Steering/front suspension: Let's talk about it

What needed done to run the 08 and up steering

Nothing, it was an unbolt the old, replace with the new situation in my 01.

I think there was a write up on diesel bombers that talked about the taper difference from the 99 and older models compared to the newer stuff.

I think the solution was to ream out the knuckle or get one off a newer truck..

Sweet I need to find that

You may want to do some research and see if you can find out what the taper is on your current trucks knuckles and make sure it matches the taper on the 08+ tie rod ends.

Everything I could find says they are different.

Last edited:
What's the different taper? I will find a reamer and go to town. That and the pitman arm needs replaced with a new style right

What's the different taper? I will find a reamer and go to town. That and the pitman arm needs replaced with a new style right

I can't remember off the top of my head. It took a lot of digging when I found it before. I considered doing the same thing. I just went with the 2nd gen T-style setup to spare the trouble. I believe you are correct on the pitman arm, but I'll let someone who has experience with the swap confirm that one.

If you do find anything out and are successful with the swap be sure and post it up!

I replaced just about every part under the front of my 2cnd gen. 1/2 longer lower control arm, the heavy duty new style tie rods, adjustable 3rd gen tracbar, new ball joints, shocks and added leveling springs. I did not do the tie rods until after everything else had been done, all the other parts made a nice difference, the tie rods really helped too. In the end it made the truck drive better than ever. Well worth the $$$.

Just curious, is it possible to convert the inboard disk axles to outboard 2000+ knuckle so that steering assembly will bolt On?

Also what was the cut if year for that knuckle. I found a 99 Dana 60 for 350 bucks. Seems like a good plan

Just curious, is it possible to convert the inboard disk axles to outboard 2000+ knuckle so that steering assembly will bolt On?

Yup, bolts right up to your stock knuckle even. You'll need to plug the ABS hole, get new studs, rotors, and calipers.

I am not sure on the axles fitting though. I didn't get that far before I decided against it. I got the wrong calipers, had new everything else for the older style, and it was getting cold, so I stayed with 97 stuff. Bad excuse I know. ha ha

Yup, bolts right up to your stock knuckle even. You'll need to plug the ABS hole, get new studs, rotors, and calipers.

I am not sure on the axles fitting though. I didn't get that far before I decided against it. I got the wrong calipers, had new everything else for the older style, and it was getting cold, so I stayed with 97 stuff. Bad excuse I know. ha ha

Will it mess up the abs on the 97? I am kinda torn now because the bearing calipers and rotors are brand new