throttling problems, please help!!!!!!

red dodge2

well we got the truck to idle, with the truck off if you thorottle it from the accelerator pedal in the cab everything works fine. but when you start it up, it doesnt want to accelerate and the linkages are all moving.

Would the 5k governor springs have something to do with it?

Im lost and dont know what to do as of right now!

everything is hooked up as it should be...everything works from inside the cab...i dont know how to really explain it.

im thinking the timing may be a lil bit off, it smokes white like an SOB at idle. i know its gonna smoke white a lil but, but lord, i dont think it should that much.

all the way on would be flipped up correct, if so we had that up. what would all that white smoke be? we set the timing at 22* but dont know if its that to be exact. maybe its less than what we think it is?

i tried today and cant even get it to start! this sucks! im about to just give up on this dang thing!

I'll send you a p.m. with my number and see if I can help you sort it out.

are you shure you had tdc when you timed it? Does it clatter like an sob or sound ok? First truck I ever timed awhile back, we scewed up tdc. it cranked for awhile, and ran , but clattered something terrible, and smoked worse than a pulling truck at idle. turned out the mark on the balancer that we assumed was tdc, was 1/4 turn out, because i had been removed and put back on after making the mark on it. We were way high.LOL but it ran just ike your talking other than, it would rev in park.

it has a lil clatter and it smokes white at idle like an SOB!, we used a screwdriver to find tdc.

we stuck the screwdriver down inside the #1 injector hole. and rolled the engine over till the tip if to screwdrive came up and started to go down.

we stuck the screwdriver down inside the #1 injector hole. and rolled the engine over till the tip if to screwdrive came up and started to go down.

Did you account for dwell time at TDC? You could be a few degrees off, but not enough it's shouldn't at least run.

IMHO, that's not a very accurate way to determine TDC;)
Chris

dwell time? i beginning to think we slipped somewhere along the line when we timed it. it smokes white at idle way worse than a pulling truck and shakes when it trying to fire. Mark at TDI is gonna try and get down here to help.

your supposed to roll the engine back which is counter clock wise when you time the engine to the pump correct?

I built a tool, using a stock pump nut and a nut welded on it with a bolt. use th bolt to jam it on the pump and you can turn the pump to desired lift, leave the engine at tdc the whole time. I find tdc using drop valve method. Dwell time refers to the point in the engine rotation when the piston is at the top of it's stroke. The piston will stay still at the top while the crank is still turning, for a small amount of time.

dwell time?

your supposed to roll the engine back which is counter clock wise when you time the engine to the pump correct?

Dwell time is the time the piston will stay at TDC. One way to account for it is the mark TDC when approaching clockwise, and do the same but approaching counter clockwise, this way true TDC will the the exact center of these two marks.

When you time the pump make sure you come up to TDC rotating clockwise to keep the backlash in the gears out. When you bar the pump to the desired amount of lift:
pop the gear loose,
then rotate engine counter clockwise a good amount (45-90*),
the rotate the engine clockwise back to TDC. If you go past TDC you need to rotate CCW 45+* again then come back going CW.

y couldnt use just have the pump pinned, pop the gear loose and then turn the motor back to the desired degree? that is what i did.