trailer tires

I am buying some of those 17.5's, I have them on my horse trailer. They are hard to find and big money.

I've always ran LT tires on trailers until now. I've had enough of them blow completely apart. Hopefully the ST's will be better. Only time will tell.

And I'd say....when you blow a 17 on the highway on a sunday and the only store that is open is wal-mart tire center, you'd better pick a rim you can get a tire for in a pinch. You can always put a 235 of any variety to get you home if you are on the road and the tires blow. $.02

Last edited:
I've always ran LT tires on trailers until now. I've had enough of them blow completely apart. Hopefully the ST's will be better. Only time will tell.

And I'd say....when you blow a 17 on the highway on a sunday and the only store that is open is wal-mart tire center, you'd better pick a rim you can get a tire for in a pinch. You can always put a 235 of any variety to get you home if you are on the road and the tires blow. $.02

Good point. I usually carry 2 spares for that reason.

Good point. I usually carry 2 spares for that reason.

...add that sometimes when the front one blows...it takes the one behind it out as well. Don't get crazy on changin' rim sizes. I don't like that idea. $.02

I buy trailer tires like there is no tomorrow with all my trailers burning up the road. I cant get them anymore around here but Goodyear Workhorse are by far the best trailers tires we have run in the last 10 years. Up next would be a cheaper brand name called Hi Run. For the money there pretty tuff.

I've got Goodyear marathons on my fifth wheel camper. I had one explode on the highway in Ohio but I was going way to fast for way too long in the heat. They are only on a 15" rim. I plan on upgrading to Firestone transforce in a 16 soon

I cant get them anymore around here but Goodyear Workhorse are by far the best trailers tires we have run in the last 10 years.

Had those on my '99 dually. Loved those tires. A close comparison to them are the Goodyear Dura-tracs I have now. They have been by far the best wearing tire on the front of the '02. They wear great. They don't balance for chit is the problem I have with them. But, I would never put them on a trailer due to the fact that they cost $190 each. :(

Anyone know the composition difference in the LT and ST tires? Do the STs handle heat better or not? I've had bad luck with LTs on trailers.

17.5 TRAILER WHEELS TIRES

Interesting.

Dan,

Those are the exact wheels and tires that I bought last year for my triple axle, except the tires are Goodyear. How many are you looking for? I ended up buying a lot of them, and could part with 4 of the wheels/tires mounted.

The ones I have are really made to use a 5/8" lug stud. The two standard ways to mount (I think) are to use a lug "ring" that goes on between the lug nuts and the rim to provide more even clamp load. Or, you can use a 45° tapered lug nut (as opposed to the normal vehicle type 30° lug nuts).

Presumably to utilize the 6005 lb rating of the tire, 5/8" studs are required.

So far, I really like the tires. However, I've not come close to reaching the 36,030 lb limit of the tires on the triple axle. I like the idea of not having to worry about the tires though.

FWIW, Goodyear, Pirelli, and a few other companies were the few that I found that offered a tire of this caliber that was rated to be pulled at 70 mph.

--Eric

PM me a price for 4 of them, I will kick it around. I have a plethora of 16" rims. Really only need 2 new tires. If I get 2 new tires that actually will give me 3 decent spares.

I work at a tire warehouse and in 235/80/16 we sell the crap out of akuret hf188's

In 235/86/16 we sell a lot of linglong f835's and a few Goodyear g614's and some in a trailer recap

In a 7.50/16 we sell a lot of hankook f19's(expensive) and we have been selling quite a few double coin rt500's recently

We also deal out a lot of the hi-runs since they are pretty cheap

Last edited:
Had those on my '99 dually. Loved those tires. A close comparison to them are the Goodyear Dura-tracs I have now. They have been by far the best wearing tire on the front of the '02. They wear great. They don't balance for chit is the problem I have with them. But, I would never put them on a trailer due to the fact that they cost $190 each. :(

Anyone know the composition difference in the LT and ST tires? Do the STs handle heat better or not? I've had bad luck with LTs on trailers.

Price is why nobody carries them here anymore. I run them because i average 1500-2000 miles every two weeks with atleast 14k on the trailer and we do right of way work. To say were ruff on tires is a understatement. In the last year i have replaced 5 shackels on the trailer from the powerlines we work.

My trailer had 235/80/16s and they were junk completely generic tires with thin sidewalls. I might have got 12k miles out of them and that wasn't overloaded. I usually just pull the pulling truck around. I put some 235/85/16 BFGoodrich Commercial T/As on there and they wear like iron. I wouldnt put trailer tires on mine again but thats just me.

I've also shy'd away from A/T tires due to most of them throwing rocks and mud all over my schidtt. $.02

Goodyear G614 load range G. Buying some now for my LQ horse trailer. Get ready to dig into your pocket though. You have 2 choices for load range G in a 235/85r16. One chinease piece of crap Sunoi somthing or other or Goodyear G614's. $400 bucks a piece....

I think if I had singles like a 14k trailer or a horse trailer I'd get G load range but for my purpose and having 8 tires Es work just fine.

We sell 235/85/16 Prometer's for that same price...

Goodyear G614 load range G. Buying some now for my LQ horse trailer. Get ready to dig into your pocket though. You have 2 choices for load range G in a 235/85r16. One chinease piece of crap Sunoi somthing or other or Goodyear G614's. $400 bucks a piece....

you are being ripped, the last 614's we had in stock sold for a hair under 300