stack socks

Yes, i wouldnt waste my time doing it that way again.

I now use a crome plastin center cap to cover it.

So what was the problem? Did you F it up or did water droplets form on the inside of the piping and cause the problem?

If "dew" formed inside the piping, then yes, what I suggested wouldn't help.

No I Did It Right, The Rain Would Still Bet In The Lower Pipe Believe It Or Not.

Those are mutually exclusive events...

You either did it right or you did it wrong and water remained trapped. There's no middle ground.

If done right you could literally stick a waterhose down the stack and every last drop would pour right out on the ground. And the only chance for still getting sooty droplets on the truck would be if dew or similar droplets were to coalesce onto the inside of the stack walls and then blow back out. But standing water would be completely the fault of the one who fabricated/designed the bell. If you had standing water remaining in the pipe you screwed it up.

You either did it right or you did it wrong and water remained trapped. There's no middle ground.

If done right you could literally stick a waterhose down the stack and every last drop would pour right out on the ground. And the only chance for still getting sooty droplets on the truck would be if dew or similar droplets were to coalesce onto the inside of the stack walls and then blow back out. But standing water would be completely the fault of the one who fabricated/designed the bell. If you had standing water remaining in the pipe you screwed it up.
if a person does it this way or not...you're still gonna get soot all over the truck. There's no way around it unless you cover the stack....plain and simple. once water gets into the stack and gets the soot that has formed on the inside walls of the stack wet it's gonna come flying out the top and get flung all over the truck. unless you wait for a while and let it dry up before you start it up. So...say it's raining outside and my truck has been sitting in a wallyworld parking lot for a half an hour and i go and start the truck...you're telling me that there will be absolutly zero soot they will get on my truck when i start it up? LOL...you're full of chit!

Oh, and anyways...i didn't start this thread by asking on how to build and plumb a stack kit. If i wanted that i would've asked it. I just simply asked for info on where i could buy a stack cover. This thread can be closed do to derailment!

if a person does it this way or not...you're still gonna get soot all over the truck. There's no way around it unless you cover the stack....plain and simple. once water gets into the stack and gets the soot that has formed on the inside walls of the stack wet it's gonna come flying out the top and get flung all over the truck. unless you wait for a while and let it dry up before you start it up. So...say it's raining outside and my truck has been sitting in a wallyworld parking lot for a half an hour and i go and start the truck...you're telling me that there will be absolutly zero soot they will get on my truck when i start it up? LOL...you're full of chit!

Oh, and anyways...i didn't start this thread by asking on how to build and plumb a stack kit. If i wanted that i would've asked it. I just simply asked for info on where i could buy a stack cover. This thread can be closed do to derailment!

Actually no, I'm not full of sh*t.

Try this on for size:

Did the bold font help the second time?

Lastly, if YOU left YOUR stack open to water and then cranked it with STANDING water in the exhaust system then yes.... aside from ANY other water source the standing water IS going to puke out all over the truck.

Now whether or not any droplets that might adhere to inside walls of the stack and then blow back on the truck is what I have plainly stated to be a valid concern for anyone NOT leaving standing water in the system.

Actually no, I'm not full of sh*t.

Try this on for size:

Did the bold font help the second time?

Lastly, if YOU left YOUR stack open to water and then cranked it with STANDING water in the exhaust system then yes.... aside from ANY other water source the standing water IS going to puke out all over the truck.

Now whether or not any droplets that might adhere to inside walls of the stack and then blow back on the truck is what I have plainly stated to be a valid concern for anyone NOT leaving standing water in the system.

appearently you are missing the point. Even if a person was the plumb the stack kit like you had said...yes water will run out...but when started up, you will still get soot all over the truck because of the water getting the soot wet. There's no way to avoid it unless you cover the stack so that water doesn't get in it.

appearently you are missing the point. Even if a person was the plumb the stack kit like you had said...yes water will run out...but when started up, you will still get soot all over the truck because of the water getting the soot wet. There's no way to avoid it unless you cover the stack so that water doesn't get in it.

What did I miss?

Maybe third time's a charm...

Maybe bold and oversized will make the third time a success. Cause I suggested water adhering to the stack walls from the begining as a potential issue, and the responses kept referring to trapped water in the piping, not droplets on the walls.

So it seems that what I initially suggested as a potential problem, does in fact happen. In which case, stacks suck and don't belong on a daily driver as they can't be made practical in terms of weatherproofing without a homosexual turnout or flapper.

For race trucks, Folgers or similar.

Wow, talking about stack covers gets some people riled up. Lol

Just Challs. I still can't believe after all the time he's been here he still has trouble finding the 7.3 pit.

get_out_of_my_head_charles.jpg

Wow, talking about stack covers gets some people riled up. Lol

haha yeah no kiddin Josh! If chucky would've just made a post to keep this thread that i started on track everything would've been kosher. The point i was trying to get across to him is that i don't give two chits about what he thinks or suggested cause his posts had absolutly nothing to do with the original question about where i can get a stack cover from. But no...he had to derail it and make post after post about how to plumb a stack the right way. Oh well, maybe he can start his own "how to" thread on how to install a stack kit without having standing water in it. I'm done with this one...i got what i need from the ones who actually made a post responding to my actual question...thanks guys.

Last edited:
haha yeah no kiddin Josh! If chucky would've just made a post to keep this thread that i started on track everything would've been kosher. The point i was trying to get across to him is that i don't give two chits about what he thinks or suggested cause his posts had absolutly nothing to do with the original question about where i can get a stack cover from. But no...he had to derail it and make post after post about how to plumb a stack the right way. Oh well, maybe he can start his own "how to" thread on how to install a stack kit without having standing water in it. I'm done with this one...i got what i need from the ones who actually made a post responding to my actual question...thanks guys.

