stock turbo modifications?

paroxysym

i was wondering if rebuilding or having someone rebuild or modify my stock turbo would be worth it. with my current set-up i need more air up top, she dies out around 85 mph. i mean you can stay in it, but it just gets sluggish. i dont know if the funds are there right now for a new 62 turbo, especially since im trying to get me a decent daily driver and take the truck off the road for a bit.

so opinions? thoughts? i have approx. 71k on my stock turbo, she peaks around 42 psi from time to time.

i was wondering if rebuilding or having someone rebuild or modify my stock turbo would be worth it. with my current set-up i need more air up top, she dies out around 85 mph. i mean you can stay in it, but it just gets sluggish. i dont know if the funds are there right now for a new 62 turbo, especially since im trying to get me a decent daily driver and take the truck off the road for a bit.

so opinions? thoughts? i have approx. 71k on my stock turbo, she peaks around 42 psi from time to time.

I got aPhatShaft 62 and the top end is much nicer at a little 45psi. The turbo is the issue on the top end. I had the same problem with 1800 degree EGT's as well.

I got aPhatShaft 62 and the top end is much nicer at a little 45psi. The turbo is the issue on the top end. I had the same problem with 1800 degree EGT's as well.

egts are fine.. im not seeing anything over 1000-1100. im just not looking to spend another $2k on a truck im not planning on driving too much... i figure $1500 for a gently used 62, and about $400 for studs..:bang

I cant see modifying your stock one doing much of anything, your going to need to jump to a 62mm and your just running the Smarty right? You probably need more fuel if your only seeing 1100* Chris only went from 445 to 460 with a Smarty to adding a 64/13 with the Smarty.

Brett

I cant see modifying your stock one doing much of anything, your going to need to jump to a 62mm and your just running the Smarty right? You probably need more fuel if your only seeing 1100* Chris only went from 445 to 460 with a Smarty to adding a 64/13 with the Smarty.

Brett

brett, you dynoed the truck this past saturday- could you tell anything? when you say more fuel, do you mean sticks? i figured id be alright with the FASS...

brett, you dynoed the truck this past saturday- could you tell anything? when you say more fuel, do you mean sticks? i figured id be alright with the FASS...

By either injectors or a pressure box

You can run a 62 without using studs. These trucks have a pretty stout HG. So I would say get yourself a 62/14 turbo and a pressure box. These coupled with the Smarty should get you above 500.

You definatetly need more fuel if that is all that you are seeing, I can easily see over 1400* with just my Smarty, and alot more with the TST turned on even on the lower levels. You have a PM.

You need a TNT smarty tune or a TST duration box or edge ez pressure box, or MP-8 pressure box. Pressure box adds rail pressure, more pressure means more fuel gets injected each time an injector fires.

The reason people are saying to add fuel is that you have relatively low egt's. You haven't maxed out your current stock turbo, you need more fuel. If you want to spend some coin, some bigger injectors will help a lot too. Why spend money on injectors when you can get more power electronically?

so regardless im going to need a turbo/pressure box or injectors/studs to resolve this flat spot at higher speeds? damnit!:bang:bang

Yeah Some sticks or a pressure box is what you need to get rid of that dead pedal up top, but I wouldn't want to run a pressure box all the time with it, higher rail pressure wears on the injectors alot faster.

A TST R49 would be a great box for ya, i love mine it pulls hard on top end!
Its a great stack with the Smarty really wakes up the top end.
TST get my vote!

A TST R49 would be a great box for ya, i love mine it pulls hard on top end!
Its a great stack with the Smarty really wakes up the top end.
TST get my vote!

a TST would be good for his truck but... it needs more fuel than the Smarty so as suggested... fuel first ! He'll drain the rail in no time with that stack !

I wouldn't rely on the stock turbo either. It's a great turbo but, once you start adding electronics and fuel... it's not so great anymore. You'll end up with too high EGT's, too high drive pressure and end up in worse shape than you started if something gives.

IMHO... forget trying to upgrade the stock turbo and get a Silver Bullet..... I happen to have one I may be selling :hehe: ... really ! The 62 seems to be a nice one too :)

a TST would be good for his truck but... it needs more fuel than the Smarty so as suggested... fuel first ! He'll drain the rail in no time with that stack !

I wouldn't rely on the stock turbo either. It's a great turbo but, once you start adding electronics and fuel... it's not so great anymore. You'll end up with too high EGT's, too high drive pressure and end up in worse shape than you started if something gives.

IMHO... forget trying to upgrade the stock turbo and get a Silver Bullet..... I happen to have one I may be selling :hehe: ... really ! The 62 seems to be a nice one too :)

I agree 100%, the TST requires alot of fuel and air to use to its full extent, my stock charger and CP3 can not keep up when I turn it up. I think it might be time for a bigger charger and a modified CP3.:evil