 minute fresh flash and cost me ching out of my pocket. If the Smarty FULLY returned to stock then I dont think that guys would mind doing this comparison for you.

I'm not knocking Smarty because I rocked it for years but, it will NEVER see my ECM again.

George....

BTW George....

i forgot about your year truck andy..i looked at the original vin locked tnt-r tables on my own truck with another member on here that knew exactly what he was looking at..if you wanna know anymore then that,pm me......and stop making **** up, theres not many people waiting to see MY back to back comparison, just you..i ran smarty for years and it treated me good.but efi is just stellar.youll see when and if you switch, and its out...see ya soon.

Last edited:
Andy, I doubt that will happen with anyone that can go back to back. Reason being is when you return the Smarty to stock is doesnt FULLY return to stock. No one would want to deal with the problems associated with this.

When I first switched over to EFILive from my Smarty I was getting checksum codes like crazy and was having major ghosts in my tuning. Example; like taking off from a redlight under normal throttle and getting rail hang.

Only way I cured this was to visit the Stealer for a 45 minute fresh flash and cost me ching out of my pocket. If the Smarty FULLY returned to stock then I dont think that guys would mind doing this comparison for you.

I'm not knocking Smarty because I rocked it for years but, it will NEVER see my ECM again.

Makes sense to me,thank you!...
Makes me quiver now thinking about moving to something else for my truck.

George...
You can believe all you want or what you care to,I can attest that there are many who know your truck is a consistent runner,hooks well and can run on or near the dial all day long that would like to see a back to back comparison.However,I was unaware of the issues that come along with getting away from MADS and that does not allow for this to happen.You say that EFI is the schizz,I guess that those of us 03-05 guys will just sit and wait to find that out ourselves.Its a shame to me that even their own dealers(EFI that is)are saying at least 2 years until any release hits the market for these trucks.By then they will have missed the deal,as will MADS with the UDC it appears,and many of of will have moved on to other rides and/or products.

I only wish I had something else to run in my truck to go to some of the upcoming shows and rid myself of all of the non-running correctly MADS products that they do not care to support.

Last edited:
Makes sense to me,thank you!...
Makes me quiver now thinking about moving to something else for my truck.

George...
You can believe all you want or what you care to,I can attest that there are many who know your truck is a consistent runner,hooks well and can run on or near the dial all day long that would like to see a back to back comparison.However,I was unaware of the issues that come along with getting away from MADS and that does not allow for this to happen.You say that EFI is the schizz,I guess that those of us 03-05 guys will just sit and wait to find that out ourselves.Its a shame to me that even their own dealers(EFI that is)are saying at least 2 years until any release hits the market for these trucks.By then they will have missed the deal,as will MADS with the UDC it appears,and many of of will have moved on to other rides and/or products.

I only wish I had something else to run in my truck to go to some of the upcoming shows and rid myself of all of the non-running correctly MADS products that they do not care to support.

well andy i know for a fact theres a ton of people just like you waiting. including a handfull of my friends..i really hope it comes out sooner then that.and efi on your truck would really be something...

Zeus group buy?

I'm running around with stock tuning at the moment. Taking a break from the Smarty......seems it's still the best we have though for now.

Zeus group buy?

I have already researched the Zeus standalone and know its not a option to those of us who drive our trucks on the street.They,Zeus,are far away from this product being able to do that software wise as its still basically a on/off throttle product.Guess if you run your truck wide open on the street it may work for you but those of us who don't it will create a problem.The Zeus may be a great product itself but for the average owner,it will not work.

I am guessing the real answer is to strip my truck completely,set everything aside and start shopping for a low mileage 06-07 5.9 truck to build and ship the 2005 down the road.