truck width questions for sleddy?

there is no load on the truck in that pic either, its at the end of his pull whe i took the pic.

even with solid suspension? I understand if there was still suspension travle. when you talk about a spring compressing, why would a spring compress in solid suspension, isnt that the whole idea, to not compress.

No. If the suspension is "Completely blocked" it should not move more than fractions of an inch. Like I said, I don't know what this truck does or doesn't run, but for those that can't or don't use blocks or suspension limiting devices, the axle can move quite a bit.

I still would like to know what they would do for a "unaltered" truck with a Brand X lift kit that moved the axle back an inch:

Would it be allowed?
Would the truck not be allowed to pull?
Would it be allowed until it won?

well that truck is solid. ive seen that before with my own eyes, as well as how the blocks are made. it does have said traction bars that wouldnt allow the axle to move. I understand what you are saying though. but in essence a original lift kit will never push the axle back at a ordinary stance which is in this pic. maybe with load and no blocks. also all lifts pull the rear wheels towards the front of the truck never push it back, think about it your rolling the rear axle up not pushing it down.thats why the driveshaft angle becomes a concern on a lifted truck.

I still would like to know what they would do for a "unaltered" truck with a Brand X lift kit that moved the axle back an inch:

Would it be allowed?
Would the truck not be allowed to pull?
Would it be allowed until it won?

NADM would have to see it."unaltered" is looking for major component changes altering spring hangers, axle placement on the leafs, etc.

Not really concerned with over the counter lift kits. Ohio pullers dont do anything over the counter, anyway.

If you are fooling with the suspension, I would check with NADM ahead of time. Because we have a gray area also, its called,"Tech decision final."

Leadfoot is a "thinker"...:clap:..A Good Truck puller!!!

Outlaw is just a "Hater":badidea:

yah Outlaw, I don’t know $hit about anything, Truck Pullin', Geometry, Physics, or even a Duramax..... :doh:

Maybe we have surpassed your level of thinking and you should look, listen, and learn before you make accusations....

hater? evan your trucks axle is still pushed back with no load please explain, I would agree with leadfoot if you truck wasnt solid to bad it is and too bad no lift kit company makes a lift that push's your axles back 3 or so inches. explain the picture evan? I didnt say you dont know anything? only your money speaks for you.

I have only one thing to learn from you and thats cheating, because your doing it buddie.

I give your truck all the credit in the world its a bad ass running truck, but i will drop this as soon as you explain why your axle looks pushed back?

Leadfoot is a "thinker"...:clap:..A Good Truck puller..

your comparing apples to oranges?

he is comparing your truck as if you were to have no solid suspension and basically no traction bars, you have solid suspension and trac. bars.......:doh:

do me a favor go out and take a picture of underneath your truck. please....

Because we have a gray area also, its called,"Tech decision final."

:rules: :thankyou2:

I was assuming if it wasn't intentional altering of components it would be OK, just wanted to make sure. The other reason I bring it up is in the NADM's rulebook it states under the Wheelbase rule that vehicles must retain factory wheelbase and track width. I'm sure that rule was made to keep from swapping SRW and DRW axles from one to another, but by the letter of the rule, there are several lift manufactures for IFS GM's that increase track width by as much as 3" in the front, and there are some who run a 1/2" spacer on each front wheel to keep offset rims from hitting the control arms.....both of which increase the WMS distance but not intentionally to gain an advantage. Tech's decision would be good for this.

Outlaw99: Yes certain lift manufacturers springs pull the axle forward as they use too short of a main leaf or use a stock main leaf and then arch it (distance from vertical spring centerline to front spring hanger vertical centerline decreases causing the axle to "move forward"), but there are other companies (Deaver for one) that take that into account and use a longer or flatter main leaf that keeps the axle centerline at OEM spec.

The issue I have seen is those that use a non-conventional leaf pack (like from another manufacturer or different application) and it causes issues. GM primarily used a main leaf with the "centering pin" dead center, whereas Ford used a spring that the centering pin was favored toward the front. Some have run them to gain spring rate and accidentally changed their wheelbase (some for better, some for worse)....

Regardless of who, what, when, where, and why, a simple tape measure and 10 seconds will determine "if" anyone has an altered wheelbase....end of story.

maybe its loaded all the time???... come on.....this is MOTORSPORTS!!!! im more than happy to help people but im not gunna host "pullin' chassie 101-121" on Comp-d......

:rules: :thankyou2:

I was assuming if it wasn't intentional altering of components it would be OK, just wanted to make sure. The other reason I bring it up is in the NADM's rulebook it states under the Wheelbase rule that vehicles must retain factory wheelbase and track width. I'm sure that rule was made to keep from swapping SRW and DRW axles from one to another, but by the letter of the rule, there are several lift manufactures for IFS GM's that increase track width by as much as 3" in the front, and there are some who run a 1/2" spacer on each front wheel to keep offset rims from hitting the control arms.....both of which increase the WMS distance but not intentionally to gain an advantage. Tech's decision would be good for this.

Outlaw99: Yes certain lift manufacturers springs pull the axle forward as they use too short of a main leaf or use a stock main leaf and then arch it (distance from vertical spring centerline to front spring hanger vertical centerline decreases causing the axle to "move forward"), but there are other companies (Deaver for one) that take that into account and use a longer or flatter main leaf that keeps the axle centerline at OEM spec.

The issue I have seen is those that use a non-conventional leaf pack (like from another manufacturer or different application) and it causes issues. GM primarily used a main leaf with the "centering pin" dead center, whereas Ford used a spring that the centering pin was favored toward the front. Some have run them to gain spring rate and accidentally changed their wheelbase (some for better, some for worse)....

Regardless of who, what, when, where, and why, a simple tape measure and 10 seconds will determine "if" anyone has an altered wheelbase....end of story.

agreed.

maybe its loaded all the time???... come on.....this is MOTORSPORTS!!!! im more than happy to help people but im not gunna host "pullin' chassie 101-121" on Comp-d......

so your admiting the trucks axles is alterd, whether you load the truck by using the springs or buy phyically altering it its still alterd?

your comparing apples to oranges?

he is comparing your truck as if you were to have no solid suspension and basically no traction bars, you have solid suspension and trac. bars.......:doh:

Taking suspension blocks out of the equation:

Properly designed trac. bars will let the axle move back (otherwise suspensions will bind as the bars fight the natural movement of the springs/axles). That being said designing a traditional sled pulling bar to follow the exact arc of the the spring is damn near impossible, but built correctly they will allow a range of motion that won't cause issues on the street (there is enough give in the spring, bushings, etc). A bar built for a dedicated puller is much easier...

Again, I have no idea what was or wasn't run, just want to clarify the "tech point".

what does this mean?

from my understanding you are saying the truck is loaded all the time so basically you have the suspension so tight in the rear that its pushing the axle back. what else explains the gaps?