So....500hp...

I was mostly responding to Steve's comment about 200k+500hp= motor destruction. My point being if he was correct my truck would have blown something long ago. I have 40k of daily driving and the prior mentioned 60-80 passes at 500hp.

So far the only issues I have had are , a nuked turbo at 180k two weeks after I bought the truck, which I caused through bad tuning+sipped limiter barked the charger hard at 97 mph. And #1 injector started dribbling and hazing.

**** I've got two buddies at 500 or above on lb7 with high miles. One made 504 and the other made 620. They run them hard too. Both r pullers/dd. seems like any motor in this sport has limits. Like Wayne said, it's how u drive it, and how it's tuned(I think ken mentioned this). Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that ****ty tuning and driving like ken block=bad news.

Most of the failures I have seen is from people trying to tow at pumped up power levels....

Heavy loads even at stock power seems to be the magic trick for killing headgaskets. I see way more gasket failures on 5500's than pickups, which leads me to think the expansion rate differential of the head and block during heat cycling are a greater cause than cylinder pressures

**** I've got two buddies at 500 or above on lb7 with high miles. One made 504 and the other made 620. They run them hard too. Both r pullers/dd. seems like any motor in this sport has limits. Like Wayne said, it's how u drive it, and how it's tuned(I think ken mentioned this). Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that ****ty tuning and driving like ken block=bad news.

lol, i friggin love ken block! i could watch those gymkhana vids all day long! what's up jer?

lol, i friggin love ken block! i could watch those gymkhana vids all day long! what's up jer?

Haha ya we watch the crap out of those vids. I'm just trying to keep up with u and John man. That's about it. Just bought a 366 and that's only the beginning. :charger:

My fellow staffer on DP mag (Mike McGlothlin) told me I couldn't do it, so now of course I have to....LOL

doesn't McGlothlin live in IL? tell him to come hang out with guys like me and jeremiah...we'll show him what a duramax can do....by taking him to a pull where rob hall is running lol

Last edited:
Stock turbo, intake (airbox mod) exhaust, lift pump, PPE Hot+2 Race plus Duramaximizer.....think it can be done? Or need more mods?

tune, exhaust, lift pump & tranny should get you somewhere around 500hp
Id add a larger airhorn & boost valve or adjustable wastegate

after spin the rollers pull some weight off & get it in the 12s

200K LB7 and 500 RWHP = broken motor!

Tell that to my friend that has 460,xxx on an 02, and oil analysis shows its still got life in it. Its had a 500 hp tune since about the 150k mark. He changes the oil every 25k, a mix of amsoil, rotella, and lucas.

Before you beg to differ with someone, you might want to try reading the thread so you dont look like an a$$.

Oh I guess I'm just a newbie in your eyes and look like an A$$ but try again mister high and mighty puller lets see you put that puller out on the road and see how long it last.:pop:

Oh I guess I'm just a newbie in your eyes and look like an A$$ but try again mister high and mighty puller lets see you put that puller out on the road and see how long it last.:pop:

I never said you were a newbie? I have no clue how long youve been around anything, i never said your facts were wrong, i simply said you might want to read, because what you begged to differ with, wasnt what was even said. My truck was on the road, it ran 10.7s as a street truck? Wtf does this have to do with anything? Once again, looking like a high and mighty ass.

Last edited:
Tell that to my friend that has 460,xxx on an 02, and oil analysis shows its still got life in it. Its had a 500 hp tune since about the 150k mark. He changes the oil every 25k, a mix of amsoil, rotella, and lucas.

Better retire that truck and put it in the Ribley's Book of Records. It may have a 500 hp tune, but odds are pretty good it doesn't see that kind of RWHP very often. A daily driven 500hp truck hardly if ever sees it's max hp. If it tows or is at WOT for very long the motor will start to loose compression because the rods will start to shorten. Also the EGT's will go though the roof. 25,000 miles between oil changes even backs up that statement unless he is just plain stupid. If you were running that truck hard you couldn't you wouldn't get that kind of mileage on oil with out one of those super duper inline cleaners I don't care what you put in it.

I doubt most trucks see more than 200-250 RWHP for most daily driving applications no matter what tune is in them. A stock engine with a 500hp tune will spin the rear wheels very easy if you get on it at all unless you are running it in 4x4 and I doubt many guys do that. Replacing tires every few thousand miles gets old. So I guess I have to say I'm from Missouri on that entire statement.

Well, as another example of a truck that probably shouldn't still be running. I bought my 01 GMC 2 years ago in april. I bought the truck with pressure in the cooling system, and 177k or so on the clock. After poking around on Duramaxforum, i found that my truck got the big dipper built tranny somewhere around 165k, after that owner nuked the original Using a quadzilla stealth 2 stacked with and Edge j/a and propane injection. When i bought the truck it didnt use any coolant or get hot, so i said F it and started truck pulling it. Shortly there after i ditched the edge juice with attitude for EFI live and a roughly 525RWHP tune. Winter time came and i proceeded to cart my plow around almost everyday all winter on the max effort tune. Finally a year and a few months after purchasing it i decided to change the heads, at which point i added a single stage nitrous system with a .120 jet ( everything i found on the web said anything bigger than an .80 was going to be an instant meltdown), i burned about 30 pounds of nitrous from july to the end of october, the 305/50/20s i ran on the rear for the summer are bald, the truck is getting ready to roll 201,000 and she still seems to be loving life.

What are most people doing to the trans to hold these low 500hp tunes? Converter and vb would probably do the trick for a 6spd? Also heard of people just running the transgo kits.

I have a buddy running a single plate billet converter, transgo and fresh stock clutches. Dynos 498 and has fair few passes on it.

Better retire that truck and put it in the Ribley's Book of Records. It may have a 500 hp tune, but odds are pretty good it doesn't see that kind of RWHP very often. A daily driven 500hp truck hardly if ever sees it's max hp. If it tows or is at WOT for very long the motor will start to loose compression because the rods will start to shorten. Also the EGT's will go though the roof. 25,000 miles between oil changes even backs up that statement unless he is just plain stupid. If you were running that truck hard you couldn't you wouldn't get that kind of mileage on oil with out one of those super duper inline cleaners I don't care what you put in it.

I doubt most trucks see more than 200-250 RWHP for most daily driving applications no matter what tune is in them. A stock engine with a 500hp tune will spin the rear wheels very easy if you get on it at all unless you are running it in 4x4 and I doubt many guys do that. Replacing tires every few thousand miles gets old. So I guess I have to say I'm from Missouri on that entire statement.

Ken, he's talking about Jeff Toman's old red truck. Jeff does regular oil analysis in it. It is what Vaz says it is...a mid 12 truck that gets used every day at work.

100% agreed on how much power actually gets used in DD use. Thats the great thing about these diesels, their versatility.

Last edited:
What are most people doing to the trans to hold these low 500hp tunes? Converter and vb would probably do the trick for a 6spd? Also heard of people just running the transgo kits.

I have a buddy running a single plate billet converter, transgo and fresh stock clutches. Dynos 498 and has fair few passes on it.

Either a full TRANSGO kit or a 6 speed C1/C2 drum with a Jr and good clutches with pressure knockdown eliminated would hold 500HP if driven with a good tune and using your head. I would think the TRANSTAR single disc billet converter would be hard pressed to last for long though at that power level, triple disc would be a much better option.

My buddies is a local builders converter, I can't speak for the transtar units but his seems to be hanging in there pretty well.

As much as I dislike purple parts, Ive heard so many excellent things about the five star that I'm strongly considering one.