Truckers, lets see your rigs!

I don't like how much the V belts slip on Cats. Sometimes you can tell how bad if the voltage drops
They’ll turn any fan you can fit under the hood. Should have been switched to serpentine when it was built. V belts are the devil.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Other than taking a bunch of power to drive.

What about thrust forces?

Wtf? So you think 10psi more exhaust pressure vs boost at max rpm is a big deal and completely ignore the fact it’s 1:1 for the other 99% of the time? Not to mention the fact it’s doing this while actually working (not a show pony or race truck) at almost 1200hp to the ground with <1100* manifold exhaust temps?

You sir are one of those internet mechanics. Expert on everything they have never done.

Wtf? So you think 10psi more exhaust pressure vs boost at max rpm is a big deal and completely ignore the fact it’s 1:1 for the other 99% of the time? Not to mention the fact it’s doing this while actually working (not a show pony or race truck) at almost 1200hp to the ground with <1100* manifold exhaust temps?

You sir are one of those internet mechanics. Expert on everything they have never done.

Heh you don't get what I'm saying at all. I know it takes a bunch of air (IE pressure) to make power. Sure we would all like free boost but that doesn't happen.

What I was getting at is more along the lines of how does one mitigate increased heat/pressure at higher pressure levels? Is there thrust bearing issues?

Why do we target 1:1 drive/boost? Is having say 10-15 psi drive above boost at operating rpm a problem?

I'm not being an internet smartass. I'm asking questions. I've never ran a compound setup and probably don't ever have the HP need to run one.

Last edited:
What I was getting at is more along the lines of how does one mitigate increased heat/pressure at higher pressure levels? Is there thrust bearing issues?

Why do we target 1:1 drive/boost? Is having say 10-15 psi drive above boost at operating rpm a problem?

Mitigate increased heat/pressure?? You mean on the engine you're running at 2-3 times factory power levels? Turn it back down...

Thrust bearing issues...maybe if you're way over 1:1.

1:1 is almost always best case for turbo efficiency...I have seen a couple setups over the years that did better, but that is EXTREMELY rare.

10-15psi more than drive at 100psi is no big deal...at 40psi, it's a bigger deal. It's also normal on tons of newer engines. Not great, but normal.
Chris

Heh you don't get what I'm saying at all. I know it takes a bunch of air (IE pressure) to make power. Sure we would all like free boost but that doesn't happen.

I'm not being an internet smartass. I'm asking questions. I've never ran a compound setup and probably don't ever have the HP need to run one.

Acert twins rarely have thrust issues.

Higher drive could be considered a parasitic load.

Rebuild kits for my HX’s are $200 and take longer to pull the cartridges out of the housings than it takes to rebuild one.
Borg kits are even cheaper I believe.

Mitigate increased heat/pressure?? You mean on the engine you're running at 2-3 times factory power levels? Turn it back down...

Thrust bearing issues...maybe if you're way over 1:1.

1:1 is almost always best case for turbo efficiency...I have seen a couple setups over the years that did better, but that is EXTREMELY rare.

10-15psi more than drive at 100psi is no big deal...at 40psi, it's a bigger deal. It's also normal on tons of newer engines. Not great, but normal.
Chris

I always thought thrust forces were related to pressures not pressure ratio. Both inlet air and exhaust outlet are going in the same direction, thrust forces would be in the opposite direction?

How does 1:1 relate to turbo efficiency?

edit: We can calculate shaft HP from the compressor map.

Last edited:

Lmao, so you mean to tell me I probably won’t get a million miles out of this engine without an overhaul or 5? I’ve had it apart at least once in the first 10k miles but I like to do very thorough oil changes.

I always thought thrust forces were related to pressures not pressure ratio. Both inlet air and exhaust outlet are going in the same direction, thrust forces would be in the opposite direction?

If you know, why are you asking?

Since you can't understand what I meant, and I didn't type it 100% correct. 1:1 is letting you know how efficient your turbo system is. Meaning, does the whole thing, as a whole, breathe or choke.

Chris

Lmao, so you mean to tell me I probably won’t get a million miles out of this engine without an overhaul or 5? I’ve had it apart at least once in the first 10k miles but I like to do very thorough oil changes.

Maybe if you drove for BSFC instead of trying to get your a$$ home faster

Chris

If you know, why are you asking?

Since you can't understand what I meant, and I didn't type it 100% correct. 1:1 is letting you know how efficient your turbo system is. Meaning, does the whole thing, as a whole, breathe or choke.

Chris

Know what?

is a 1:1 system automatically more efficient than one that isn't?

What are we talking about efficiency here?

edit: "I always thought" <> "I know"

Last edited:
Seem to argue alot for a guy havin issues with a sub 500 hp truck. Maybe it just comes off like that. Idk

Not a lot of large frame Holset compressor maps laying around. I prefer the try it method. 3.2" compressor wheel on manifold turbo was good but thanks to SOMEONE spending money for me I got a 3.6" on it now to try and since dyno day was a bust I'm going to use my mobile dyno and use fleet trucks like yours to compare performance. :lolly:

Thrust is axial, not radial. 1:1 will be near equal force towards the center of the turbo no matter what the pressure is.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I prefer factory turbos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro