Stepped Covers and Bushings in 2.6" or not?

Bushings and Stepped covers in 2.6" classes or not?

• DO NOT allow bushings or stepped covers in 2.6" class

Votes: 80 63.0%
  • Allow bushed or stepped cover chargers that have a 2.6" inlet?

Votes: 47 37.0%

• Total voters
Wouldn't these "custom" machined Exducers and Covers be easily spotted with only a visual inspection in comparison to a "Native" 2.6" charger?

I mean obviously you wouldn't be able to know for sure what size the exducer was, but you'd know something fishy was going on.

If so I'd say anything that has questionable looking machine work should be grounds for failing tech.... If you've taken the time to have somethin' custom machined, chances are you're trying to bend the rules in your favor.

A properly recontoured wheel and custom cover if done correctly will look no different then your beloved off the shelf charger. Matter of fact. If you have rules like that recontoured wheels and custom covers will be setting on a shelf some where ready for sale.:kick:

Making a custom charger to fit the rules is not bending the rules. It is simply building to the rules. Welcome to competition motorsports. You did notice this is Competition Diesel. com Not Hottrailertower.com.

Last edited:
I don't understand how a guy who drives his truck everyday and pulls a trailer with it can't compete in the 2.6 class. Brandon swanson does it and he does these things everyday. The problem is that not everybody can win and the guys that are not willing to devote a lot of time and yes money to doing so are not going to win. This is just fact and that it is just the way it is no matter what rules you put on the guys that are going to do what they can to win. My .02 is that a set of rules were made this year and I believe they should stay in effect for at least two years minimum. I have been to a couple pulls with a work stock class and the officials said they would not have it again because of the crybabies. I can see the 2.6 class getting the same outcome if you do some (off the shelf) rule or try to make it feasible for a true (street truck) that runs (good) compete.

A properly recontoured wheel and custom cover if done correctly will look no different then your beloved off the shelf charger. Matter of fact. If you have rules like that recontoured wheels and custom covers will be setting on a shelf some where ready for sale.:kick:

Making a custom charger to fit the rules is not bending the rules. It is simply building to the rules. Welcome to competition motorsports. You did notice this is Competition Diesel. com Not Hottrailertower.com.

Seems everywhere I look your posts contain the same smartass "Holier than Thou" attitude. Get over yourself and open your eyes.

I assure you... I've been around "Competition Level" motorsports of more than one variety for a few years and know it takes money to compete. I've stated in other threads that I don't have a problem spending the money... I'm as I type this dumping a boat load more money into my truck to build my truck to the current specs of the 2.6" class. So Yeah... I'm putting a stepped cover charger on my truck as well!... Doesn't mean I like it!

I didn't start this thread to be ABOUT ME! - I started it to see what the general concensus was!

Which according to the poll above, most agree with my point of view!

Just out of curiosity... What are you guys who are voting FOR stepped covers and bushings running!? I'm sure it's a stepped cover charger! You're worried that you'd have to step up with the 2.8 guys where you belong and could no longer get the job done.

Take your own agenda out of it and look at it from a standpoint of whats best for the sport.

Right now you have NO PLACE FOR AN ENTRY LEVEL TRUCK! It's either full on trailer queen or work stock.

I don't give 2 cents what some have said about being "streetable" with a huge stepped cover charger... There are varrying degrees of "streetable" and constantly smoking out six lanes of traffic while waiting for your huge stepped cover charger to light is hardly considered "streetable".

I don't for one second believe that opening up the rules in the 2.8 class and leaving 2.6 alone is the best option either. You'd then be closing the gap between the 2.8 class and the 3.0 open driveline. What keeps the 3.0 guys from doing the same thing to you 2.8 guys that the 2.8 guys are doing to us and moving down a class to whoop your ass!?

