TDI no power

turbom700

Issue with my 2000 Golf TDI with 250,000 miles

Little background on the car first. Bought the car about 6 months ago cleaned the intake and delete the EGR system all together along with all necessary plumping. Car has been running great in till Monday.

On Monday night I was getting on the highway in 3rd gear started to wind it out was at about 3 grand and it just fell flat on its face. Shift to 4 then 5th and slowly got up to highway speed. Could hardly do 70mph. Felt like I had about 1/8th to ¼ throttle. Anytime I went over that it wouldn’t go any wear. No check engine light ever came on. Once I got off the highway I shut the car off and restarted it and all was fine. Was on the highway for 3-5 miles doing 70mph

Thought maybe it was just something weird as I lugged down pretty good in 3rd getting on the interest before I got on the throttle.

Fast forward to this morning. Taking off from a stop light got into 2nd gear about the same RPM did the same thing. Shut it off while I was still rolling started it back up had power again but once I went over 3 grand it went back to nothing. Still no check engine light.

Left it in third and tried getting it to go over 3 grand it would but it wasn’t very smooth getting there kind of surged.

After this, the check engine light finally came on, but I didn’t have my scanner with me to check the codes.

Is this an over boost and going into limp mode that I’m feeling.

Tonight I’m going to check the vacuum lines going to the N75 valve and from there down to the waste gate/vane controller.

Thanks for all your help

Mike

My 2002 TDI Golf has the EXACT same issue... Been doing it for a while now..

All you have to do is re-key it and run....It just does it at random....

PLEASE let me know what you find... Its a Pain in my A$$!!

Will do going to dig into it tonight.

Thanks again for the play by play at the SS race. I think my wife was getting sick of me running into our computer room to watch the new videos.

Will do going to dig into it tonight.

Thanks again for the play by play at the SS race. I think my wife was getting sick of me running into our computer room to watch the new videos.

LOL

My pleasure man!

Yes, please keep me posted.
My VW guy said it threw a throttle valve code but we didn't have time to get into it...

I need to go back and have him scan it again and get all the proper info...He did mention poss. N75 as well...

I just haven't had time to get back with him... He also thought maybe a turbo problem because he said it threw a boost code of some sort...

I'm kicking myself in the arse for not writing that chit down...

Keep me posted...

Last edited:
Swole, the n75 is your valve for vacuum.
I bought on line shipped $52.00.

So this is it.. This'll fix the problem?

Or could there be a vacuum leak elsewhere?

This problem is very speratic... Sometimes its back to back fairly quick and other times its spread way out between miles...

Seems to do it more when I'm on / off the throttle failrly quickly...Like turning, leaving a light, or on / off / back on the throttle on the hwy...

The N75 valve is the most common problem however there could be a vacuum leak. I would just replace the valve, they do go bad so having a spare is not a bad thing.

I was also told that a bad MAF sensor will give you the fell of a 3000 rpm rev limter.

I drove it to lunch today and it seemed worse granted it like 2 degrees out right now and I only went a mile but still its usally not this bad.

Mike

I was also told that a bad MAF sensor will give you the fell of a 3000 rpm rev limter.

I drove it to lunch today and it seemed worse granted it like 2 degrees out right now and I only went a mile but still its usally not this bad.

Mike

Mines seems worse in the cold too.

Rev limit doesn't seem to be it for me...Its just simply and total loss of fueling, down to almost nothing...

It will still go, but will take forever to finally rev out...

I guess the N75 will be the first shot... I just don't want to start throwing parts on it and have it not be it...

I'll see what my boy at VW can get one for...

Stand by..

Last edited:
Had two code p1557 and p3130.

The p3130 is because of my EGR being deleted and I dont have the vehicle tuned for it.

P1557 is charge pressue control.

Did some testing with a vacuum pump and my acutatur seems to work fine down by the turbo. All tubing looks to be ok.

I think I will order up a N75 valve and pick up some new vacuum tubing and replace it all when the valve come in.

On my drive home from work today the car seemed to have plenty of power.

Will see what tomorrow brings.
Mike

Had two code p1557 and p3130.

The p3130 is because of my EGR being deleted and I dont have the vehicle tuned for it.

P1557 is charge pressue control.

Did some testing with a vacuum pump and my acutatur seems to work fine down by the turbo. All tubing looks to be ok.

I think I will order up a N75 valve and pick up some new vacuum tubing and replace it all when the valve come in.

On my drive home from work today the car seemed to have plenty of power.

Will see what tomorrow brings.
Mike

Thanks for the update!

I hope it just the valve and I'll go buy one..

I, like you, need to replace all the petrafied vaccum tubing...Mines hard as a rock..

Other than the basic's, I'm clueless on working on this thing... My buddy at VW or Billysgoat have to hold my hand through the rest...lol
German chit scares me!

Beside my full time job I own my own small auto repair business and some of the things Germans do just make me shack my head. They also have some really nice features and out of all the small cars out there VW are the only ones I like.

Like using 7mm bolts to hold the intake that can only be got thru a VW dealer for $3.

Couldnt use a 6mm or 8mm like ever other fricken company?

Mike

Beside my full time job I own my own small auto repair business and some of the things Germans do just make me shack my head. They also have some really nice features and out of all the small cars out there VW are the only ones I like.

Like using 7mm bolts to hold the intake that can only be got thru a VW dealer for $3.

Couldnt use a 6mm or 8mm like ever other fricken company?

Mike

Or how about triple square bolts all over the cars lol

Any more updates on this ??

Mines seems to have gotten worse since its hot out... Esp. When on the hwy.. Weird!

Blueboy, what site did you purchase this N75 vavle from??

I need to get one and see if its my prob.

Mine ended up being the turbo vanes being all gummed up. I have yet to take the turbo all apart to clean them yet. If you have a way to hook up a vacuum source to the line going to the vane actuator. When applying vacuum it should move .75"-1.00" inch mine moved maybe .25".

On a side note I let me friend drive it home from my work the other night and some how he smoked the clutch. Not sure if its is fault or if something happened to the pressure plate. There is no feel to clutch pedal anymore.

I was hoping to wait in till mid April to tear into this thing but that has been moved up to this week.

Things to do
TB/Water Pump
New injector possible bigger.
New clutch and Flywheel
Clean turbo
New pads and rotors
Fix sway bar bushings.

Should be fun
Mike

Sux that your buddy jacked up your ride..

If it was the turbo causing this issue, then how come all you have to do is re-key it and then it runs totally fine for a while..?

Just seems to be for me that it must be something other than a constant problem like a stopped up turbo.

These cars have a major loss of power when
intake manifold gets plugged with soot.
They all suffer from this problem. Take manifold
off clean, You wont believe the difference.
Swole, I went on line typed in VW n75 valve,
took me to store in MA. $52.00 ome shipped.
My dealer wanted $300.

These cars have a major loss of power when
intake manifold gets plugged with soot.
They all suffer from this problem. Take manifold
off clean, You wont believe the difference.
Swole, I went on line typed in VW n75 valve,
took me to store in MA. $52.00 ome shipped.
My dealer wanted $300.

The Intake was removed and cleaned Big Time when we did my EGR delete, Tming Belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump. Etc, just over a year ago.

I'll do some research on the valve. Just hope thats it.

If your going to replace valve, get new lines also.
Go to tdi forum, look for someone from your area
with Roth- tech: Vag-Com: program. There are
guys every where that help people. there is a listing
there of people.

Last edited: