Stomp the Go Pedal, sputters and pops

OK ..I here Ya, I am in West Yellowstone MT at present, But Depending on the Mod running High lift Pressure will accelerate the wear on the Gear Pump,On all T&C mod Pumps We have already increased the low Pressure side...bad thing like exploded Pump, leaky pump under certain condition may occur,No body wants that.

Thank You Sir....

40 PSI feed Pressure, Everyday use...Your going to destroy your pump.

The AD150 read about 18psi to 20psi daily, then one day the isspro spike up to 40. HONESTLY, i dunno wtf is going on because i hadn't had time to mess with it at all. its either the sensor or the guage.

I turn the key, the pump makes noise, the guage spikes up and i'm happy.

I change the filters on the AD every 10K.

bullydog and PPE both pop on 03/04's

have you loaded a bully dog file on your 06 ECM to see if it still does it?

I'm running a smarty ssr now, have been since august, truck pops with SSR tunes.

i'm not running any added rail pressure and the doctor p box is turned all the way down.

Sounds like its running the rail dry. Do you have a rail pressure gauge?

The guage reads well, i do have bleed off.

if i get into the peddle and not stomp it but lay into it very smoothly and heavy *TC stays locked up and the trans does not downshift* the rail will spike to about 25K/26K then bleed off about 10K when the truck reaches 120mph.

Thats what I'm thinking. This sounds 100% tune related. When chasing problems first thing to do is return tuning to stock and see if it goes away. Simple.

Jake

I'm running a smarty ssr now, have been since august, truck pops with SSR tunes.

i'm not running any added rail pressure and the doctor p box is turned all the way down.

try the bully dog on your 06 ECM. like I said, bully dog pops on 03/04's, shouldn't on an 06 setup. that will rule out the tuning vs. some other issue

Gentlemen,
Thank you for all the suggestions!
I appreciate your time.

Unplug the Dr.P and see if that fixes it.

I fought fought and fought with mine for over a year. I tried bully dog, ppe, and smarty and the all 3 popped like that. I tried an edge and it didn't pop at all, any tune that I download into my ecm would pop, but that edge (which just plugs in) didn't pop at all. Everyone swore it was rp or timing, and in common cases it is, (fyi you can jack the timing up in the 03-04 and get a popping under a quick acceleration but it won't do it if your in neutral and just floor it, it has to have somewhat of a load, being your trucks weight). But anyways I finally did a self diagnosis after changing every part of fuel related and timing parts and decided it was in the ecm since it only did it if something was download into the computer. I had the dealer check the ecm, and also had it reset and updated. Being stock it worked perfect, but put in a programmer and the pop is back. I finally made up my mind and got a reman ecm. It fixed my entire problem. If at all possible would try someone's edge, or tst (something aggressive that plugs in) and see if It still pops. If it don't, I'd say its the ecm

not really related to the thread.. but i'm new to this.

can anyone tell me how to retime my 05 CR? its my first diesel and im trying to finish up the rebuild. #1 piston TDC? where does the cam have to be? line up 0's on cam and crank?

I fought fought and fought with mine for over a year. I tried bully dog, ppe, and smarty and the all 3 popped like that. I tried an edge and it didn't pop at all, any tune that I download into my ecm would pop, but that edge (which just plugs in) didn't pop at all. Everyone swore it was rp or timing, and in common cases it is, (fyi you can jack the timing up in the 03-04 and get a popping under a quick acceleration but it won't do it if your in neutral and just floor it, it has to have somewhat of a load, being your trucks weight). But anyways I finally did a self diagnosis after changing every part of fuel related and timing parts and decided it was in the ecm since it only did it if something was download into the computer. I had the dealer check the ecm, and also had it reset and updated. Being stock it worked perfect, but put in a programmer and the pop is back. I finally made up my mind and got a reman ecm. It fixed my entire problem. If at all possible would try someone's edge, or tst (something aggressive that plugs in) and see if It still pops. If it don't, I'd say its the ecm

So this cleared up your problem? Mine does the same thing with a bully dog, s06 smarty, and ssr. Just bought a tst. What does an ecm run in price?

So this cleared up your problem? Mine does the same thing with a bully dog, s06 smarty, and ssr. Just bought a tst. What does an ecm run in price?

Yes it fixed it all, no pop at all unless i put way too much timing in it, but pop is expected with too much timing on 03-04.5. And if your issue is the same then the TST will probably work fine since it dont actually download in the ecm, but i cant say 100% cause i didnt try a TST on mine at the time. Idid try an edge and it worked fine and it hooks up through all the plugs the same as the TST does. I think i paid 800 for mine at the time but they are under 700 now. Here is the link to where i got mine from,

http://autocomputerexchange.net/catalogsearch/advanced/result/?name=&description=&short_description=&sku=&price%5Bfrom%5D=&price%5Bto%5D=&year=2003&make=Dodge&model=Ram Truck

If you ask them (or anyone that deals with ecm's) about an issue that your having with a programmer or something aftermarket, they are automatically going to assume its a issue coming from the programmer since it works perfectly fine with it stock. Mine was a years worth of self diagnosis till i narrowed it down to the ecm myself. They have do have great support and when i got mine they sent me the ecm first then i sent my old one back after i installed theirs so i had no downtime.

Last edited:
Back