Tips for replacing ball joints

satburn

I started Saturday, on what I thought was going to be a nice day full of replacing all 4 ball joints on my '01 and front axle u-joints. Who knew, it would turn into 2 days full of swearing, hammering and sore muscles.

The good news? I'm done. As a result of this I thought I would pass on some helpful tips that I learned while doing this that made life easier after doing the passenger side first. I didn't see some of these published out there in the internets while doing my searching.

#1) Axle nut. Unless you are replacing the hub assembly, there's really no need in straining to get that thing broke loose. If you do plan on replacing it, use a strategically placed jack stand and put the breakover bar in its saddle. You have at least 400ft/lbs of torque, no sense letting it go to waste.

#2) PB Blaster... buy it, use it... on everything.

#3) Ball Joint Press... The O'reilly's here rents a nice one, it served me well. Tighten till resistance is more than you can overcome... smack axle housing around ball joint with hammer a few times, repeat tightening of press, oh and PB Blaster...

#4) The old lower ball joint nut. Keep it. This can be used to assist in pressing out the upper ball joint as it slides over the threads of the stud and rests against the taper. This also can be stacked under the press plate for pressing out the bottom ball joint. The set I rented didn't have press plates that were deep enough to push the ball joint all the way out. That nut assisted in doing both.

#5) Socket trick for removing the hub assembly. You can use a combination of a 3" extension and a 14mm deep socket against the end of the axle, or a 6" extension and a shallow 14mm socket against the lower spring mount. Use the truck power steering to walk the hub out of the knuckle, alternating sides.

#6) Use the jack and a breakover bar to assist with loosening stubborn hub bolts if your hands hurt from swinging the hammer.

#7) Need a cheater bar? Your floor jack handle might be stout enough depending on who made it and if the handle is easy to remove.

#8) Unless you like removing brake calipers, then the brake caliper mounting bracket, then leave the whole thing together and just remove the caliper mounting bracket... saves a couple of bolts.

#9) ABS Sensor. Don't go bending your rotor rock guard all up trying to get that little thing out. There's a notch in the metal guard adjacent to it, lead the wire up through the slot and twist it out of the larger hole at the top.

#10) U-Joint Clips. Smack the caps with a 3lbs hammer to loosen them up and drive them in a bit. Makes getting those little c-clips out much much easier.

Granted I started in the evening, got thirsty and took plenty of breaks, but I did NOT have to use a heat wrench on them, they all did press out. Man were those joints shot! Drives much differently now and I actually have this thing called bump steer? Weird...

Now on to doing the 3rd gen steering upgrade.

I always freeze my part before I install them. It helps sometimes. And PB blaster everything. A week in advance if you can.

50/50 mix of acetone and ATF makes an ass out of PB blaster, not knocking PB, I use it too. If you are able, the easiest way to remove the old joint is with a torch. Remove the grease nipple or drill a hole in the flat part, cut said flat out with a torch, hammer and a punch and the rest comes out very easy. Much quicker and easier than a press.

50/50 mix of acetone and ATF makes an ass out of PB blaster, not knocking PB, I use it too. If you are able, the easiest way to remove the old joint is with a torch. Remove the grease nipple or drill a hole in the flat part, cut said flat out with a torch, hammer and a punch and the rest comes out very easy. Much quicker and easier than a press.

I have a torch, but was out of gas... and it wasn't that bad to press them. I'm just happy it's all done and hopefully for a LONG LONG time!

What he said ^^^. I would just rather someone else deal with this kind of stuff. Not that I couldn't do it, it's just I'd rather not do it.

For stuff like this.... I pay some one else LOL

What he said ^^^. I would just rather someone else deal with this kind of stuff. Not that I couldn't do it, it's just I'd rather not do it.

Where's your sense of adventure??? :hehe:

I could have paid somebody sure.... but when I can do it, save that money in labor and apply that towards the 3rd gen steering upgrade, I figure I'm money ahead. $.02

That, and I have this thing about other people working on my stuff. I want to know that I know, that I KNOW, those ball joint studs were torqued to the right specs and cotter pins were put back in, and they put all 4 hub bolts back in it and not just 3... stuff like that.

I love adventure. I don't enjoy torture.

And I used to care about other people working on my vehicle. Older I get, less I care about wrenching on maintenance stuff and repairs and the more I save that energy for wrenching on fun stuff. I've found that by the time I invest my time, materials, frustration, and utilities on the house (takes water and electricity), I'm not really coming out ahead by enough to justify me working on general maintenance and repairs. Especially when it's 105* outside.

Everything is rather easy, just don't leave the upper grease zirk in after you grease it. The axle will take it out and you will be taking everything back apart again. I did it to both sides knowing it an issue; it's just one of those stupid things.

Everything is rather easy, just don't leave the upper grease zirk in after you grease it. The axle will take it out and you will be taking everything back apart again. I did it to both sides knowing it an issue; it's just one of those stupid things.

I guess you're talking about 94-99 trucks?

I'm just happy it's all done and hopefully for a LONG LONG time!

What joints did you use? Hopefully not Moog.

#1) Axle nut. Unless you are replacing the hub assembly, there's really no need in straining to get that thing broke loose. If you do plan on replacing it, use a strategically placed jack stand and put the breakover bar in its saddle. You have at least 400ft/lbs of torque, no sense letting it go to waste.

Good grief. It shouldn't be that tight.

What joints did you use? Hopefully not Moog.

Good grief. It shouldn't be that tight.

I weigh a buck 65 and bounced for a while on my breakover bar... didn't budge... then saw my jack stand sitting there doing nothing... saw my truck doing nothing... and figured I'd work smarter not harder and put them to work.

I installed moog problem solvers...

http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pdf_en1/MOOG_PS_Bulletin_29007_K7460_En.pdf

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Just rent a ball joint press. Made it a 20 min/side job.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Just rent a ball joint press. Made it a 20 min/side job.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

#3) Ball Joint Press... The O'reilly's here rents a nice one, it served me well. Tighten till resistance is more than you can overcome... smack axle housing around ball joint with hammer a few times, repeat tightening of press, oh and PB Blaster...

#4) The old lower ball joint nut. Keep it. This can be used to assist in pressing out the upper ball joint as it slides over the threads of the stud and rests against the taper. This also can be stacked under the press plate for pressing out the bottom ball joint. The set I rented didn't have press plates that were deep enough to push the ball joint all the way out. That nut assisted in doing both.

:confused: :poke: