Trans problem with a few others

MCForstenRacing

1/4 miles
Question for you guys.

98.5 vp truck. Truck will not shift out of first gear. Problem seemed to have started last year when we pulled the motor and has progressively gotten worse. We do have a few other symptoms or things going on. The PCS is having trouble connecting/communicating to my laptop when we plug it in.

When we plug the scanner in it will not communicate with the truck. Now when I plug my smarty in it will communicate. Thought it could be the scanner but plugged it into the 04 and connected just fine.

Checked every ground possible but could not find any problems.

You guys have any ideas? Valve body? Sensor?

Thanks in advance

Is this a PCS controlled transmission?(IE aftermarket controller on the transmission)

Not sure about the poor communication but I would put a pressure gauge on it. It could be governor solenoid or speed sensor on trans.

Is this a PCS controlled transmission?(IE aftermarket controller on the transmission)

Yes pcs standalone controller. We did send the box/controller to the pcs guys in Richmond to make sure it wasn't that. It checked out nothing wrong with it.

Kinda sounds like a wiring/connector issue. Have you checked the 2 main connectors on the firewall, ECM connector, and the transmission connector?
Just throwing stuff out there......

Have not checked them but will. I also agree it seems electrical. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks guys

So if it is a PCS controller, it has an ATS VB with solenoids controlling each gear. I would say it might be time to pull the VB.

Thank you for the help! Next step will be to check those connections if that doesn't work then drop the pan and do as you suggested and pull the valve body.

Is tranns doing any sort of haunting or lugging?does engine just continue to rev and will never shift?

Try driving it with the transmission connector plug disconnected. If no voltage is going to the governor solenoid, it will default in the open position allowing line pressure to feed the governor pressure circuits and will cause it to shift to 3rd gear (limp mode). If you want to check the other gears, you have to quickly shift from manual N to 2nd before it engages 3rd, or quickly shift to L if you want it to take off from a stop in first and then manually shift to 2nd, and then to D when you want 3rd. This will allow you to test drive it to see if the governor solenoid is the problem.

Another potential problem is there are small inlet screens on the governor solenoid. If these screens are plugged with debris, it won't allow governor pressure to increase and cause upshifts, regardless of correctly functioning solenoid.

If you drop the pan, it's just (3) 7/16" bolts and (2) T-20 star screws to remove the steel retainer and governor solenoid to check the screens and/or swap it out with a known good solenoid. If you decide to change the governor pressure sensor, the last 7/16" bolt must be removed and the whole aluminum governor cover plate drop down. You'll need a new gasket if you decide to remove the cover plate to gain access to the governor sensor retainer clip so it can be removed and replaced.

Here's a picture of the gasket that's required to replace the pressure sensor:

$T2eC16JHJF8E9nnC6U7kBRLUWG!H,!~~60_57.JPG

Has anyone else ran into this issue with a pcs and standalone valve body. All connections are good, even when you get to the "monitor screen" where you can adjust stuff right on the fly, and try to shift it manually with the lap top it will not shift out of 1st gear.