Sold 47re, new owner says no good

diesel_importer

So I took a good known 47re out of a buddies truck. It sat in my shop for 2 months, sold it locally to a kid. He had a shop install it and they are saying it won't move an inch. I HATE situations like this!
Mechanic says he didn't even drop the pan and install a new filter. Sounds like a genius so far.

Any ideas what he could have not done right? I just can't see this trans not doing anything. It ran perfect.

Ask them what pressures they are reading. When they say they haven't, tell him to take it elsewhere or tough ****

Go check it out for yourself.
Don't tell them you are coming, just drop in.

Mark.

Kids gonna bring it to me tmrw.

I asked him about the t-case, fluid, etc.

After finding out he didn't drop the pan, change filter, clean out the lines/cooler, I don't trust him to do anything else. I'd rather check it out myself.

Bad think is the screwed around with it long enough to smoke it.

haven't heard from them since Friday evening. I dropped the pan before we removed it and there was almost zero material on the magnet. When they came and picked it up, I guess the fluid had drained from valve body and filled the pan back up, so I know it had several quarts of fluid still in it. I just don't see how it wouldn't move at all, unless he wasn't leaving it in neutral.

What year truck did the trans come out of and what year truck did it go in as valve body internal harness is different between years. Might be the problem.

they could have checked the fluid level with it off..
Seen that happen more than once..

they could have checked the fluid level with it off..
Seen that happen more than once..

I sold last week th 350 transmission and TC off my 69 firebird. Worked fine.
Buyer called and told that no gears at all.
Asked him the fluid level. Got answer that fluid level was ok.
Yesterday went to see in hes garage whats wrong whit the transmission.
Started the engine, moved the shifter few times through all gears. Measured the fluid and oops. No fluid. After adding some fluid, transmission worked fine.
Hope everything works out fine for you.

Last edited:
They still haven't brought the truck. Both trucks are '99 I believe. First thing will be pressure gauge and fluid check.

No transmission builder will install another transmission without flushing out the contaminants from the failed transmission, if him and his installer didn't do that I would say "see ya", this is on you!!!

If the buyer had it installed without flushing out the converter and fluid lines, that could be the problem, flushed all the debri back through the transmission. That mistake would be on the installer, as everybody knows that you have to flush the lines out to get the trash out, after a transmission failure.

^ I agree, totally. This dude can't be too bright. I'm only helping, because I've been on both sides. They installed a new converter, and even if he didn't flush the lines, it seems like it would have moved when put in gear. I don't think it has any pressure whatsoever.

If I didn't put any fluid in it, I probably wouldn't call you back to tell you either. :kick:

Check that pressure!!!
Here are some thoughts and how you need to find the answers without a direct question to them to find the facts.

If they installed the converter on the flex plate first ( I have seen this ) They broke the pump! No pressure.

If the converter wasn't fully seated and they tightened the bolts on the bellhousing, same thing!!! No pressure.

Good luck.