Timing pins.

ride42

980MW
Due to the fact of mine shearing I will be needing a new one. Thought came across my mind to make a CNC file and turn it out on a lathe. Was wondering if there would be any interest in some steel ones. I would harden them as well and if there is enough interest I can powdercoat them black. Let me know if there is interest.

I had one that was made from aluminum, worked great till I lost it. I wouldn't powdercoat them. The powder will flake off the nub that goes into the hole for sure and would mess with the tolerances. That thing is a b to get in the hole already.

i would want one! i did the valve drop with a dial indicator ad marked my balancer so i know exactly where tdc is but i would like a metel timing pin anyways. I know with my timing pin it was dead on with my valve drop method. once the pin droped in place it was tight. That was with a brand new plastic pin. But if i had a metel one it would be better cause i know the plastic one will wear out like my old one did.

I had a buddy that had a steel or aluminum one made for him. Cant remember which.

The stock one works fine for me. I always just remove the O-Ring on it and it is still a tight fit, but pushes in and out much easier.

Eric

I thought about steel, but the first time I forget to pull it out before starting, the consequences will be worse than a plastic nub.

soooo, how much are you looking to get for one of these? the thing to make sure is perfect is gonna be that the hole in the cam gear is the exact fit for your new pin your making. thats the key to getting it to set at perfect tdc with the pin.

soooo, how much are you looking to get for one of these? the thing to make sure is perfect is gonna be that the hole in the cam gear is the exact fit for your new pin your making. thats the key to getting it to set at perfect tdc with the pin.

I still need to write the program and line up the material. Depends on the material I use also. I will probably stick with aluminum.

The jist was don't bother.....Did I listen ? NO I had one made on a lathe.

Don't bother but yet you did the same thing? Still not sure where you are going with this.

OK, I put the idea out there also and the consenciuos was don't bother to do it. I also wanted to see if there was interest to the general membership also but did it anyway.

so how did it work out for you? have you sheared off your new pin? if not then its got to be worth it.

I did not shear off my stocker but had to pull mine out to time other peoples motors because of carelessness so I made a steel one just for timing and put the stocker back in when done.

nice probly what im gonna do to if i ever get a metel one. i got a new stock pin for 11 buck with shipping but i still want a metel one

Are you guys talking about the timing pin that goes in the side of the pump?

the timing pin that goes in the hole of the back of the cam gear. It is underneath the injection pump though

I thought so... I've cracked the slotted pin for my pump and have been tempted to make an aluminum one of them too.

I thought about steel, but the first time I forget to pull it out before starting, the consequences will be worse than a plastic nub.

That was my first thought. We all may say that we won't be stupid enough to leave the pin in accidentally, but sooner or later, someone is gonna do it.