Thinking of going back down...

Oh damn....I've dealt with a few clowns that insisted on adding some lift without disconnecting the trac bar and then wonder why they are fighting the truck for hours trying to install the second side LOL
Best is when they argue with me that it doesn't need to come off.....and then when they finally go get the damn 30mm socket so they can remove the trac bar and they are done within 15 mins after that :bang

hpprose said:
I'm getting ready to switch my front end to coil-overs. I'm going to grab most of the components from a 6" lift and just custom make the links. I will keep you guys posted as to how much lower we can go. I'm doing it for a softer ride not for a lower ride.

So, you are buying a conversion kit and only wanting to go close to stock height?

Why not do a complete swap to 05-07 axles, steering, suspension, etc.. and get the improved turning radius as well?

Basically because of cost. I want the improved ride quality of coil-overs but I don't have the budget to do a full conversion.

Down the road there are many things planned but right now, have to do I can afford.

What height are you going to have the truck at?
What brand of coilovers?

If you are looking to stay below a 4" lift....are you going to have the upper mount of the coilovers in the engine bay?

DCSpecial said:
On the front....you only have so much room before your diff will contact the engine crossmember.
If you go soft enough on the springs.....you'll damn near be riding on the bumpstops anyway.

That...and the 05+ trucks are coil springs.....so no spring under there :D

For the rear....the F-250 has a ~2" block and the F-350 is ~3.625". So, pulling the block will most likely take you as low as you need to go to match up with the front.
time for a dry sump and a fabbed up crossmember.

DCSpecial said:
What height are you going to have the truck at?
I only have an 1" or so clearance in my garage. So, I don't think I'm going to lift the truck at all. I would actually like to lower it but since it has a solid front axle, I will probably stay about the same height.

DCSpecial said:
What brand of coilovers?
Don't know yet. Have any suggestions?

DCSpecial said:
If you are looking to stay below a 4" lift....are you going to have the upper mount of the coilovers in the engine bay?
If you look at most coil-over conversion kits, they don't go into the engine bay. I'm hoping to buy most of the components to swap it over, and then just fab up some links. I haven't done any measurements yet, So I don't know what available and if it is possible.

This is just one of many projects that need to get done this summer.

I know most of the conversion kits don't go into the engine bay.....but with as long of a body as most companies use....to get some good useable travel at stock height, I'd think a conversion kit's mount will have to be modded or scrapped in favor of a custom mount.

Although, I could be wrong....a 6" travel coilover may fit in there, not sure without measuring a stock truck.

King and Fox are the most popular coilovers. Both great products.
King (AFAIK) gives you more options with the finish (i.e. chrome or custom anodized colors, etc...).

Cool. Thanks for the info. i will keep everyone posted as to what I'm planning/doing.

hpprose said:
Basically because of cost. I want the improved ride quality of coil-overs but I don't have the budget to do a full conversion.

Down the road there are many things planned but right now, have to do I can afford.

DC is right about just doing a swap. Its going to be hard to find a shock that will fit in there. Sway A Way has a 2.5" x 6" and that will need to be mounted higher up than what you find on the stock 05-07 coil buckets. Even if you did fab a 1 off mount DC talked about the axle hitting the cross member. It does happen. I had a customer come in with some old springs and was sitting about 1-2" lower than what it should have been stock and he was jamming the axle into the frame. Oh he came in to see if we could help the right:rolleyes:

You have a great idea, if it was me I would start looking for parts out off the junk yard to save a little money. When using the 05-07 front end the only thing you will run into is the upper trac bar mount not matching up perfect. We did a 05-07 swap into a 7.3L and it was very easy and clean.

Nor-Cal Nick

superduty_bronco.jpg

still 4 wheel drive:evil

It has an IFS front suspension out of a 3/4 ton suburban or something.
I saw a 4x4 bronco (lowered) at my local track one time. The guy had welded in all Expedition suspention into it.
I think that excursion is on truckin mag website. I'll find it.

Yeah, a IFS 4x4 can be lowered a bit more.

My buddy dropped his 4x4 Durango quite a bit.....of course the CV shafts didn't like it, so he would remove them for the summer months.

yeah, I don't think anyone here doesn't know you cannot lower a ifs 4x4. The Super Duties don't use an ifs system. They have a solid axle. I.E. cannot lower them very much with out hitting something.

Cool photos and idea

Im still looking for a kit to take it past the stock hieght, But either way i will have lots of stuff up for sale, ie tires&wheels lift, ect send me a pm if you want any thing (i will be taking the lift off in sept)

jello said:
superduty_bronco.jpg

still 4 wheel drive:evil

That's been conv. to UCA and LCA. That has been around for along time. Some bad a$$ fab work. Take some B@lls to cut a truck up like that.

Nor-Cal Nick