Seems everywhere I look your posts contain the same smartass "Holier than Thou" attitude. Get over yourself and open your eyes.
Your the one coming on here saying that is an easy fix. I was just stating that it is not. That outlawing of stepped covers and evil bushings will change nothing because large wheels would still be allowed!
I assure you... I've been around "Competition Level" motorsports of more than one variety for a few years and know it takes money to compete. I've stated in other threads that I don't have a problem spending the money... I'm as I type this dumping a boat load more money into my truck to build my truck to the current specs of the 2.6" class. So Yeah... I'm putting a stepped cover charger on my truck as well!... Doesn't mean I like it!

I didn't start this thread to be ABOUT ME! - I started it to see what the general concensus was!

Which according to the poll above, most agree with my point of view!

Just out of curiosity... What are you guys who are voting FOR stepped covers and bushings running!? I'm sure it's a stepped cover charger! You're worried that you'd have to step up with the 2.8 guys where you belong and could no longer get the job done.

Take your own agenda out of it and look at it from a standpoint of whats best for the sport.

Right now you have NO PLACE FOR AN ENTRY LEVEL TRUCK! It's either full on trailer queen or work stock.

I will use some of the best running 2.6 truck around me as examples. Dale Bennett, Evan Davis, and Brandon Swanson all are very streetable trucks.

I don't give 2 cents what some have said about being "streetable" with a huge stepped cover charger... There are varrying degrees of "streetable" and constantly smoking out six lanes of traffic while waiting for your huge stepped cover charger to light is hardly considered "streetable".

See now your spouting. You can drive and be streetable without smoking lanes of traffic. It is all about the tune up. My truck in street trim now smokes less because it flows far more air then it did at less power with a smaller charger. I am not being Holier than thou. What I am trying to do is make you pull your head out of the sand and realize that outlawing stepped covers and bushing will just drive the costs up! That every year the price of poker goes up. Instead of wasting your breath posting about the evil stepped cover and bushing chargers you need to be pushing for a rule that actually limits the class power output. The best rule for that is to limit the Comp. wheel exducer. *bdh*

I don't for one second believe that opening up the rules in the 2.8 class and leaving 2.6 alone is the best option either. You'd then be closing the gap between the 2.8 class and the 3.0 open driveline. What keeps the 3.0 guys from doing the same thing to you 2.8 guys that the 2.8 guys are doing to us and moving down a class to whoop your ass!?

I dont run in 2.8 class. Never have. There is not a 2.8 hook within a couple hundred miles of here so I have no Idea where you got that. I pull in an open single class.

Many places dont have a 2.8 class. Like around here it is 2.6 and open single. 2.6 has grown to the level that basicly does away with 2.8 anyway. A good running 2.8 is an a driveline destroying monster. That gets expensive in a hurry. So either they step up to open driveline or down to 2.6 A lot of guys dont want to cut their trucks up to go open driveline so that leaves 2.6. I dont see 2.6 as an entry level class. Work stock is an entry level class to me.

I think the 2.6 and 2.8 is too close...from a spectator's view they are virtually the same trucks. From a competitor's stand point....why not bump down and get in the money twice...thats a no brainer! All the rules are the same except for size of the inlet of the turbo... I'd like to see combine the 2.6 and 2.8 with rule changes. Then have a work stock class with a limit on RPM, 33" tires, no DRW, no hanging weights, 2.4 inlet.

With somthing like those classes you would have a buildup of trucks...from street truck and progress through to the 3.0 open driveline or mod class. just a thought...

So a factory dually wont be able to pull. Whats that accomplish?

Yeah...i see your point, but it's a clear advantage(to make a fair set of rules, you can't make every one happy!) and it would help keep the rearend breakage down also! Factory DRW trucks could take off one set of tires? They don't have to look good to pull! And gas street class rules have always said no DRW...so it's nothing new!!!

I think the 2.6 and 2.8 is too close...from a spectator's view they are virtually the same trucks.

I couldn't agree more. When Joe-Blow sitting in the stands can't distinguish the difference in 2.6 and 2.8 there's a problem. Not just for competitors, but for the sport as a whole. I have no solution, but changing the rules so there's more of a gap between the two classes should be considered.

