Throttle is to touchy after p pump swap

pierce460

Beave Wrangler
Just as the tittle says after doing my swap the throttle is so touchy that its hard to drive in the first 3 gears. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Ryan

How stiff are your return spring(s)? Try a stiffer spring and see how you like it. That usually takes a lot of the jerk out of driving with the higher rpm springs.

What gov. springs does the pump have in it?

go to the parts store and get some double return springs from the HELP section... it'll cost you a few bucks and will make the truck drivable :)

Mine did the same thing.
I put the heavier throttle return springs on, and backed off my gov springs 1 click. Now it's sensible to drive again.

Well i have now tried all of the above, I added heavy return springs and took 2 clicks out of the springs and she is still touchy and hard to drive. NOW WHAT?:bang

The throttle is already hard to push i dont know if it could get any stiffer and still be able to push it down.

I've got 5k's in my truck and i think they are coming out for some 4ks...id like to have the ability to turn over 4k but the streetable part is more important to me right now. But what i have been doing for the time being is holding my foot on the right side of the throttle on the firewall and rolling my foot into the throttle vs just having my entire foot on the throttle...taking like you said is by the far the worst part and i have to be super careful or it will jerk and bounce ungodly terrible.

I've got 5k's in my truck and i think they are coming out for some 4ks...id like to have the ability to turn over 4k but the streetable part is more important to me right now. But what i have been doing for the time being is holding my foot on the right side of the throttle on the firewall and rolling my foot into the throttle vs just having my entire foot on the throttle...taking like you said is by the far the worst part and i have to be super careful or it will jerk and bounce ungodly terrible.

Ya I know mines terrible I just dont know what to do with it, and mine only has 4ks in it.

Last edited:
That aint no fun but if thats what it comes to i guess ill have to.