This is why you secure your load...

getblown5.9

Ceritified Kleenex Dealer
Im not sure who this is, got the pic from another forum...but kudos for them for properly securing the load. I've seen tucks leave from pulls with a chain running thru their hitch loop, and a chain over the weight bracket with no binders, just chains pulled hand tight and hooked.

jordynstruck.jpg

Im a stickler for secure loads. I always use 4 binders on my truck and 2 chains. My buddies make fun of me but it only takes about 5 min longer to do it right. I have seen to many loads lost.

man i got chastized badly on pirate 4x4 because i use 4 chains and 4 binders when hauling my truck. they said 2 binders is more than enough, just hook up the chains on one end of the truck, drive forward or back to get them tight, then chain the other end down and use binders. no thanks, i can chain down my truck in 20 minutes alone, and 10 with some help, and i have yet to have a binder come loose or chain fall off.

That almost looks like Johnboys rig. Hope it wasn't.

That almost looks like Johnboys rig. Hope it wasn't.

Not me. Thanks for the concern! My trailer is sitting with 2 feet of snow on it right now.

I always use 4 chains and binders.

Attachments

• IMGP0769.jpg
    IMGP0769.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 324
A few years ago I was at our local tractor show. An old wobbler pulled in with his half ton truck and his tractor on the trailer. (I wish I had pictures of this.) How was the tractor secured on the trailer? The brakes were set, the tractor was in gear......and a piece of string tied the way you would tie your shoes going from the front of the trailer to the front axle on the tractor...:ugh:

A few years ago I was at our local tractor show. An old wobbler pulled in with his half ton truck and his tractor on the trailer. (I wish I had pictures of this.) How was the tractor secured on the trailer? The brakes were set, the tractor was in gear......and a piece of string tied the way you would tie your shoes going from the front of the trailer to the front axle on the tractor...:ugh:

I have too many stories to list of farmers and they way they tie stuff down.
:(
Luckily my Dad has taught me to tie everything down with binders and straps and triple checking your load.

Wow I bet they had to pull seat out of their behind after that one. That is why I am a big fan of chains and binders. If I remember correctly the law actually states that you have to have at least four chains and binders securing vehicle, more for other types of equipment.

What was a SRW truck doing pulling this load to begin with????

I always leave it up to HER to secure my load!!!!! LOL

OOPS!! Wrong forum!!! lol

Wow I bet they had to pull seat out of their behind after that one. That is why I am a big fan of chains and binders. If I remember correctly the law actually states that you have to have at least four chains and binders securing vehicle, more for other types of equipment.

not for non DOT/commercial stuff...any regular joe shmoe could haul a truck with 1 strap on the front and 1 on the rear and its legal as far as DOT is concerned.

now if you are a commercial rig hauling cars or equipment thats when you have requirements for securing the cargo you are hauling. this is why so many idiots out there cause accidents.

not for non DOT/commercial stuff...any regular joe shmoe could haul a truck with 1 strap on the front and 1 on the rear and its legal as far as DOT is concerned.

now if you are a commercial rig hauling cars or equipment thats when you have requirements for securing the cargo you are hauling. this is why so many idiots out there cause accidents.

I guess that is only in IL then. I know my cousin has had a talking to by a DOT officer at a weigh station when they changed the law in IL, I just thought it was a nationwide thing.

I have a system on my truck where I use one chain on the front and one on the back, but I also use 2 10K straps on the front axle and one on the back. I have no doubt it would all hold my truck on the trailer even if the trailer was upside down, lol.

Well Im a little sloppy when tying down my jeep. Usually one strap on the front and one axle on the back axle. But if my jeep fell off the trailer you would never be able to tell.

The Jeep gets 2 chains, 2 binders, over the axles and 2 straps over the frame. to load the suspension. The truck gets this x2. You cant load the suspension enough with binders to hold solid and chains don't like shock loads. On the other hand leaving all the weight of the rig bouncing around will put a lot of stress on your trailer. Especially if your running close to your weight rating.http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/images/smilies/2cents.gif Don't forget to wire the handles down, I learned the hard way. Lost a D7 bulldozer once.

I have a Class A CDL and used to haul heavy equipment with a lowboy or a Tri axle dumptruck with a 20ton pintle hitch trailer and DOT are pretty strict on oversize load stuff but on almost everything i use 2 chains 4 binders the chains have to be long and the binders have a big hook on one end and the trailer has D rings all the way doen the side. I can chain stuff down pretty quick like this. I have a picture with me hauling a 627 scraper. I laugh at the way people strap stuff down especially trucks when they run a chain over the rearend then under the diff then back over and put 1 binder on it. It loosens up within 5 minutes and they cant figure out why