timing

Where are you? There are a lot of people that do. Check out any local machine shops.

ive ran mine at 20* for the past 2 years with a 66mm charger on stock bolts and still holding strong

Just get you a marine headgasket and 12mm arp studs. We ran that on one of our trucks for 2 years with 5x18 inj, 500cc pump and 27* timing turning close to 5k as a daily drive/ sled puller. The block finally cracked but the head gasket was perfect

I believe they are 420 ish and the gasket was about 100$ for genuine cummins from our local diesel shop. It was 30 thous thicker than the stock one so it should bave been 90 thous total. Help drop compression just alittle bit to give room for more air and fuel. (aka the sickness) LOL We sold our used 12mm studs for 150$ a week ago because all of our motors are 14mm now. To bad we didnt still have them.

If you have different spray pattern injectors, like ddps, then dont' go too high either

If you have a pump that's non 215 and a small charger (62mm or less) I like 18. I'm running 18 on my benched pump with an ED 362 charger and it works excellently for a combination of excellent street mannors and good top end pull. If you have a 215 pump and want to run max rack then maybe a bit more timing would suit you. This is independant of having had your head studded or not. Studs/oring is a good idea period in my opinion if you want to push the envelope regardless of timing you're running. Sure, some may not break but some will.

since yall are on the subject could you tell me what all is needed to adj your timing? and how you do it.

timing should be set for what you want and your intended use by someone that knows what it should be set to for what you are going to use it for. Timing is very opinion based on this sight and different people have had success and failer with their different tunes. I personally like higher timing. I run 32 degrees but i also have studs. I also have blown head gaskets at 16 degees so its not always easy to say what caused a failer. It more about your plans. Do you have a small turbo and housing and plan on running higher rpm. You should prolly run lower timing. If you are planning on towing its a toss up because higher timing lowers egts but you sacrifice low end torque and spoolup.. Ive seen stock stuff hold 26 degrees but they also retorqued the bolts and had a bigger turbo. so I would say you should like between 16.5 and 21.5 on your truck.. take my opinion for what its worth.. nada

Last edited: