Ton of blow by. Whats goin on.

Light It Up

Hey guys I got my new 215 pump on and HOLY HELL I will never own another VP 24v unless I buy it to Ppump it. Runs awesome but still have some bugs to work out. I took it down the road and got on it for about 15 sec. and came back to the shop and I noticed my front end was coverd in oil. I saw somethin about these truck after a Ppump conversion with this prob. I got under and it is FOR SURE coming from the blow by tube. What do I need to do or what does this mean? Thanks guys.

You need to add more breathers. I am sure that if you search you will find several options.

Ok Im gana put 2 breathers on the top of the valve cover and then Il put a 12v tappet cover on when I take my pump off to get benched tuned. Ive read of burnt pistons and other serious thing and Im just hopin its not that. It runs good. TONS OF POWER.

if you do the 12V tappet cover your going to need to relocate the ecm or maybe just use longer standoffs because of where the ecm mounts vs where the tappet cover bumps out for the breather.

Hey guys I put two small breather filter one in my fill cap and one in the middle of the valve cover. I drove it and gave it all kind of hell and no oil so the breathers WORKED!!!!!!!! Still may get a little under power but not much.

Just finished my conversion and on it's first run it puked a bunch of oil.... have my valve cover breather curing out as we speak...

why is there so much blow bye just from swapping the injection system?? getting ready to put a motor together myself to have ready for my 94.

Ive heard the high RPM and the increased cylinder pressure. I sat in the shop today and took it up to 4k just sittin and I got out and there was a half dollar amount of oil under my blowby tube. I did take it on the hwy and it pulls hard from 2200 - 3200 and then it stops pulling so hard. Im sure its just tunning but I didnt know if you guys had any idea of a place to start? Thanks

Can't answer your question, but am curious on how much HP you were making with your VP and how the street manners are in comparison. I'm paying close attention in case my VP decides to die.

Lavon

Can't answer your question, but am curious on how much HP you were making with your VP and how the street manners are in comparison. I'm paying close attention in case my VP decides to die.

Lavon
The dyno sheet said 457hp and 916tq but I had the adren. and was set on a tune that fueled way to much and the smoke never cleared up and the guy pulled it in 6th gear and my buddy pulled in 6th gear then in 5th gear and jumped 47hp more in 5th gear. There is no comparison between my vp and the ppump. It was ok power wise with the vp but now its just plain crazy. The sound of the motor under high accel. is nuts. It sounds like a grizzly bear growling (not kidding) I cant wait to drive it when I get it all tuned up. I havent played with the pump any. 215hp pump, High Flow DVs, #8 plate,5kgsk,250hp injectors,66turbo,.093 lines. I dont know what kinda hp rage i should be in with these mods. What do you guys think Im around for HP? Thanks

Its not all blow by the oil return for the pump dumps out of the front of the pump and the crancase presure helps push some of that oil from the return push out the breather

Very nice. Was the whole under of your front end coverd in oil?

Uhhhh, yeah... very much so. I drove it 186 miles back home leaving nice oil spots everywhere I stopped... not because it was still puking oil but because of all the residual oil on the under carriage.

I actually prefer the street manners(smoke) of my Ppump swap to my VP.... I'm running a benched 450cc ppump with a tuned AFC, conversion Mach 7's and twins and it's a little cleaner running around than my HRVP44, Mach 5's, TS MVP and Smarty on 6..... I actually need to turn the wick up just a bit on the ppump but I want to get some miles on the cam before I really unleash it.

These trucks do sound mean at 4k....

You should see how much mine puked on 3 dyno pulls. Do you have any pics of the valve cover breathers you did. I have been planning to do the same.

You should see how much mine puked on 3 dyno pulls. Do you have any pics of the valve cover breathers you did. I have been planning to do the same.
Here ya go. Im gana take the one out of my oil fill cap and put it down on the valve cover just so it looks better. I just whent to my local parts store and got there little filters and a couple 1/4" threaded hose barbs and a 1/4"NPT tap and it took me a whole 15 min. to get both of mine in. Its a very easy project. Heres my other thread with the pictures.
Heres a couple videos of the Ppump 24v. - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

fwiw, I feel a lot better about my swap now that I see several other guys have puked oil after doing the swap....

I think what we're going to do for a permanent solution is buy one of the cummins valve covers and weld(we know a good aluminum welder) in some 90^ pipes and run 3 breathers in the valve cover as well as run a tappet cover breather and just block off the factory breather....

I run the stock one and 12v tappet cover and have no problems

i took mine out today for the first time and when i got back there was a ton of oil dripping from the bottom of the truck, i checked the blowby catch bottle and it was pretty much full with oil. i dont have any breathers installed yet. Would all that oil dripping from the truck prolly be from the blowby bottle?

i took mine out today for the first time and when i got back there was a ton of oil dripping from the bottom of the truck, i checked the blowby catch bottle and it was pretty much full with oil. i dont have any breathers installed yet. Would all that oil dripping from the truck prolly be from the blowby bottle?

Yes...