Superduty Repower......

LOGANSTANFORTH

WORKIN' MAN'S DOLLAR
obviously with a cummins.....but.....

im looking at building a great tow rig, at what horsepower do you guys believe the 12 valve loses its reliability??? i would like to have around 550-600 horsepower, ill be towing a 30+ GN loaded with trucks or a large GN camper.......i am willing to spend a decent chunk of change on this motor to make it powerful and more importantly RELIABLE......i would like to use a 6 speed allison but for the cost difference i could have a great clutch in a 6 speed manual......being as im in iraq i am more than likely going to be farming the work out to Josh and the rest of the crew at Woodruff Diesel cause he is about the only person i trust to do the work for me.....

has anyone here ever used the 6 speed allison 1000 in a superduty repower??

right now my parts list is totalling 12,500 bucks with no tranny, motor, or truck bought yet......

suspension 4,000 (6 inch coilover conversion for 99-04 SD from Full Traction)
tires and wheels 2,300
front fenders 600 (flared fiberglass painted)
lights 1,600 (all my LED running lights, LED tail lights, and 05 front end conversion)
hub kit w/ crossover 4,000 (dynatrac no spin kit w/ crossover and 35 spline stub shafts, its their combo kit)

all of my non motor/drivetrain work i will be hiring a good friend of mine to do if he is up for the job......

I wouldn't use that A1000 in a truck after seeing the results of a high HP /TQ application and after it was apart and on the bench there isn't a whole lot of clutch surface area to hold it from slipping..

I am in the process of putting an allison in my F-250 right now, it is getting pretty expensive and I am starting to wish I would have gone another route. I guess once it is running I may change my opinion.

I would say 500 hp you are still very reliable. I have done a few repowers if you have questions.

I wouldn't use that A1000 in a truck after seeing the results of a high HP /TQ application and after it was apart and on the bench there isn't a whole lot of clutch surface area to hold it from slipping..

well the tranny isnt going to be stock.......i actually planned on a full billet ATS or Suncoast........but after thinking about it im just gonna get a 6 speed truck and throw a good clutch and input shaft in it......i like rowing gears better anyways, cause right now with no core, the tranny, and all the conversion parts and controller im looking at 12 thousand......ill break 4 or 5 six speeds before i hit that cost mark.....so ill be fine with a 6 speed.....

thanks Red Stroke....

Your not that far from me. Can help you out if ya need anything as well. I have no idea the horsepower I have, but you can see in my sig some of what I have done. I drive mine everyday and pull a 20,000 lb+ trailer once a week. If I did it again, I would definitely go with a commmonrail. Would be so nice to turn down the power. Never thought about that when I was building it.

Your not that far from me. Can help you out if ya need anything as well. I have no idea the horsepower I have, but you can see in my sig some of what I have done. I drive mine everyday and pull a 20,000 lb+ trailer once a week. If I did it again, I would definitely go with a commmonrail. Would be so nice to turn down the power. Never thought about that when I was building it.

well since im in iraq and need the truck done before i go to the Lima truck show next year, i plan on having Woodruff Diesel from back home in ohio do it, i wish i could do it at home if i was there but with no shop and not enough tools......it would never happen......