Strength of a nv4500

dodge.01grizzly

Wanting some opinions. Will a stock nv4500 with an upgraded input hold up to a 1000hp motor in a pulling situation. I'm thinking it will and I know there's a lot of guys using it. I'm just not for certain wether or not they've been cryo'ed or not.

In 4th gear yes. It will actually hold more than a 1000hp.
I wouldn't cryo it. Ultimate nv4500 would be a profab kit with 3 forward gears.

Ya, i understand where you are coming from there. I just can't justify the price of one! It's for a 2.5 truck. I found a good used nv4500 for $800, just seeing what everybody thinks of using it instead of rebuilding my old one with Chinese parts. 2nd gear and counter shaft are destroyed on it. Plan to pull in 4th gear only. Running 4.65 gears in rear, 4.56 in the front.

I'm in the same situation... need a rebuild on the nv 4500 I have... is the profab kit sumthin we can buy and install ourself?

Probably so^^. Id just run it adam. If u run in 4th u'll be fine!

Last edited:
Interested on info on the profab aswell, I know they've been around a couple years. I'd assume it's a send a core in and they do it kinda thing

Interested on info on the profab aswell, I know they've been around a couple years. I'd assume it's a send a core in and they do it kinda thing

Exactly. They'll want you to send reverse gear too. But most everything else will be new.

Larry should have transmissions ready to go. You need to provide a good case and shift cover for core.

Like others have said leave it in 4th and you'll be fine. I have known some 3.0 trucks to run them with no issues

The teeth shear off from the torque running thru the countershaft. Third gear is cast and machined into the countershaft. I got along fine for a couple years running third gear. I swapped in the ProFab built tranny and sold my stock tranny to help reduce the cost of the new one.

Are the workstock trucks able to run 4th without 4.88 and lower gearing? What are those guys running for setups on the street driven trucks?

Thanks

Back