Trailers, the little things

97crewcab

Wrong.
Post up pictures or ideas on trailer modifications. The little things that make it unique or useful.

I got the idea from a thread on Pirate4x4 about trailers. Not what trailer to buy or not to buy, but the little things we do to our trailers to make them more useful. The thread on Pirate4x4 HERE

What kind of trailer?

A box at the front to hold a block/wheel chock/sandplate.

Any kind of trailer. If you think it is a good idea that someone can use, post it up.

Hooks on the axles, so you don't have to drape the chain over it everytime. I have a weight bracket on the front of the deck. Pull the truck up and throw the weights on, and off.

I'm needing to put some way to attach a strap to the back of mine... It's a pain getting pulled out backwards with a trailer if you don't have a way to hook up a strap.

I built a frame and then hung a steel tool box between the rails of gooseneck. It's easily accessible from the deck. Also ran a 12V cigarette lighter plug up to the side of the tool box and I use a 12V tractor light mounted on a magnet that has an extension cord that plugs into the 12V plug. I can stick the light anywhere on the trailer I need it. For chaining the truck down I have two D-rings on the frame that I run the chain through.
150086_lg.jpg

I also put jackstands under the weight bar to keep from compressing the suspension once the binders are tightened. This makes a world of difference when towing as the truck doesn't bounce on the trailer. I also built a simple wooden frame in the middle of the trailer that I lay all of my suitcase weights in so they are flat on the deck, thus lowering the center of gravity and spreading the load on the trailer. A friend cut the center boards out between the frame rails of his trailer and dropped the deck in the middle for additional storage.

I built a frame and then hung a steel tool box between the rails of gooseneck. It's easily accessible from the deck. Also ran a 12V cigarette lighter plug up to the side of the tool box and I use a 12V tractor light mounted on a magnet that has an extension cord that plugs into the 12V plug. I can stick the light anywhere on the trailer I need it. For chaining the truck down I have two D-rings on the frame that I run the chain through.

Good idea on the cigarette lighter.

Is there one place that is better than others for putting your truck tie downs. PSUCE any pics?

Good idea on the cigarette lighter.

Is there one place that is better than others for putting your truck tie downs. PSUCE any pics?

I don't have any pics of the D-rings but I bolted them to the bottom of the front cross member, just inside the frame rails. I'm sure on a second gen there should also be somewhere good to mount them. You could even get the ones that weld on and mount them anywhere front or back. Here is a pic showing where the chains attach and also the jackstands under the weight bracket.

Attachments

• truck on trailer.jpg
    truck on trailer.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 101
something maybe stupid but if your hauling around a bumper pull and you know how you always have to find something to put the jack on to get it up high enough. I use one of those recycled rubber drive up lifts for like doing oil changes and stuff and then that way if you get a flat on the higway(tandem axle or better) you can just back the trailer up onto it and change out the tire without getting you jacks and crap out

I have mounted a couple of Tractor Flood Lights just under the neck of mine, that way it makes loading at night alot safer. Mine are wired in to the power wire on the running lights. Now all I need is a winch.....

Lynn

LED lights, they have been the single best mod to any trailer I own, no more running down wiring/light issues on the side of the road at midnight.

you can go a little more crazy and take out the springs and run air bags its a nicer ride for whatever is on the trailer and it will always stays at the same hight if you put a leveling valve on it. plus if you put a gage on the air pressure and do the math you can tell how heavy your axels are buy you air pressure.
hydrolic jacks if you are lazy. winches to skid/ pull things on.

Once my truck is ready for the season i need to make some modifications to the trailer.

- weld some flat bar between the uprights on the neck to hang binders and chain hooks on, then another flat bar with a hinge and lock mechanism in front of it that can close and lock the binders, and chains in place.

-truck battery on trailer to run deck lamps, and winch. just need to figure out how to wire it/isolate it so it charges off the truck but doesnt pull amperage thru the trailer plug from the truck when winching.

-more D rings for when we haul all the 4 wheelers on the trailer

-deck-over-neck for storing tires, or other items, and sitting up high to see the track from the pits

-truck battery on trailer to run deck lamps, and winch. just need to figure out how to wire it/isolate it so it charges off the truck but doesnt pull amperage thru the trailer plug from the truck when winching.

Do a search under my name I started a thread not to long ago in this section about how to hard wire for my winch. Getting ready to do my truck now that I finally found the proper parts.

I'm getting ready to mount a winch on my trailer and think I am going to put it up between the gooseneck rails towards the front. It would be concealed from view (and the elements) and mounted on a 1/2" plate bolted to the inside lip of the bottom of the I-beams.

I'm getting ready to mount a winch on my trailer and think I am going to put it up between the gooseneck rails towards the front. It would be concealed from view (and the elements) and mounted on a 1/2" plate bolted to the inside lip of the bottom of the I-beams.

Mount it high, that way you won't be dragging the cable on the top of the trailer at the dovetail.

You could mount it underneith and use a pulley system to keep the winch out of any elements and have the cable coming off from high up.

I always have my scre gun in the truck, so i welded a nut to the end of the shaft for the trailer leg lifter, now when I need to rais or lower the trailer, I pup on the socket, hit it with the screw gun, and up or down in seconds.

next neat trick I saw was for delivering firewood, two 3 yard dumpsters with independant hydralic dumps. Each dumpster mounted sideways toss a cord of wood in each and go for delivery, pull up and dump them off the side of the trailer and be gone.