Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Yeah you're right. I guess there was too much scotch between the last time I thought much about mech Cummins and now. I hate putting bad info on the interwebs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Not really bad info, just the MVT is not really that common, I have only seen it on the factory twin turbos and the NTCC which are Cali certified engines from back in the day.

I used to babysit a factory twin turbo cummins in a standby generator unit. Built in 1984 IIRC and rated at 585hp at 1800rpm. For its age I considered that thing a work of art.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to this as well, big cams never made it over 485hp from the factory and that was on a fire pump engine.

Here's my 97 pete 3406E 600hp to the ground, she's got alot miles on her but she's still a great truck. ( it's a petebilt!) about 1,830,000 on her.
323941f9-e824-4f2e-9fe3-f750ab22e0dd_zps51942648.jpg

Now i'm putting a new head on her, she had about a million on the old one and was pushing alot of oil at idle into my turbo, good thing we pulled the head because #6 fire ring was shot !
cede0197-917d-49c3-978d-9eab7e4435bf_zps055c8411.jpg

temporary_zps3dd2ab68.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking petecar! What's the specs on the engine build? I know those E models don't go to 600hp factory settings lol. Welcome to Comp-d from a fellow paccar/cat lover!

Great looking petecar! What's the specs on the engine build? I know those E models don't go to 600hp factory settings lol. Welcome to Comp-d from a fellow paccar/cat lover!

If it is a 15.8L E model it is a factory 600hp.

Ahhhhhhhhh I see. Didn't know they put the big E model in OTR trucks

Its a 550 not a 600, but fletchers diesel repair in Lancaster California did the $16,000 shortblock build after it broke a crank 250,000 miles ago, and he did the ecm tune and tells me the 600hp.( to the ground) I need to get it on Dyno after I get the Aftermarket manifold, cam, injectors and turbo on . keep ya posted on my inprovements.

Last edited:
Mine is a 550hp MXS ACERT, was running a bullydog on it, but its just got the 550/1850 tune in it now

How big?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'd be curious to this as well, big cams never made it over 485hp from the factory and that was on a fire pump engine.

Well I think I may have misstated some info. I was thinking it was rated at 585hp but it was only a 350KW genset and you figure approx 35% more hp than KW so 485 might be correct. At this point I'm officially confused. LoL

If anymore of you guys are going to be putting a cam in an electronic single turbo cat, come here first, you can go to the cat dealer and buy a new cam outright with no core for less than what PDI wants for theirs after the core charge.

If anymore of you guys are going to be putting a cam in an electronic single turbo cat, come here first, you can go to the cat dealer and buy a new cam outright with no core for less than what PDI wants for theirs after the core charge.

I wish I would've known this before I bought mine

Its a 550 not a 600, but fletchers diesel repair in Lancaster California did the $16,000 shortblock build after it broke a crank 250,000 miles ago, and he did the ecm tune and tells me the 600hp.( to the ground) I need to get it on Dyno after I get the Aftermarket manifold, cam, injectors and turbo on . keep ya posted on my inprovements.

How many miles did you get out of the stock engine?

X2 but don't go to a truck dealer and price it. Since its not a truck engine part it's actually cheaper direct from Cat. Also any good cam works as a core, i was really surprised when they took that piece of chit MBN cam as a core, Junkers are barely mailbox post material!

X2 but don't go to a truck dealer and price it. Since its not a truck engine part it's actually cheaper direct from Cat. Also any good cam works as a core, i was really surprised when they took that piece of chit MBN cam as a core, Junkers are barely mailbox post material!

LOL I really did LOL! Barely!

I didn't know they were accepting off part number cores now, was that at the Troy store John?

I didn't know they were accepting off part number cores now, was that at the Troy store John?

Done it at Columbus and Troy, neither place has ever looked at the part number. Probably also explains why I've never seen a reman cam, all the 800hp cams are always new. Lol

Done it at Columbus and Troy, neither place has ever looked at the part number. Probably also explains why I've never seen a reman cam, all the 800hp cams are always new. Lol

Damn, I wish I knew that a couple months ago, a friend bought 1000hp cam out right and actually got it thru KW for the same exact price as cat.

ejyzaban.jpg

36 tons of car eating road salt on board the hopper train express