Truckers, lets see your rigs!

The worst for me was about 1-2 hours before it'd get light out. I'd get so dayum tired for some reason lol

I enjoy night time truckin as much as the next guy, but let me run the damn hours I want to run. Lol

Out of work as a HD mech now. Going to try and help a friend get some work for this Pete and deck. I'll be driving it hot shot hopefully next week.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449423847.990580.jpg

Put out. Never voluntary. Might have a run from Calgary to the gas fields near Fort St John.

I'll bet someone wasn't careful when doing the oil cooler... Very very suspicious there was a catastrophic failure right after someone directly accessed the main oil rifle

Sent from my flashscan v2

Ding ding ding we have a winner. Bet it spun a bearing and that's why you have a hole. The engines are decent if maintained with good oil

Ding ding ding we have a winner. Bet it spun a bearing and that's why you have a hole. The engines are decent if maintained with good oil
Again, maybe if they made more pressure then my bladder makes in the morning, we wouldn't have just had 2 here with spun cam bearings. :bang

Come on Cummins, you have one job and that's to build engines.

Again, maybe if they made more pressure then my bladder makes in the morning, we wouldn't have just had 2 here with spun cam bearings. :bang

Come on Cummins, you have one job and that's to build engines.

What's the oil quality. Change interval and what failed to cause that debris to get In there? What do you think oil pressure should be? Those don't typically spin until debris causes them to do so.
I know my opinion on the red engines is bias. It's where I work and what I believe in. I know we have problems. But I also know trucks that get looked at by knowledgable people and maintained properly will have very few major problems. The new engines need a lot of attention. More preventative work. Radiator caps need changed every 3 months and checked every month. Oil needs changed more than advertised. After treatment needs dropped every 250k for a proper cleaning with good machines ect.

Last edited:
ISX in our other stores truck has the oil pressure light on at idle...and since they use it about 5K miles a year now, we adjusted the idle.

Really not impressed with the ISX in general. They run OK, but are quirky for us. Even in the tractors they have their quirks.
Chris

ISX in our other stores truck has the oil pressure light on at idle...and since they use it about 5K miles a year now, we adjusted the idle.

Really not impressed with the ISX in general. They run OK, but are quirky for us. Even in the tractors they have their quirks.
Chris

What year Truck? What failures have happened

2007, I couldn't list them all on this truck. It has 200K on a complete overhaul.

The tractors, no major failures. Just constant codes popping up and pissing customers off.
Chris

I would be willing to bet the cam timing is off after the overhaul. Typically will cause filter plugging very fast and have the same symptoms you have.
A good majority of problems are created by techs rather then the engine design

That low oil pressure is all on cummins, they never should have went that route even with the NT series engines.

What's the oil quality. Change interval and what failed to cause that debris to get In there? What do you think oil pressure should be? Those don't typically spin until debris causes them to do so.
I know my opinion on the red engines is bias. It's where I work and what I believe in. I know we have problems. But I also know trucks that get looked at by knowledgable people and maintained properly will have very few major problems. The new engines need a lot of attention. More preventative work. Radiator caps need changed every 3 months and checked every month. Oil needs changed more than advertised. After treatment needs dropped every 250k for a proper cleaning with good machines ect.

I agree partially, this "extended drain intervals" is going to come back and haunt the next owners of these trucks. However the last 2 we've done were owned by 2 different companies and both had the same spun bearing. The one is owned buy a guy that has 32 trucks mostly Cat with about 4-5 ISX's and oil gets changed at 12-15k. Now if contamination or lack of maintenance was the issue why is it only the red ones with this problem?

Why does about every ISX we open end up needing cam's\followers and rarely does a Cat cam even need replaced. Again I'm not totally against red paint, my dad has a 2250 that's over 700hp to the ground without any issues but it could totally crap the bed anytime. I've got a few yellow motors to go in it's place if it does.

My major beef with Cummins is they build engines, period! They should have been the best on the market and easiest to work on. I mean come on you can spend 100% of your engineering time designing nothing but engines and that goofy timing/metering actuator BS is the best you got? :hehe:

That low oil pressure is all on cummins, they never should have went that route even with the NT series engines.

I agree partially, this "extended drain intervals" is going to come back and haunt the next owners of these trucks. However the last 2 we've done were owned by 2 different companies and both had the same spun bearing. The one is owned buy a guy that has 32 trucks mostly Cat with about 4-5 ISX's and oil gets changed at 12-15k. Now if contamination or lack of maintenance was the issue why is it only the red ones with this problem?

Why does about every ISX we open end up needing cam's\followers and rarely does a Cat cam even need replaced. Again I'm not totally against red paint, my dad has a 2250 that's over 700hp to the ground without any issues but it could totally crap the bed anytime. I've got a few yellow motors to go in it's place if it does.

My major beef with Cummins is they build engines, period! They should have been the best on the market and easiest to work on. I mean come on you can spend 100% of your engineering time designing nothing but engines and that goofy timing/metering actuator BS is the best you got? :hehe:

I can't argue with that stuff. I feel the same Way. I think for an engine company we should set our bar a bit higher. The thing that sucks is I think
Our people pride themselves as being better than the rest currently. Rather than being the best they can be. I know these engines are rushed into production With all the emissions stuff and that causes them to not be as good as possible.
The cam and followers is typically a oil/ filtration problem. Recently we released a better oil bypass valve to combat this.
Also where are you located. I want to see a 700hp 2250 I think that engine has potential as soon as it's not eating its own sh!t.

Amen , when the sun goes down the speeds go up ! Most scales are closed , DOT packs up there creepers and all the jump out in front of you running 60 company guys when your making good time cats are parked .

THIS!!!!!! Most of those annoying 55-62MPH trucks are solar powered anyway. They're afraid of the dark I reckon, but I like it. The few times I don't run at night it's hard to find a spot in a truck from after about 7 or 8.

A few of our local companies have totally given up on the ISX, they've switched to western stars with Detroits, and what few Pete's or KW's he HAS bought all have paccar MX engines, one guy has even ditched every single ISX powered truck on his fleet and replaced them with Cat powered gliders. All of them refuse to buy another truck with Cummins power

Last edited:
ISX is definitely not an engine I would call reliable. They sort of go into the C13 category for me. They CAN be good engines if maintained and driven like they are made of glass but they are all still ticking time bombs. Without even mentioning the cam and bottom end issues the accessories like the turbocharger and the EGR system are enough to nickle and dime a trucker to death.

Those of us in the parts business love the things though :D