Started my swap sooner than I thought...

zfaylor

Comp Diesel Sponsor
So, to start off ill tell this no bullchit story on how I got started on this.

Dad called me and said his truck was low on power and popping with raw fuel pouring out if the exhaust. I said well chit it's more than likely your vp. He was 50 miles away and decided to not listen to me so he drove back to work like that. I went up and threw his truck on the gooseneck and hauled it home. I had planned on Ppumping my truck so I bought a 12v engine. Decided dad could have my vp to get his truck going. Ran the codes in his truck for chits and gigs to see the p0216 and no codes came up.... I cracked the vp inlet and bumped the key. No fuel. Looked under the good and saw the wires going to his fass weren't even hooked up from when he put new batteries in.. Hooked the wires up and it runs and drives perfect. He has driven a vp with zero lift pump for 5 months now and it didn't kill it. No lie. Cannot believe that.

I said screw it time to nut up anyway and get started on the swap LOL

Hauling dads truck home with its magical vp

yty7uza3.jpg

uhy9aqe7.jpg

qemu8e5a.jpg

Good scheid lightening vp to sell

4eqa8yja.jpg

You guys might enjoy what I found from the previous owner here too:

a6u2uhav.jpg

LOL that is indeed a fitting welded to a 90* elbow for the fuel pressure gauge. I knew it was bad but it's worse now that it is in my hands. Flux core welded even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You guys might enjoy what I found from the previous owner here too:

a6u2uhav.jpg

LOL that is indeed a fitting welded to a 90* elbow for the fuel pressure gauge. I knew it was bad but it's worse now that it is in my hands. Flux core welded even.

That previous owner must be a wiz with the flux core welder to mate up those thin-walled fittings and get zero leaks! Last time I tried to do that, It took about 10 passes with the cheapo welder, one pass with the cheapo tig welder and zero leaks!

That previous owner must be a wiz with the flux core welder to mate up those thin-walled fittings and get zero leaks! Last time I tried to do that, It took about 10 passes with the cheapo welder, one pass with the cheapo tig welder and zero leaks!

Yeah this one worked pretty well considering. Zero leaks and the vp was still good so doubt any pieces went through it. I am a budget type guy myself but some things I will pay for lol

I am going with a 175 ppump which from what I gather is basically the 160 pump. I saw o. Your junker build thread they tend to like plenty of fuel pressure to them correct?

Dang, I wouldn't bank on your dad's VP lasting much longer...

Sub'd to see results of ppump

Dang, I wouldn't bank on your dad's VP lasting much longer...

Sub'd to see results of ppump

Yeah I listed my VP but at a pretty ridiculous price. If somebody wants a scheid pump bad enough its gone but it will sit on the shelf for dad if not.

Was going to bend my vp lines to fit but said screw it and ordered lines today. Should be here friday. Engine is here tomorrow. SHOULD have it running this weekend but time will tell.

I thought the same thing, but it's all the little things that kep me from getting it running in a weekend.

Exactly, it's the little things you could never plan for that keep it from happening.

I agree completely. Like I said it should be running but I will more than likely just have the pump on.

The oil feed I have figured out which was my last hurdle. It appears to be 1/8npt inlet in the stock location. We have some extremely right street elbows that will work and I will probably just get a new hydraulic line made at work as well to feed it. Easier than messin with the stock lines.

Great thing is I'm only an hour from scheid and haisley so worst case is Monday I'll get anything I was missing :D

I agree completely. Like I said it should be running but I will more than likely just have the pump on.

The oil feed I have figured out which was my last hurdle. It appears to be 1/8npt inlet in the stock location. We have some extremely right street elbows that will work and I will probably just get a new hydraulic line made at work as well to feed it. Easier than messin with the stock lines.

be careful with that, many fittings are metric. I know the oil feed on the block is M6 x 1.0 straight cut. Not sure on the pump though.

be careful with that, many fittings are metric. I know the oil feed on the block is M6 x 1.0 straight cut. Not sure on the pump though.

Glad you said something because from what I found people were saying they are 1/8. I will have to see what we can get in m6x1.0

Thanks for the heads up.

Did some reading and found the ports in a storm block are m10x1.0

Also found that's is ALMOST identical to 1/8. Many hydraulic guys tap m10 to 1:8 quite often due to having almost identical thread pitch. Don't like the idea of tapping my block though so looks like I am sourcing an adapter. Napa claims to have something.

Did some reading and found the ports in a storm block are m10x1.0

Also found that's is ALMOST identical to 1/8. Many hydraulic guys tap m10 to 1:8 quite often due to having almost identical thread pitch. Don't like the idea of tapping my block though so looks like I am sourcing an adapter. Napa claims to have something.

Correct, I was wrong when I said M6. I started thinking lol.

Summit racing also carries those fittings as well, if you need to place a order of some kind.

Post #197, pg 17
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-24v-p-pump-conversion/604816-ghosts-pump-swap-17.html

I bought another fitting m10 to -4an local and had them make me a new hose, Cost me $40 and it was made in from of me.

Last edited:
I bought another fitting m10 to -4an local and had them make me a new hose, Cost me $40 and it was made in from of me.

Found something that will work at work. Working at a new holland dealer helps sometimes! Thanks for the tip though man!

Got over a big hurdle tonight! Got my 12 valve tore down and got the 12v case put in my 24v. The cam was easy as pie to put in.

Lots o lube and she slid in. Put the two dots in the 0 to get it all times right and voila.

Tomorrow I mount the pump and install lines so I can test fire!

Fastest conversion I did was 14hrs. And that involved swapping a water meth kit over also. The little things will kill you.