Talk me out of an auto swap...

I have a 2wd 47RE with suncoasts reverse pattern trans brake manual valve body. It's harsh but works great. Can't **** at slow speeds with the converter locked, bangs pretty hard. Full throttle shifts feel great though. I say do it!

So what is the consensus 47RH or RE? And which shifter do you guys suggest? I've got a ton of things going on right now and if I do switch jobs it will take ma while to get organized enough. I have a buddy here who wanted to swap me his auto for my NV, I may have to call him back...

RH's have the governor on the tailshaft so the output shaft has a hole for oil to flow through it, RE's do not have this and are slightly stronger because of it.

I'm doing the swap. Already sold my nv5600 and am in the process of buying a 47RH. Going to get Darren to setup the valve body. B&M ractchet shifter. 47RHs seem harder to come by than 47REs.

I'm running a DaveG RE. It holds more power then you have just fine.

You don't know very much about my motors capabilities then. I'll admit I keep her at about 700hp most of time, but I have no doubts she'll easily eclipse that 906... And will have no problems going north of 4 digits if I take the few hours to toss the other parts on. I just haven't been willing to really push the truck until I don't care how often I break it. I guess it doesn't matter, I have a car and 4 company trucks.

RH's have the governor on the tailshaft so the output shaft has a hole for oil to flow through it, RE's do not have this and are slightly stronger because of it.

Thank you.

I'm doing the swap. Already sold my nv5600 and am in the process of buying a 47RH. Going to get Darren to setup the valve body. B&M ractchet shifter. 47RHs seem harder to come by than 47REs.

What did you get out of the NV?

Last edited:
Firepunk Phatshaft trans, Kyle. Nuff said. I'll probably get raped for this but to me, I'd take a good built auto over a manual any day.

You don't know very much about my motors capabilities then. I'll admit I keep her at about 700hp most of time, but I have no doubts she'll easily eclipse that 906... And will have no problems going north of 4 digits if I take the few hours to toss the other parts on. I just haven't been willing to really push the truck until I don't care how often I break it. I guess it doesn't matter, I have a car and 4 company trucks.

No doubts? How about you do it before you keyboard dyno there Mr I have cars and trucks everywhere.

And 906 was just a tuning stepping stone. getting well over 1000 will happen. Just a matter of getting on a dyno before the snow falls.

What did you get out of the NV?

$1700 shipped, shipping was $368. It wasn't a perfect transmission, but still has life left in it and isn't terrible either. Third was just tempermental and the dual disc didn't help any.

No doubts? How about you do it before you keyboard dyno there Mr I have cars and trucks everywhere.

And 906 was just a tuning stepping stone. getting well over 1000 will happen. Just a matter of getting on a dyno before the snow falls.

You didn't seem to have any doubts that your truck was capable of much bigger power than mine while you had no clue what was under the hood in my newest motor. So I gather it's ok for a man with no knowledge of what I have to estimate my power but not the guy who knows whats done to it? Makes perfect sense to me.

I did my auto swap about 3 years ago. I did the ECM swap, wire harness, steering column, pedals, whole nine yards and haven't regretted it once. I also changed out the gear selector piece in the cluster as well. I had the trans built before I put it in, and I haven't had a single issue with the trans, other than I had to put a transducer in it about a year ago. Beings I didn't want to go full manual VB and wanted everything to work like factory. You'd never know it used to be a manual unless I told you.

This was on a '97 swapped for '97 Auto ECM and harness 47RE.

You didn't seem to have any doubts that your truck was capable of much bigger power than mine while you had no clue what was under the hood in my newest motor. So I gather it's ok for a man with no knowledge of what I have to estimate my power but not the guy who knows whats done to it? Makes perfect sense to me.

I know all. Mr 700hp.

I did my auto swap about 3 years ago. I did the ECM swap, wire harness, steering column, pedals, whole nine yards and haven't regretted it once. I also changed out the gear selector piece in the cluster as well. I had the trans built before I put it in, and I haven't had a single issue with the trans, other than I had to put a transducer in it about a year ago. Beings I didn't want to go full manual VB and wanted everything to work like factory. You'd never know it used to be a manual unless I told you.

This was on a '97 swapped for '97 Auto ECM and harness 47RE.

If I do an auto swap the truck will get caged, and we'll push for that 12-1300hp mark. So I really don't mind the idea of a manual vb, I actually prefer it. Especially coming from a 6 speed, I like the extra control. I've been on the fence with dumping the truck in favor of a new Ford or keeping the truck as a toy and dumping the car in favor of a tow rig. It would be a terrible investment, but it sure seems like fun!

If I do an auto swap the truck will get caged, and we'll push for that 12-1300hp mark. So I really don't mind the idea of a manual vb, I actually prefer it. Especially coming from a 6 speed, I like the extra control. I've been on the fence with dumping the truck in favor of a new Ford or keeping the truck as a toy and dumping the car in favor of a tow rig. It would be a terrible investment, but it sure seems like fun!

With the ease of doing a manual VB, I'd go for it. As long as you plan on build the trans like you do, I wouldn't hesitate one bit. Even all the work I did on my swap it really was a piece of cake. So yours would be even easier to do.

just one is an old Dick, and the other is a Dick with a big head, and arms.

He's a dick. But so am I, so I really can't say much. LOL

just one is an old Dick, and the other is a Dick with a big head, and arms.

Well, I know for a fact my twig and berries are not all shriveled up from all the roids that have not been taken to do my best impersonation of PopEye

Popeye-post-new1.jpg

.....and I'm not that old.