Strength of a nv4500

Best bet is set up truck to run 4th gear on low side, like everyone else said. All other gears are a ticking time bomb. And for the guy with 1000hp on the street, keep on dreaming, you'll be breaking a lot of trannys. lol

Guess i was always lucky with pulling mine in 2nd... (2wd trans) was only about 7-750 on hp tho...

Are the workstock trucks able to run 4th without 4.88 and lower gearing? What are those guys running for setups on the street driven trucks?

Thanks

Best bet is set up truck to run 4th gear on low side, like everyone else said. All other gears are a ticking time bomb. And for the guy with 1000hp on the street, keep on dreaming, you'll be breaking a lot of trannys. lol

I have been buying a lot of trannys and parts for them, transfer cases, input shafts, just about anything in between, prolly could've had a nice auto by now

I like this thread. I should have no problem towing with the NV4500 with 500hp after reading this.

I like this thread. I should have no problem towing with the NV4500 with 500hp after reading this.

Just stay out of 5th towing. I exploded mine at just under 600hp while street driving.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just stay out of 5th towing. I exploded mine at just under 600hp while street driving.

Crazy, I'm 600hp beat the **** out a fresh one for 60,000 miles and finally just tore 5th up.. maybe it depends on builder / tolerance of building. Tear down only showed 5th gear nut rattled off, chit didn't work out and everything else looked fine.. plenty of 3rd gear boosted launches etc. Beat the **** out of it!

Crazy, I'm 600hp beat the **** out a fresh one for 60,000 miles and finally just tore 5th up.. maybe it depends on builder / tolerance of building. Tear down only showed 5th gear nut rattled off, chit didn't work out and everything else looked fine.. plenty of 3rd gear boosted launches etc. Beat the **** out of it!

That's good to know. I plan on putting mine together and making sure it's on the numbers.

I took the teeth off 5th at 478 rwhp. 5th gear nut was still tight End play was on the tight end of factor spec. Beat on it for 60k-70k before it let go.

Guess I'm lucky towing at gross weights over 50K with a 450+ hp 12v and an NV4500. 185K miles like that and never had a gear problem once. Did have the 5th gear nut back off, but a little weld took care of that for another 50K before the synchro's went south.

Good thing I sold that truck.
Chris

Guess I'm lucky towing at gross weights over 50K with a 450+ hp 12v and an NV4500. 185K miles like that and never had a gear problem once. Did have the 5th gear nut back off, but a little weld took care of that for another 50K before the synchro's went south.

Good thing I sold that truck.
Chris

That's fantastic! I don't ever "beat" on my transmissions. I walk on the pedal, shift like a granny, and then put it back to the floor. I've found they live the longest this way.

I'm not saying I used every ounce of power, but I was real heavy, real often.

I have found the NV4500 to be extremely tough.

Chris

Mine had unknown miles on it when it let go, I twisted an input off and then 1 year later shredded 5th. It held up very well, I was just saying that 5th is a known weak point while towing with power. I have a 5600 now and I miss how easy the 4500 shifted.

Maybe I'm just hard on mine
5th loves to split case when I rip it out, 3rd doesn't like me either, input shafts seem to twist easily too
Just one thing after another

We run 4th in a 2.5 puller that runs very strong and have had no issues in 2 years. I had one in my 97 @ 500 ish hp and I destroyed it several times, 3rd gear twice, 5th gear twice, broke the case once. I was very hard on it though.

I always heard the nv4500 wouldn't hold up to drag racing past around 500 or so but I'm not sure with pulling. I'm kinda curious as to what the facts really are.

Annndd jynx myself!

Attachments

• 20150826_220307.jpg
    20150826_220307.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
Back