Spool up

onetun

My spool up went from horribe to good. Just cannot understand 100% why?
Primary would lite near 2300rpm with electronics ie PPE/Smarty, now with no electronics the sucker is on fire near 2,000rpm. Makes it alot of fun to DD. Of course max boost is down and top end power is pulled back, however I could manage with that if I have better street manners.
The temperature outside is around 10f..

All comments and theory's are welcome.
Rob

That little Girble runnin inside that thing must Really like the cold weather!!

lol

Sorry, I have no clue for the real deal!!

btw, fired mine last night!! =)
Got get my F1 springs in it (shipped today) and do a retorque before I will drive it though

That little Girble runnin inside that thing must Really like the cold weather!!

lol

Sorry, I have no clue for the real deal!!

btw, fired mine last night!! =)
Got get my F1 springs in it (shipped today) and do a retorque before I will drive it though

How much does the cold weather play in how quick them turn>

dude that iis some good news, I see Friday is your day to re torque and then hit the dyno/

Probably you're dumping too much fuel in down low and "putting out the fire" as they say. Sounds like you need to tune your programmers to figure out the proper fuel for daily driving and quick spooling.

Mine sure runs better when it's cold out... After it gets warmed up, anyways.

When you're running the Smarty, what TM do you run on? With larger injectors, I find it easier to run torque management on 1 or 2. That way I'm able to control the fuel with my foot and it's not so touchy. I prefer SW8 with the TNT tune I'm running. Also, what timing settings are you running. When I back the timing to as low as possible, I can spool a tad quicker. I don't think it's as noticeable as you're saying, 300 RPMs, but maybe its a combination of the timing and TM?? When you were comparing it with electronics, were you running the new clutch setup? Just thinking you could possibly have been slipping the clutch a little? Just tossing out ideas! Get that thing on the dyno! I'm hoping for some ultra-quick spoolup with my new turbosss. Hopefully I'm driving it by this weekend!!!

I've always had much better luck with spool when colder. I think going down to about 60 is optimal. Anything colder in my experience doesn't make a huge difference atleast here at sea level on the east cost.

Your charger is gonna light faster without computer enhancement devices which advance timing. The more advanced timing is the more sluggish the charger will be down low. Plus the cold weather helps as well because more air is getting crammed into the cylinders now because cold air is more dense.

When you're running the Smarty, what TM do you run on? With larger injectors, I find it easier to run torque management on 1 or 2. That way I'm able to control the fuel with my foot and it's not so touchy. I prefer SW8 with the TNT tune I'm running. Also, what timing settings are you running. When I back the timing to as low as possible, I can spool a tad quicker. I don't think it's as noticeable as you're saying, 300 RPMs, but maybe its a combination of the timing and TM?? When you were comparing it with electronics, were you running the new clutch setup? Just thinking you could possibly have been slipping the clutch a little? Just tossing out ideas! Get that thing on the dyno! I'm hoping for some ultra-quick spoolup with my new turbosss. Hopefully I'm driving it by this weekend!!!

Hey Jared... (slight thread derail here, sorry Rob) how's it hangin' , man?

When you get running again, PM me with what you think about the difference in spool between yours and mine, I am definitely interested. Remember I wasn't throwing any fuel at mine when you drove it! LOL...

And Rob, hey I gotta agree a little with my man here... I run TM 1 or 2 myself just to keep smoke down and it does affect spool...

Take some timing out of it Rob. The more retarded timing, the better its going to spool to a certain extent.

I run Smarty TNT/r on level 8, Timing 4, Torque 1, RPM limit stock, Defuel stock, Rail Pressure 1.

I would try level 8 with timing 4. If it doesn't spool up, turn the Torque Management up a tad bit. But too much TQ will cause down low smoke.

With my old engine I would run on level 8 no extra timing. But there again I was not running the size of turbos you are either

With my old engine I would run on level 8 no extra timing. But there again I was not running the size of turbos you are either

yeah ol' friend.... a little difference there, Eh? There is a law in Utah about silver bullet abuse... J/K:hehe:

Hey, if I get up to Alberta next year (to Edmonton thru to Cold Lake AB) how close are you?

about 3 hours north ish of cold lake,, 4 hours north or Edmonton

I will certainly try the settings you all have suggested. I plan to try the Revo version off the website, not the R version I have ran in the past.
I do recall the PPE was quicker out of the gate than the Smarty Revo/R, I was running TM on 1 timing 2 level 5.
I might try 8 on the Revo TM 1 default timing.

And yes Jared the clutch may have had something to do with it.

I tell you with Flux 6.5's and no electronics it is blast to drive. The latest developments have got me second guessing changing huffers.

Rob

Its not that bad actually,, a little cold the last 2 days, but about par with Edmonton. It is very nice up here in the summer,, extremely hot.

Rob I think you are on to something there.... nothing to lose but time right

Flux 6.5's Rob...really? I'm feeling a lil inadequate with my measily 200hp sticks, hehe. The PPE you were running was supposed to be the "light" timing version, right? And on the Smarty TNT, timing 2 (default) is supposed to be the highest, I believe. Try switching the timing and see how she runs. In theory, increased fuel should help spool those big chargers quicker. But then again, you're running garden hoses for sticks, so who the he'll knows!

sounds like too much bottom end fuel... "increased fuel" does NOT spool turbos!!!!!!!!

you need just enough fuel to make as much EGT as possible with the air available... yes, adding fuel over stock will help spool up a turbo, but excessive fuel will stomp out a turbo with a quickness

high timing hurts spool-up too

I'm not making near the power you are, just the TNT on stock injectors, but I run the torque management on stock level. more than that is just too touchy on the pedal and too much bottom end fuel... hurts spool up. I can only imagine how horrible it would be w/ big injectors :eek:

Jeff Garmon just built a Bad AZZ CR with big chargers and it light pretty dang fast on SW8.....Turbos are a 71 over an S510....

I was astonished at how fast they light Especially since he decompressed it even a bit more than my old build...Approx. 14:1....

Back