Stock First-Gen HP and TQ Rating?

S300g or something in that size. 57/65/14 or so will spool pretty good with some fueling upgrades.

What's a good turbo to swap in it's place?

Depends on what your goal is. If you're looking for a good, reliable upgrade Gillette makes a 60mm compressor/housing upgrade that works great, or an HX40 works really well also.

For higher performance, a BD Super B Special is awesome, or an HTT, or most any S300 variant

I'm really only looking to make 200 -300HP. I looked up the specs for an hx35 which are 54/69/14. Would that be big enough?

I'm really only looking to make 200 -300HP. I looked up the specs for an hx35 which are 54/69/14. Would that be big enough?

i think hx35's are 56/58/12 unless theres another variation im unaware of.... the size you posted seems a little odd anyway

I got those from a Diesel Power article in the July 2009 issue. The sentence reads: "For instance, an HX35 . . . measures somewhere around 54/69/14 meaning it has a 54mm compressor inducer, a 69mm turbine inducer, and a 14 sq cm exhaust housing." Judging by how they said "around" they could very well be wrong. I tried to look up hx35 specs directly from holset, but they didn't give them. Just other useless info.

That 69 could be the outside large dia not the dia of the blades at the exhaust hole itself...

Yes, because on the turbine side, you can't see the inducer. When you remove the downpipe, you can see the exducer.
Inducer=where it comes in
Exducer=where it goes out

HX-35s come in at least 2 versions. 8 blade 56mm and 7 blade 54mm. They all have a 60mm turbine. And they all come with a 12cm wastegated housing.
Apparently the 7 blade flows more.

Making 250-300 to the wheels really isn't a big deal on these trucks, I'd shoot for at least that.

With DDP4's, a baby HC1, converter, intake, and exhaust, I put down 301 but it did get a little toasty. If you're worried about EGT though, you can just always turn the fuel screw down a little.

EGT's are a BIG concern for me, considering I'll be doing quite a bit of towing.
I want to keep the power levels down a bit because a don't want to have to fight the temptation of mashing the skinny pedal. Diesel's expensive these days ya know.

SO just curious, what type of First Gen do you have, or are you shopping for one?

SO just curious, what type of First Gen do you have, or are you shopping for one?

Been shopping for a while, but never made anything of it. A family friend has an early '89 he wants to sell; told me i had first shot at buying it.

I'd get it....my 89 made 170 to the wheels uncorrected when it was bone stock. You could probably just turn the fuel screw in a bit and break 200 to the wheels without ever having to worry about EGT.

I really want it, but I don't have the money to buy it right now. Good thing he hasn't put it in the paper yet.

Been shopping for a while, but never made anything of it. A family friend has an early '89 he wants to sell; told me i had first shot at buying it.

Well, horse$h!+ sailor, take a rowboat:soap:
Another one that got away. He put it in the paper 2 weeks ago, had a FOR SALE sign in it all last week at the fair, and called me today and said it was sold to some guy in Glouster. GRRR!