dieseltweeker id assume youre in EEP country
i heard last year they were building one...to the tune of $13,000
you know terry schafer?

feelmecummin said:
dieseltweeker id assume youre in EEP country
i heard last year they were building one...to the tune of $13,000
you know terry schafer?
i just heard yesterday that eep is selling them for 15k

Hello. Just came across this thread about our LSM block and wanted to give some info about it. The block was machined from 43RC 4140 steel on a Makino A81. We wanted to lighten the block at the beginning of design, but were specifically told by the customer to leave it solid and heavy. It was to be used for pulling and he wanted the weight. The block has full water cooling using a semi wet sleeve design, LSM keyed lifters, and large roller cam. As per cust request, cam location had to remain stock.

Shortly after PRI, Race Engine Technology magazine did a little write-up titled, "Word's Strongest Engine Block". With the thinnest cross section in the entire block at .400" we joked with them that it literally was bulletproof.

Al

LSM System Engineering

Hey Al,

Did the owner specify that the CNC files were public domain? Meaning, could anyone order a billet block like that from LSM or are they protected?

brnaodn.

joefarmer said:
Hey Al,

Did the owner specify that the CNC files were public domain? Meaning, could anyone order a billet block like that from LSM or are they protected?

brnaodn.
:pop: Good question!!!!:pop:

And welcome to Competition Diesel!!

How would you achieve the clamping force on the head necessary with the aluminum threads in the block? Looks like you would risk pulling them out or having endless leaking issues.
More bolts?

joefarmer said:
Hey Al,

brnaodn.

LSM owns the design. The customer generally pays for the block only. Yes, anyone could order a block like that though the design would be updated to incorporate the latest bells and whistles.

How would you achieve the clamping force on the head necessary with the aluminum threads in the block? Looks like you would risk pulling them out or having endless leaking issues.
More bolts?

The block we made was steel so it wasn't an issue. If we were to make an aluminum block we would have to look at that issue then. More bolts would certainly help if there is room to fit more bolts. Another option is larger diameter studs drilled deeper in the block with a large thread engagement area.

Al

CC12V said:
More bolts?

A proper design would use an insert (Helicoil, Timesert, etc.) and pull from deeper in the block.

LSM_AL said:
LSM owns the design. The customer generally pays for the block only. Yes, anyone could order a block like that though the design would be updated to incorporate the latest bells and whistles.

Al

Dose that go with your camshafts as well??

Zach

LSM_AL said:

The block we made was steel so it wasn't an issue. If we were to make an aluminum block we would have to look at that issue then. More bolts would certainly help if there is room to fit more bolts. Another option is larger diameter studs drilled deeper in the block with a large thread engagement area.

Al
What's a block like this weigh in at?

LOL do ya need a drag race test bed? LOL see my avatar.....

DieselTweaker said:
Dose that go with your camshafts as well??

Zach

When it comes to blocks, if the customer wants to buy the design as well, then that is an option. At that point he owns the block and design so nobody else can get that block. It's much more expensive but it is an option. With all the engineering, design, and machining time it takes to make a new block, nobody could make a profit if we designed a one-off block for each customer without charging accordingly.

When it comes to camshafts, we have always respected our customers privacy concerning specs. If someone calls up and asks for the same grind as a previous customer, we wont give out that information.

Al

RacinDuallie said:
What's a block like this weigh in at?

LOL do ya need a drag race test bed? LOL see my avatar.....

LSM AL-
Weight?????:poke:

And a few pics of this beauty you speak of would be nice.....:clap:

The bare block came in at something like 550lbs. The customer wanted it heavy and we accommodated. I'll see about getting some pics.

Al

LSM_AL said:
The bare block came in at something like 550lbs. The customer wanted it heavy and we accommodated. I'll see about getting some pics.

Al
:aiwebs_029: Damn that's too heavy for a drag racing application.....