Steering/front suspension: Let's talk about it

99GreenCummins

That guy....
Ok, 215k miles is catching up to the front end of my truck. Loose steering, squeaks and just overall worn out. Steering box is surprisingly ok. Truck has a 2.5in lift with 305 tires.

So the real question. What parts to replace all these worn out parts? I need drag link, tie rods, sway bar end links, 4link arms or bushings, shocks, and the arm between axle and frame(name has escaped me). Wanting to maybe upgrade to 09+ steering with a stabilizer. What brands are best?

Start with a track bar. After that, the steering linkage (tie rods/drag link)

Just did ball joints and every joint on a 97 at work with 240k on it. After an alignment and new tires it is amazing driving a 2nd gen with like new steering LOL

We spent over a grand in front end parts, 2 days labor and new tires and an alignment to get it there tho. You gotta remember these 2nd gens at getting old and replacing a few parts only does so much.

Exactly^. I want to do it all while I got it apart. Don't wanna do it again for a few years.

That's fair. I'd get a bracket to upgrade to the stock 3rd/4th gen track bar, then go find a thread I started and it's got a link and part numbers to the newest dodge setup that fits the taper of our knuckles (4th gen I think, crossover style, and it is beefy as well). I'd also do some new timken hubs, rotors, calipers (they start getting sticky after 200-250k), heim joint front sway bar end links, and then some Rokmen control arms (get rid of the stock adjusters and use these instead). I run a fixed upper set of control arms and adjustable lowers to set caster. You need both to set axle set back as well. Oh and shocks help too.

After that, take it to a semi truck alignment shop, pay the $250 for a good alignment, and never look back.

You might want to have your front driveshaft balanced as well. At that point you should be bulletproof.

Now, if you want to go a step further, you can set up a hydro-assist system and that'll take a ton of work off of your track bar and drag link. That'll make your system last a lot lot longer, feel tighter, and it will make 40" tires on warm dry pavement, feel like 18" tires. I think I have another thread started for that one some where with good info as well.

GOOD LUCK! These trucks drive pretty nice when everything is done right.

Need to do this myself. I was planning on it this summer. Are you guys using oem parts or what

Need to do this myself. I was planning on it this summer. Are you guys using oem parts or what

For the steering linkage I recommend it (crossover steering setup). It's beefy and high quality stuff.
The front sway bar is fine stock, steering shaft is fine, hubs are fine, even control arms are fine.
And the newer double sheer 3rd gen track bars are pretty good too. I had bad luck with the Moog one's though.

Wish I could find that thread now with part numbers. I need to do ball joints and see no reason not to do everything

I've always used moog problem solvers from NAPA since we have an account with them. Had nothing but great results.

http://store.dodgeoffroad.com/
DOR HEAVY DUTY TRACK BAR 94-02
Part Number 1002

The rest you can leave factory if you wish, replace bushings tierod ends ect. If you want to upgrade DOR is probably the best you can do for a 2nd gen.

in for the info. Had my first death wobble experience this past weekend at 70MPH on the highway, that'll wake you up!

in for the info. Had my first death wobble experience this past weekend at 70MPH on the highway, that'll wake you up!

99.9999% of all death wobble's I've fixed in the past has been a track bar. Either the single sheer, tie rod end at the frame, or an old heim at the axle if they've gone to aftermarket.

And at least from 2007-2008 the Moog one I had (until they wouldn't warranty the lifetime warranty anymore) was like spring steel! You could see it flex when I'd move my wheel.

99.9999% of all death wobble's I've fixed in the past has been a track bar. Either the single sheer, tie rod end at the frame, or an old heim at the axle if they've gone to aftermarket.

And at least from 2007-2008 the Moog one I had (until they wouldn't warranty the lifetime warranty anymore) was like spring steel! You could see it flex when I'd move my wheel.

I actually purchased a new one on Friday, went to change it and found that the tie rod end of the factory bar had loosened up somehow or other, so I just tightened it back up. The wobble struck on sunday afternoon. Truck has actually been driving pretty well lately too.

I do have a leveling kit in it, a steering box stabilizer, and the updated T-style steering. My tires are worn pretty badly, and I haven't been able to get it lined up since I put the leveling kit on it so I'm going to yank the leveling kit out this weekend.

If you can fab pretty well I'd say build your own track bar & mount. I torched off the frame mount and came up with a set of brackets that worked well. The bar itself is .250 wall DOM tubing with weld in bungs and heims on both ends.. That really helped tighten up the front end on my 01.. I'm also running the 08+ steering set up and a fresh steering box. The steering is now light and actually enjoyable to drive

/i\

I actually purchased a new one on Friday, went to change it and found that the tie rod end of the factory bar had loosened up somehow or other, so I just tightened it back up. The wobble struck on sunday afternoon. Truck has actually been driving pretty well lately too.

I do have a leveling kit in it, a steering box stabilizer, and the updated T-style steering. My tires are worn pretty badly, and I haven't been able to get it lined up since I put the leveling kit on it so I'm going to yank the leveling kit out this weekend.

Leave the leveling kit if you want, sounds like you need an alignment and to make sure your stuff is tight. There should be cotter pins in everything around there. A tie rod coming out would be really really bad at 70mph!

Fabbing one up isn't a problem, convincing the wife that it is OK for me to spend MORE time and money on my 20 year old truck on the other hand... lol.

I've had plans to do that for some time now, I just haven't been able to find the time.

I believe the taper is different between my '95 and the 08+ steering, which prevents me from going that route...

Leave the leveling kit if you want, sounds like you need an alignment and to make sure your stuff is tight. There should be cotter pins in everything around there. A tie rod coming out would be really really bad at 70mph!

Everything is pinned on the front end, and that would likely be a tragic occurrence. I work on this front end on about a bi-weekly basis, and have probably put 10 track bars on it in the 10 years that I have owned it. So I always give everything a good once over when I am working in that area.

Everything is pinned on the front end, and that would likely be a tragic occurrence. I work on this front end on about a bi-weekly basis, and have probably put 10 track bars on it in the 10 years that I have owned it. So I always give everything a good once over when I am working in that area.

Good deal. I'd build a new bracket at the frame, or buy one of the kits that let you run a 3rd gen bar. There's just no getting around the single sheer failing, especially with bigger tires.

An old off road Jeep death wobble trick is to put a shock between your drag link and track bar.

Good deal. I'd build a new bracket at the frame, or buy one of the kits that let you run a 3rd gen bar. There's just no getting around the single sheer failing, especially with bigger tires.

An old off road Jeep death wobble trick is to put a shock between your drag link and track bar.

I very well may just buy a 3rd Gen set up and be done with it. I do need a steering stabilizer as well.

If you can fab pretty well I'd say build your own track bar & mount. I torched off the frame mount and came up with a set of brackets that worked well. The bar itself is .250 wall DOM tubing with weld in bungs and heims on both ends.. That really helped tighten up the front end on my 01.. I'm also running the 08+ steering set up and a fresh steering box. The steering is now light and actually enjoyable to drive

/i\

What needed done to run the 08 and up steering