some flow numbers off of the new head

I think shops are going to have to re-think their builds because they will be going from building motors where rpm is for inertia only, to rpm as a way to make more hp.

I think shops are going to have to re-think their builds because they will be going from building motors where rpm is for inertia only, to rpm as a way to make more hp.

Ron, you are right. Toward that end, we developed our 55mm cams for this purpose. With .771" valve lift intake and .787" exhaust we are ready for the R's

The valves are .100" longer, we redesigned our springs to handle the added lift as well. With a tuned runner intake, some f the new charger technology combined with some of the new fast cam pumps and our new high compression pistons....... I can't wait to see what 2012 holds in store for the diesel industry!

Zach

Or maybe it was "Whatchu wone do?!"

I don't even have a 12valve and I'm getting worked up over this thing! I hate to say it, but yeah the 12valve owns 2012.

Heads and valves are $2900
springs retainers and locks are $549 we have two versions depending on what rpm and how much lift you want to run.

The heads will need to be put in a vat or power washed to get all of the machining debris out. The valves will need to be lapped at minimum or have a trick valve job if it is a competition job.

It was pure luck that I got 309CFM on the first day of porting and modifying valves. Out of 3 intake valves we had made, I picked the right one first time round. Valve angles, backcut angle, angle width and stem diameter all make huge differences. Every change in valve lost flow, even the smallest changes. With all of the other valves max flow was 279-289 but swirl increased.

I played with the head a little more and am getting closer to maxing it out on the 1.850" valve. The numbers on the head are using the same valve as yesterday.

this was with a 1.850" 45 degree seat angle 35 degree back cut, undercut 8mm stem, and radiused margin

.050 41
.100 79
.200 130.5
.300 186.4
.400 241
.500 279.6
.600 301.1
.700 317

Last edited:
With no other changes except a flat margin we lost a good bit of flow.

.050 41
.100 69.5
.200 117.4
.300 166.2
.400 214.7
.500 249.3
.600 271.3
.700 279

I guess what I am getting at is do not let anybody mess with the ports or valve angles unless they have a flow bench!

God has a hard-on for marines.......

We all have a hard-on for this new toy....

I hope we will get the next batch in by January, but you know how time tables are when you are a small manufacturer. If people need these for a winter build, I suggest getting one now.

Last edited:
What do you have to do the pistons to run crazy lift like that?

Depending on how the engine is set up with valve face depth, piston protrusion, you can get buy with .602" int. and .602" exhaust without fly-cuts in a best case scenario or .050" at worst and .680" intake/.676"exhaust with as little as .100" or worst case .150" all depending on centerlines and what machining the block and head have done.

no need to cut it off, just let it hang off the end! make up a return system for all fluids........ joking of course.

Depending on how the engine is set up with valve face depth, piston protrusion, you can get buy with .602" int. and .602" exhaust without fly-cuts in a best case scenario or .050" at worst and .680" intake/.676"exhaust with as little as .100" or worst case .150" all depending on centerlines and what machining the block and head have done.

Oh ok, so at the 300cfm mark around .600 lift what can are you looking at? And what rpm/horsepower range is that ideal for?

too bad you can't cut 2 cyl off that head. I'd be first in line for a 4BT version of one.

don't put it past Zach to make it happen!!!

the foundry that's doing the work does 6B 4B and 6C heads. It probably wouldn't take much to do a run of 4B heads.

They'll cost a good deal MORE than the 6B heads, but it might be worth it to cast 50 or so for the lunatic 4B guys out there.

being able to make a cool (EGT) 400rwhp out of a 4B on a single turbo would be VERY attractive to a lot of people

I'm cutting one tomorrow! We are going to just add a plate after cylinder 4 that has an o-ring. It only has to hold 15-17psi coolant ;)

Back