Truckers, lets see your rigs!

What kind of bmep/cylinder pressures are some of these engines making? At what point do you have to go beyond just setting the protrusion correctly and start going with custom stuff?

Without know exact torque numbers it would just be guessing, there are factory cat C15/18s that get into the 400psi range.

Without know exact torque numbers it would just be guessing, there are factory cat C15/18s that get into the 400psi range.

Yeah I know that's why I was asking. 400 psi is nuts! That's just under 2500 ft lbs for a 15.2l. I'd estimate my Detroit around 360 psi but that's not dyno proven.

I think we are going to see smaller displacement diesels with higher bmep in the future with the push for better bsfc and fuel mileage.

Yeah I know that's why I was asking. 400 psi is nuts! That's just under 2500 ft lbs for a 15.2l. I'd estimate my Detroit around 360 psi but that's not dyno proven.

I think we are going to see smaller displacement diesels with higher bmep in the future with the push for better bsfc and fuel mileage.

Outside of truck engines there are quite a few that climb that high. The highest HP marine C18 peaks at 434.

The 855hp C15 acert gen set peaks at 398 at full load rpm.

Here is a 12.9L marine engine that is being built by someone else for cat, prop demand is less as this is max limit for the engine.

E39C48EF-8C30-4DCC-AB14-FE0B9492A6B1_zpsmwk4oy5g.png

Here is a 12.9L marine engine that is being built by someone else for cat, prop demand is less as this is max limit for the engine.

Supercharged and compound turbos. It's pretty impressive. 54' Jarrett Bay @ 36 knots.

edbcfefb3170a3db644e869c37989428.jpg

Last edited:

E39C48EF-8C30-4DCC-AB14-FE0B9492A6B1_zpsmwk4oy5g.png

Good Lord those are nice numbers! What's impressive is the flat torque nd the wise range of bsfc. Only right at the top does it start going up.

Heres the truck I'm thinking about selling. 93 ext hood. 10 speed. B model cat. All new brakes and drums. Needs head and 2 pistons. Don't really want to sell it but I could use the money on a down payment on another truck for my driver. Whats its worth?

semiwithhay_zps96b05364.jpg

semi.jpg

P1000632.jpg

Does it matter? Still looking at a $15,000 inframe.

I was asking out of curiosity, not for the truck value. Ease up the hostility a notch or two shall we?
It's not a for sale ad, it's the steering wheel holder thread.

Looking to sell as is correct? With needing an inframe and a head, I'm not gonna be much help on the value side of things.

I'm definitely going to have to decline the offer of waterskiing behind that. It would make waterboarding(the torture kind) look pretty good.

Looking to sell as is correct? With needing an inframe and a head, I'm not gonna be much help on the value side of things.

Probably yes. It could be put back on the road with 2 pistons and a head. 2 injectors went bad is the cause of the trouble. It was my first truck, was good to me. But it might be time to move on.

I was asking out of curiosity, not for the truck value. Ease up the hostility a notch or two shall we?
It's not a for sale ad, it's the steering wheel holder thread.

Wasn't meant to be hostile. I'm just a keyboard jockey. I only play with anything with more than 4 wheels.

Probably yes. It could be put back on the road with 2 pistons and a head. 2 injectors went bad is the cause of the trouble. It was my first truck, was good to me. But it might be time to move on.

Honestly, if you're ok with putting two pistons, two nozzles and a new head on it, keep it. If I were looking to buy, in the condition it is in, I'd want to do a complete in frame.

Obviously, I have no idea what you're business is like, but you can get a piston kit and gasket kit through Interstate McBee cheap and a new head from Cat pretty for reasonable price. If you're willing to do the work yourself It could be done for much less than buying a newer truck. IMHO, you can't beat a mechanical Cat for reliability, fuel consumption, power, and ease of maintenance.

On-the-other-hand, the want for a newer truck comes into play, too.

my $.02

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't use interstate McBee in a lawnmower. But if your going to tear it that far down there is no way I wouldn't replace the other 4 packs. If your not wanting to spend much money just swap engines. You can find running B's for the price of a VCR

Wasn't meant to be hostile. I'm just a keyboard jockey. I only play with anything with more than 4 wheels.

Honestly, if you're ok with putting two pistons, two nozzles and a new head on it, keep it. If I were looking to buy, in the condition it is in, I'd want to do a complete in frame.

Obviously, I have no idea what you're business is like, but you can get a piston kit and gasket kit through Interstate McBee cheap and a new head from Cat pretty for reasonable price. If you're willing to do the work yourself It could be done for much less than buying a newer truck. IMHO, you can't beat a mechanical Cat for reliability, fuel consumption, power, and ease of maintenance.

On-the-other-hand, the want for a newer truck comes into play, too.

my $.02

This is just a farm truck. Looking at a newer truck for my otr driver. If it was a few years newer I'd drop 20 grand on it, throw a sleeper on it and let him drive it.

Back