Talk me out of an auto swap...

DO IT! After spending two years rebuilding the drivetrain in my 97.... including the NV4500 and throwing a brand new SBC street DD in... and most of that time I was driving my old 99 Auto tow rig before I bought my Jetta... I wanna do a 47RH with manual VB & ratchet shifter myself.... then finish my twins....and go play at the local drag strips on the weekends! :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

Well, I know for a fact my twig and berries are not all shriveled up from all the roids that have not been taken to do my best impersonation of PopEye

Popeye-post-new1.jpg

.....and I'm not that old.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyA4XwHbTSI"]Family Guy: Popeyes Tumors - YouTube[/ame]

Do it. When I get the time to get my converter restalled, it''ll probably be the most fun I'll have with my truck in a long time. The auto is sooooo much nicer than the 6 speed.

Go with a ratchet style shifter. Much easier to keep in reach in a truck that a gate style. The Cheetahs look nice, but the cheap plastic construction starts breaking with common use.

Go with a ratchet style shifter. Much easier to keep in reach in a truck that a gate style. The Cheetahs look nice, but the cheap plastic construction starts breaking with common use.

Huh? I have been running a Cheetah for over a year and haven't experienced any breakage? Love the shifter. Enlighten me please.

As far as being in reach, its all in where you mount it. I have not tried a ratchet, it would be a PITA daily driving with a forward pattern VB.

I say do it, I've never had a manual cummins but seems like the guys I know with manuals complain more about there trannys than the auto guys . I do plan on going to a ratchet/gated shifter for next year.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

cheap plastic? I have been using mine for close to 3 years now and no issues at all. Plus if you want to drive your truck on the street and not just on the track a gated shifter is much better than a ratchet.

cheap plastic? I have been using mine for close to 3 years now and no issues at all. Plus if you want to drive your truck on the street and not just on the track a gated shifter is much better than a ratchet.

Not to hijack the thread but do you run yours with a full manial valve body? I'm leaning toward the cheetah shifter over a ratchet for mine because if/when I get sick of pulling it'll prob get twins and get street driven about more again

Do any of you guys have pictures of the shifter mounted in a 3rd gen truck? I'm starting to like this idea more and more.

Can you guys explain why you like the ratchet vs gated? I'm very unfamiliar. I just called them all ratchet shifters until now.

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread but do you run yours with a full manial valve body? I'm leaning toward the cheetah shifter over a ratchet for mine because if/when I get sick of pulling it'll prob get twins and get street driven about more again

Street driving is fine with it, the shifts are firm and its near impossible to mess them up. down shifting is just the opposite of up shifting, its so easy even a girl can do it!
20130503_185835_zps2b7baf35.jpg

Do any of you guys have pictures of the shifter mounted in a 3rd gen truck? I'm starting to like this idea more and more.

Can you guys explain why you like the ratchet vs gated? I'm very unfamiliar. I just called them all ratchet shifters until now.

kyle you have driven a gated before LOL

Go to YouTube and search "B&M pro ratchet shifter" best way to get an idea of what they are like. I went back and forth. Couldn't hardly decide. But in the end I went ratchet.

Street driving is fine with it, the shifts are firm and its near impossible to mess them up. down shifting is just the opposite of up shifting, its so easy even a girl can do it!
20130503_185835_zps2b7baf35.jpg

kyle you have driven a gated before LOL

Awesome, thats why leaning towards gated so my gf can get some seat time before we decide to get her a truck and build it for work stock. So I can go bigger with mine of course

I will say this, I had put in 4 of South Bend Clutchs and everyone had issues from clutch drag when trying to shift to one breaking the floated plate in 300 miles; which made me go to the auto in my current build. Never looked back. Full manual valvebody with a Cheetah Shifter too.

Do it! Not sure why you are dead set on a manual vb. You can still drive a nice built vb with a gated/ratchet shifter and leave it in drive when you don't want to shift. I have driven both style shifters daily. I honestly loved both.

Josh

I will say this, I had put in 4 of South Bend Clutchs and everyone had issues from clutch drag when trying to shift to one breaking the floated plate in 300 miles; which made me go to the auto in my current build. Never looked back. Full manual valvebody with a Cheetah Shifter too.

Peter helps every time, I'm just tired of needing the help.

Do it! Not sure why you are dead set on a manual vb. You can still drive a nice built vb with a gated/ratchet shifter and leave it in drive when you don't want to shift. I have driven both style shifters daily. I honestly loved both.

Josh

Because I don't want to screw with the electronics.

I typically like electronics, but **** that noise. what chrysler had going on for the REz is trash. A failing gov pressure sensor and solenoid will eat ****.

Spend the money on parts that will work. RH ftmfw

From my Not-So-Smart phone