THATS it.... I have had enough of this NV4500.. Time for a 6spd swap..

If I understand this correctly it sounds like there are only two versions (plus various tail-housings): http://www.advanceadapters.com/custom/nv4500.html A quick call would likely net a lot of helpful information.

White Knight is right. There are two cases, the early Chev and the late Chev/Dodge. I put one in my 85 Chev and wanted the lower first gear, so I went to the dealership and got a brand new one for a '93 Chev. I was told they all were the higher gear ratio even though they were built in the early case.

ok so now im a little nervous after reading this thread. with the power ive added in my sig....should i be worrying about buying upgrades for my nv4500?

ok so now im a little nervous after reading this thread. with the power ive added in my sig....should i be worrying about buying upgrades for my nv4500?

Hard to say since you sig is not too explicit. Probably not, but it all depends on how bad the previous owner beat the trans, etc.

the truck was a virgin when i bought it and never beat. what should i do to the tranny for preventative maintenance. I plan on doing a turbo upgrade and mild injectors but thats it.

sorry to hijack!

There are two different cases for the dodge. The '94-'97 have a longer shaft for reverse to ride on and the '98-'03 case have shorter ones. These are different than the chevy case. I learned this the hard way. I've busted 3rd gear and countershaft twice, 2nd gear and countershaft, input shaft and countershaft, and case and countershaft. Thought so many times about the 5600 swap, but I keep getting the whole tranny rebuilt and installed for less than a grand so its kind of hard putting up that kind of dough to do the swap. I just go ahead and plan to do it about once a year. Kind of bad, but so is buying everything else I'd need to do the swap and upkeep on it too.