What about dropping the 2.6 class and going with a 2.4 class off the shelve charger class then a 2.8 class then a 3.0 class? That gives you an entry level class and it would be hard to get a strictly built pulling motor to stay alive with a 2.4 charger and certainly the 2.6 guys can hang with the 2.8 trucks. FLAME SUIT ON!

What about the trucks that come factory with a 2.5 charger? And the high popularity of the 2.6 charger trucks. Not the 3.0/2.6 chargers either. The actual 2.6 chargers. Idea would be ok but i think it would have to be 2.5 if you did that.

well 2.5 or whatever it's just an idea. 2.6 has gotten out of hand will agree with that!

well 2.5 or whatever it's just an idea. 2.6 has gotten out of hand will agree with that!

agree: but not only because of the turbo rules. its because the rules between 2.6 and 2.8 are so close. i.e. chassi set up

if you put 2.6 back to where it started. WS. you take away hanging weight, hood stacks, dual wheels on fleet side trucks, ect... that will sperate it.

x2 Lots of tractors have a spec chargers.....racing has spec motors. There are ways to make it more even. That would change what guys tried to build if the charger was the same charger for all. I understand that takes away from some of the ingenuity of these guys building some great chargers. But not everyone has the dollars to play with 2.8 trucks pulling with the 2.6 ones.
Just my $0.02

Give the true 2.6 guys a chance. I dont pull, but I understand how frustrating it can be for a "street" truck to pull against the trucks that should be pulling in 2.8 for sure, and possibly 3.0. just my opinion.

I'm testing out how to reply here... This post will be edited in a few.

Convicted1 said:

JOHNBOY said:
Your the one coming on here saying that is an easy fix. I was just stating that it is not. That outlawing of stepped covers and evil bushings will change nothing because large wheels would still be allowed!

Convicted1 said:

JOHNBOY said:
I will use some of the best running 2.6 truck around me as examples. Dale Bennett, Evan Davis, and Brandon Swanson all are very streetable trucks.

Convicted1 said:

JOHNBOY said:
See now your spouting. You can drive and be streetable without smoking lanes of traffic. It is all about the tune up. My truck in street trim now smokes less because it flows far more air then it did at less power with a smaller charger. I am not being Holier than thou. What I am trying to do is make you pull your head out of the sand and realize that outlawing stepped covers and bushing will just drive the costs up! That every year the price of poker goes up. Instead of wasting your breath posting about the evil stepped cover and bushing chargers you need to be pushing for a rule that actually limits the class power output. The best rule for that is to limit the Comp. wheel exducer.

Convicted1 said:

I dont run in 2.8 class. Never have. There is not a 2.8 hook within a couple hundred miles of here so I have no Idea where you got that. I pull in an open single class.

Many places dont have a 2.8 class. Like around here it is 2.6 and open single. 2.6 has grown to the level that basicly does away with 2.8 anyway. A good running 2.8 is an a driveline destroying monster. That gets expensive in a hurry. So either they step up to open driveline or down to 2.6 A lot of guys dont want to cut their trucks up to go open driveline so that leaves 2.6. I dont see 2.6 as an entry level class. Work stock is an entry level class to me.

Last edited:
Ignore my last post... Evidently there is a 15 minute rule for editing posts and it took longer than that to sort out all the formatting.

Convicted1 said:

JOHNBOY said:

I never stated this was an EASY fix! I stated it was a NEEDED fix! I guess I should have stated in the poll "Native 2.6" Wheels Only".

Convicted1 said:

JOHNBOY said:

I don't know any of those guys, so forgive my ignorance, but how well would their trucks perform at a big event such as SDX?

Convicted1 said:

JOHNBOY said:
See now your spouting. You can drive and be streetable without smoking lanes of traffic. It is all about the tune up. My truck in street trim now smokes less because it flows far more air then it did at less power with a smaller charger. I am not being Holier than thou. What I am trying to do is make you pull your head out of the sand and realize that outlawing stepped covers and bushing will just drive the costs up! That every year the price of poker goes up. Instead of wasting your breath posting about the evil stepped cover and bushing chargers you need to be pushing for a rule that actually limits the class power output. The best rule for that is to limit the Comp. wheel exducer.

Yeah.... I might have been a little peeved and "spouting" at that point, but once again, there are varying degrees of streetable. I can run my truck around town all day at 700HP and control the smoke, but the fact of the matter is, to run with the current 2.6" class, 700HP isn't enough. Any more charger and I'd have to loose the power I'm currently able to run around town with in order to control smoke with a bigger stepped cover or bushed charger.

The point of the matter still is... The 2.6" class is way out of hand as it is and something needs to be changed. You got a better suggestion than turbo compressor size? There shouldn't be a need for more than the 700ish HP that can be made on a well tuned 2.6" charger.

You're just blurring the line between 2.8 and 2.6 by letting the stepped covers and bushings in. Which is a whole nother debate on why the 2.8" class is dying.

Convicted1 said:

This came from the fact that the 2.8 class is currently DYING because of the blurred line between 2.6 and 2.8. Why would the 2.8 guys want to dump the money to have a competitive true 2.8 truck when they can just throw a stepped cover on and come play with the 2.6's?

If you open up the rules in 2.8 to allow open drivelines the same thing is going to happen to what little is left of the 2.8 class. The 3.0 guys will move down for the easy kill.

So in short, that statement wasn't aimed in your direction.

EXACTLY! You don't have a 2.8 class because all the 2.8 trucks are currently pulling with the 2.6 class! LOL... How many of your 2.6" trucks are running a stepped cover charger or bushing! Guess what... If they are running either they belong in 2.8!

2.6" is the "Entry Level Competition" class in my eyes (and most others I think). I should have worded that differently in my orignal post. It should be for the guys with the super hot street trucks to have a place to pull without having to run with trailer queens.

Leave WS to the average "Joe Blow" with his downloader, exhaust, intake, and stock charger. The only time that becomes a problem is with the new Fords and their factory twins. But the payout in those classes usually isn't worth the pissing match it would entail to sort it out.

I think the 2.6 and 2.8 is too close...from a spectator's view they are virtually the same trucks. From a competitor's stand point....why not bump down and get in the money twice...thats a no brainer! All the rules are the same except for size of the inlet of the turbo... I'd like to see combine the 2.6 and 2.8 with rule changes. Then have a work stock class with a limit on RPM, 33" tires, no DRW, no hanging weights, 2.4 inlet.

With somthing like those classes you would have a buildup of trucks...from street truck and progress through to the 3.0 open driveline or mod class. just a thought...

I agree that the 2.6" and 2.8" classes are too close. The solution of getting rid of the 2.6" class only does away with about half the class worth of trucks that are running true 2.6" chargers in the class now. Most of them aren't going to want to spend the time or money to upgrade to be competitive in the 2.8 class. So those guys are just going to quit pulling.

So essentially we've just gotten rid of a whole bunch of trucks that would have put on a decent show for the crowds.

The "Dual Class Puller" mentality needs to go. We need to build our trucks to fit the rules of the ONE class you want to pull in. Want to pull more than 1 class... Pull your normal class and then GO TO OPEN!

As for the no DRW thing... Well I'd love to see that rule in 2.6" but it wouldn't honestly be a fair rule. I mean six versus four tires is obviously an advantage, but it would once again just be cutting out a bunch of trucks for no reason other than that they have two too many tires. A SRW truck should be allowed to run duals if he wants, that is all the leveling that playing field needs.

RPM limit - That should be another limitation in the 2.6" class as well. 4500 MAX! Once again though.... Dang difficult to tech.

No hanging weights - I actually hadn't thought about that before! I honestly kind of like the idea. It would seperate the 2.6" trucks from the 2.8"s rather nicely infact!

Last edited: