Speed Sensor?

DOUBLE NICKEL

Just bought a 96 12v auto and the speedometer does not work. Got under the truck and the speed sensor was unhooked. Went to look and try to plug it back in and there is no place for it to plug in. The truck has an aftermarket billet tranny that was put in 4 months ago. I'm guessing it is a different model tranny cause it is suppose to plug in somewhere on the tail shaft correct? Is there anything I can do to get the speedometer working or do I just have to put a gps in the truck?

Thanks
Ryan

Your speedo is run by a speed sensor in the rear end. There is a speed sensor in the tranny, but that one is used by the computer (along with your TPS) to run the tranny.

Speed sensor supposed to be in the tail housing for sure. GPS will work, but might be a bit of trouble for mileage traveled.

Well the plug that's hanging will not reach to the rear end. It is connected in the same bundle with 2 other plugs that are pluged into the tranny, but there is no place for it to be plugged into.

This is the speed sensor in the tranny:
IMG_1907.4.JPG

This is the Vehicle Speed Sensor in the rearend:
SISC105.jpg

ive got a 94' 2500 4x4 and the contacts for the plug on the diff speed sensor corroded off, speedo still works. i was thinkin that the one in the rear might b why my cruise dont work

This is the speed sensor in the tranny:
IMG_1907.4.JPG

This is the Vehicle Speed Sensor in the rearend:
SISC105.jpg
Ok I'm begining to think that the plug that's hanging has nothing to do with the speedometer, it looks nothing like either of these. It looks almost like a 4 prong trail plug but with only 3 prongs, it is the female end though.

ive got a 94' 2500 4x4 and the contacts for the plug on the diff speed sensor corroded off, speedo still works. i was thinkin that the one in the rear might b why my cruise dont work

That's weird cause my speedo doesent work but the cruise works just fine.

well, im not surprised, cause from what i know about diesels, biggens in particular. it more appropriatly called rpm hold not cruise.

dodge trucks 94-97 have the speedometer and vss input in the tail housing of the t-case. 98-2002 dodges have it in the rear diff and read off the same tone ring used for the abs. You have a t case out of a 98 or newer truck probably a 241dhd, I have the exact same problem in my truck. With no vss signal in an automatic you will have no speedometer or odometer and worst of all no convertor lockup. Since the computer has no idea how fast you are going.

dodge trucks 94-97 have the speedometer and vss input in the tail housing of the t-case. 98-2002 dodges have it in the rear diff and read off the same tone ring used for the abs. You have a t case out of a 98 or newer truck probably a 241dhd, I have the exact same problem in my truck. With no vss signal in an automatic you will have no speedometer or odometer and worst of all no convertor lockup. Since the computer has no idea how fast you are going.

That's what I was affraid of, dangit! Thatnks for the helpful info. I do however have a lockup switch on the dash and it works though.

So there's no way I can get the speedometer to work without replacing the tail shaft? Can I even change out the tail shaft with an older model? Will it bolt up directly?

I will be taking the tail housing out off mine tomorrow after work and seeing what I can come up with to work on my 241dhd. Do you know what t-case is in your truck? If it is the 241dld you could just change out the tail housing and put it in that way. I'll let you know what I figure out tomorrow.

I will be taking the tail housing out off mine tomorrow after work and seeing what I can come up with to work on my 241dhd. Do you know what t-case is in your truck? If it is the 241dld you could just change out the tail housing and put it in that way. I'll let you know what I figure out tomorrow.

Ok thanks. I don't have a transfer case as my truck is just a 2wd. I have no idea as to even what tranny is in the truck. I just know what all is in the tranny.

Oh. duh missed the two wheel drive part. My buddy has a two wheel drive 96 and his is in the tail housing of the tranny as well. Not sure why yours wouldn't be. I'll see if i can figure anything out.