LMAO, that's what Challs does best. Come into a thread and post how someone ****ed something up. That's all he can do, but it's ok. He jacks his little wenis to argueing over the interwebs LMAO

Hmmm.

Well if you think there is absolutely no relationship between a thread asking about products to keep water from entering a stack, and a suggestion on how to simply allow water that does enter to exit freely, potentially negating the entire need for the G'damn stack sock in the FIRST place, then logic is apparently not your strong suit.

If someone started a thread asking where to find good, sharp razors for cutting their wrists I suppose you'd slam me for suggesting they not cut their wrists in the first place as well.

:smirk:

The only reason it took so many posts to get my point across (which I'm uncertain you have grasped yet) is because you apparently couldn't understand the difference between droplets stuck to a stack, vs a puddle of water in the bottom of the exhaust pipe for quite a few posts there.

I made a suggestion. If the response had been that while that would rid the stack of standing water, but that the droplets would still blow back out from the stack walls, then it would have been a case of a simple suggestion, and rational reason for why it doesn't work.

But instead, we had post after post where people kept talking about standing water blowing back out. Precisely what my suggestion SOLVES.

If your intended use had been for a race truck this thread would make sense. For anything else, the idea of someone actually placing something over their exhaust and removing it each and every time they park the truck is comical. Even more hilarious would be if they were to then actually think that they might only use the cover if they "knew" it was going to rain...

:hehe:

I have to admit that I find it hard to respect you given the fact that you appear perfectly content to cover and uncover the exhaust on a truck each time you use it, and it's not a hobby vehicle.

That's pretty impractical. And thinking otherwise is pretty ignorant.

But don't worry. When I see your razor blade thread come up I won't waste my time trying to suggest a better solution. I won't even hesitate to put you in touch with the nearest location stocking them.

Hmmm.

Well if you think there is absolutely no relationship between a thread asking about products to keep water from entering a stack, and a suggestion on how to simply allow water that does enter to exit freely, potentially negating the entire need for the G'damn stack sock in the FIRST place, then logic is apparently not your strong suit.

If someone started a thread asking where to find good, sharp razors for cutting their wrists I suppose you'd slam me for suggesting they not cut their wrists in the first place as well.

:smirk:

The only reason it took so many posts to get my point across (which I'm uncertain you have grasped yet) is because you apparently couldn't understand the difference between droplets stuck to a stack, vs a puddle of water in the bottom of the exhaust pipe for quite a few posts there.

I made a suggestion. If the response had been that while that would rid the stack of standing water, but that the droplets would still blow back out from the stack walls, then it would have been a case of a simple suggestion, and rational reason for why it doesn't work.

But instead, we had post after post where people kept talking about standing water blowing back out. Precisely what my suggestion SOLVES.

If your intended use had been for a race truck this thread would make sense. For anything else, the idea of someone actually placing something over their exhaust and removing it each and every time they park the truck is comical. Even more hilarious would be if they were to then actually think that they might only use the cover if they "knew" it was going to rain...

:hehe:

I have to admit that I find it hard to respect you given the fact that you appear perfectly content to cover and uncover the exhaust on a truck each time you use it, and it's not a hobby vehicle.

That's pretty impractical. And thinking otherwise is pretty ignorant.

But don't worry. When I see your razor blade thread come up I won't waste my time trying to suggest a better solution. I won't even hesitate to put you in touch with the nearest location stocking them.

:hehe::blahblah1:

I'm going to get a local guy to make me a sock this week he said it should be about $50 and it will match my mitre cut.

The problem I see with stacks has been mentioned...WATER in them while the truck sits outside in a rain storm...

If you don't put the "bell" in the system, the water collects, and when the engine is fired up, it spews black sooty crap all over the truck...

If you put the "bell" in the system, you end up with an incredible mess to clean off your driveway, before the kids run through it and track it all over the place. (Prolly end up in the house.)

I'll stick to the side pipe exhaust...the only time I have sooty crap run out of it, is when I'm washing it at the car wash, and wash out the tip.

The problem I see with stacks has been mentioned...WATER in them while the truck sits outside in a rain storm...

If you don't put the "bell" in the system, the water collects, and when the engine is fired up, it spews black sooty crap all over the truck...

If you put the "bell" in the system, you end up with an incredible mess to clean off your driveway, before the kids run through it and track it all over the place. (Prolly end up in the house.)

I'll stick to the side pipe exhaust...the only time I have sooty crap run out of it, is when I'm washing it at the car wash, and wash out the tip.

hmm... how about just getting a stack sock/cover and you wont have a problem? wait, isnt that what this thread was started for anyways?

Garrett

hmm... how about just getting a stack sock/cover and you wont have a problem? wait, isnt that what this thread was started for anyways?

Garrett

Yeah, but the problem I see with a sock over top of the stack....scratches.

Thats just me though...I'm kinda picky about stuff that's shiney. Had to replace my grill cause I used a winter front for one winter, and it rubbed through the chrome finish... (Can't have that now...):hehe:

I keep a box of 1gal ziploc bags in my truck. They fit a 6" perfect, they don't scratch and if I forget them and they blow off, I didn't loose much.

got a buddy who has to order another 6" stack cover and am having him order me one. He's getting it from Joyce Becker from over on pulloff.com. As many times as he covered his stack for his pulling tracter...the thing still shines like new and no scratches. These things are really soft and there's no chance of scratching the stack.