Supercharger pulley

Looks like the pulley ratio worked out well! you should have near 9 psi @ cruise. Any more and you'll take a hit in MPGs. ;)

It still throws a decent cloud right off idle, I'm curious to see its behavior once it's rolling around with a load on it. The timing is still stock on the IP, I was keeping it there to help spool that turbo. Hopefully I can bump it up a tooth or so after this.

Carl, I'm still thinking about T-ing into my brake booster vacuum with an electric spool valve and unloading the bypass valve at cruise and during high idle periods.

I've already got my AFC about as tight as it can be, I'm using coil bind to limit the travel of the pin to right before it bottoms out. There are heavier AFC springs available if I find myself needing one though.

Also, my truck has 3.07's, so my cruising RPM is a bit lower than most other trucks. :)

you'll want to put a port in the pipe between the turbo and SC to run a boost/vac gauge to monitor when the SC makes boost vs the turbo pulling vac and if so how much. ;)

Yeah, I've got plenty of random gasser ports on the blower that I drilled/tapped for NPT. Mostly inlet side but I've got a couple on the pressure side as well.

I've got an old air brake gauge out of a Louisville for monitoring them. It's old enough that it's marked low on the PSI scale, so I should have a good idea on what's going on from it.

:edit:Since I had a pic in PB of it already, here it is.
0AFC19A7-6051-4091-9052-E3AC28024DF2-1255-000000E933A9E1B8_zpsa612df84.jpg

It'll probably be a couple more days before my intake is finished, so no real updates until then. Maybe a sound clip with the hood on to see if it's any quieter, but no driving or any other fun until then. :(

Thanks for all the help/support, guys. :)

Last edited:
Got it running tonight, fellas, it's pretty cool. Definitely not making enough air to feed that HX, the manifold boost will not go above 18 psi. (Only tried a couple times, don't want to pick billet wheel pieces out of my aftercooler) Cruising around in DD duties though this thing is shining.

Before to do a 30-45 pull I had to drop to third and feather the throttle to keep the smoke down, now it's just a throttle push away in 4th and you're there, no smoke. I'm very happy, and figure I'll give that factory bypass a try but I don't think it has a shot at keeping up with that HX.

Thanks again everyone for the comments and help, it's nice to get this thing back on the road. The sound, while definitely audible, isn't that loud and you can easily have a conversation in the cab. I could get a vid of whatever if anyone wants it but honestly it just runs like a quick, stock version of itself. Moves around like it weighs 4klbs and has almost no smoking issues anymore.

Last edited:
Also, it's definitely getting its timing bump now. The turbo is screaming out the exhaust at anything above idle, before you'd have to have a pretty decent load on it to get any sort of indication it was spooling.

Not really sure what you're wanting vids of, Mark. I can get some of the gauges while I'm driving around or something but that would mean I'd have to find someone to ride with me since it's a stick.

223395_174101989311559_7310859_n.jpg

I hooked the bypass up to straight manifold boost tonight, I can get it to fully open by just revving the engine in neutral. It keeps cruising boost down below 6-ish psi until the turbo starts coming on, then it drops from there. I found one of the 30-0-30 gauges in my turbo ranger up on the hill, I'll throw it on my blower outlet to get a little more accurate info.

I pulled and plugged the line going to my AFC yesterday too, the only way to get it to smoke is to floor it, and I'm wary of that due to inlet restriction of the turbo.

Once I hooked the bypass up to manifold air I was able to get it to smoke on hard acceleration again. I'm probably going to leave it unhooked for now until I find a better way to control it.

I was just hoping to see it idling with boost pressure, something you don't see every day.

Mark.

Heh, now that I can do. I'll put that weenie gasser gauge on there that only goes to 30psi so it's a little easier to see.

I'll get it for you tomorrow, and maybe some cruising vids if I can get passenger and they can hold it steady in that log wagon.

Levi, I'd appreciate it!
BTW, here's a new ride I rescued from the crusher, which I'm hoping to stuff my 4.5 Cummins and a 6 speed into:

1982shortstepper1_zpsa104e068.jpg

Mark.

That thing is sweet, I'm a sucker for stepsides! :rockwoot:

I'd put the '90 crosshair grill in it though, I like them better.

Think you'll run into any length concerns with the 6 speed? That thing is still longer than a Ramcharger, isn't it?

I kinda' like the '81-'85 grille, but the '86-'90 will probably end up there because they are easier to find in nice condition.

It has a long-shaft 727 in it right now, which is fairly long in itself.
There's a bunch of drive shaft left over, so a 6 speed should be no issue, other than the floor.

Staying on-topic, I have a nice Supercharger off a GM 3.8 that might just make it onto this 4.5, after all. :)

Mark.

Try to plan out a way to get some interstage cooling if you can, Mark, Carl was right. It's not some insane amount of heat under my hood or anything but that blower and all its piping has definitely raised my underhood temps a lot. You can't lay your hands on the compressor housing anymore and the entire engine just seems to stay a lot hotter.

Coolant temps seem to be the same, just everything else is hotter. I may buy anther manifold blanket from Levi to throw over this Steed, I was used to having my full exhaust system wrapped before.

Honestly, as long as you don't have a 67mm turbo mounted to a straight flange manifold you should have all the room you need to get the piping in there for whatever. :doh:

Thanks, Bac, I wouldn't quite consider it ingenuity since I'm just copying what has already been done before, but it is nice to see it come together by my own hands from what used to be a blower, some 1" barstock, and a piece of 12" strap. :woohoo:

I appreciate the comment. :Cheer:

I know there will likely be a large Air-to-Air in there, since the 4bt opens up a lot of extra room up ahead.
I'll look into a JWAC, but it'll have to be a really nice looking and EFFICIENT unit for me to want to go to that kind of work.

TacoBell, one should never discount their own work. ;)
Just because it's been performed a hundred times before, doesn't mean an individual's work and effort is any less than the guy who has done 10 of them and can do them in his sleep.
I'm just glad you shared the trials and tribulations of it all, because it'll definitely help someone else. :cool:

Mark.

:edit: Just a note, both of these vids are from the outlet of the blower, typically the manifold boost was 2-6psi higher everywhere besides idle. I guess the turbo is doing something at just about all times now.

Here's some vids for everyone, the first is example of the behavior of the factory bypass when it's hooked to straight manifold boost. As you can see, it opens completely up in a neutral free rev. Gratuitous idle boost proof, and I even waited to shut the truck off at the end so you could see the gauge drop back to 0.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkMsXZ2aVMA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkMsXZ2aVMA[/ame]

Second vid is with the bypass unhooked again. You can see that the turbo can actually start sucking the bottom out of the blower from a simple free rev, no way the factory 1 1/2" bypass can feed enough air for anything 67mm or bigger.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9y-bvt7sS4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9y-bvt7sS4[/ame]

In normal driving you can pull the blower outlet down to 0psi with just 10psi of manifold pressure. It's crazy just how much more air a turbo apparently uses than a blower, and even more crazy when you can get them spooled so much lower in the RPM than they used to. :pop:

Last edited: