TTB for pulling

I didn't read through all the BS in this thread but the TTB pulls great, doesn't have the tendancy to bounce like the newer trucks. The hubs and all the important stuff are the same size as a D60 (scratch that, just read it was the 44), and if by chance it does tear up, a new front end is just $300 away at the junkyard.

Just my 2 cents, also it just occured to me I think I may be the only one in this thread with TTB pulling experience. So piss off if you don't agree.

EDIT: As far at the pivot point reaming itself loose, they do that anyways new pivot bushings are 40 dollars a set

Last edited:
Im going to have to agree with oldschool here. Weeded through all the HS bull**** drama.

Personally i know the coil TTBs will hop, but have not seen/experienced the leaf TTB hopping. The geometry really doesnt lend itself to hopping anymore than a solid axle leaf, but whoknows.

Anyways, its a D44....it is not strong. You will most likely break a lot of parts, but they are all VERY cheap junkyard parts, or maybe even freebies if you find someone who did a solid axle swap (plenty of F150 guys).

The only other weak link i really see is the "Y" type steering....the wheels will have a tendency to toe-in, and bend or break the tie rods. I dont know of any heavy duty upgrades, but would not be hard to make.....yet neither would a D60 swap

smokingoat04 said:
thats what im saying whats the point of a competetive sport if your not going to compete

What? Huh? Did I miss something? Yea, we want a competitive sport. I know I do. But, you are looking at it from a totally wrong view. The competitive sport is the higher rankings such as the higher ends of street stock up to the pro mod level. However, our sport offers something other don't and we have had to push this fact hard the past couple of weeks and some of the orgnaizations involved know why. If you go to a NASCAR race you see the cars and only wish to be out there. You go to one of our events and you see the huge trucks out there tearing down the track and though most people don't have the money to throw at their trucks like others do, they still want to take what they got and say "they were out there" or "they pulled on the same track as the big boys" or just "they went and pulled their truck". Being politically correct mean everything these days so to say "these guys put $15,000 into their engine and "you only got a couple things done" and can't pull is only going to make more enemies than friends as it seems others are already coming after you for your comments in which you are also finding out. This sport is based off of farmers, construction workers, small automotive business owners who didn't have the large funds but what to get out there and do what their past relatives have done with tractors. This sport isn't as much about money as it is personal pride and satisfaction we get from doing it so to put someone down like that only ruins a sport in which many people are working towards making larger

Sorry, I have more to say but those are mainly my $.02

Clean it up, fellas.

If it doesn't have spark plugs and the owner wants to compete, everyone on this board should be cool with it. Thats what we're about here.

Give that TTB hell and let us know how she does.

i agree with you there. give'er all you got and have fun doin it. run it 'til it breaks, then fix and do again.

Garrett

No problem there, if I dont break somethin I'm not trying hard enough. I'll let ya'll know how it does once season rolls back around.

Sorry for acting that way guys, but I cant stand people bashing others just because they wanna do something different. All I was trying to get across is that we are all here for the same thing, and there is no need for people to tell someone they are stupid for pulling what thye have. All that matters is that he IS pulling and having fun. This sport needs all the support it can get, not people turning others away.

Travis

smokingoat04 said:
thats what im saying whats the point of a competetive sport if your not going to compete

Well you havent been to many pulls. Ive seen how trucks break. So in my opinion if 10 trucks break before 50ft. And his goes 51ft. Looks like hes the winner. Thats competing idiot

smokingoat04 said:
22 years of experience actually wouldnt say im a big shot but i do spend alot more time under the hood than on the internet

What year were you born?

I know what an IDI is, but what the hell is a TTB?

If it rattles, pull it- but don't invest any money in it!!

TTB= Twin Traction Beam
Fords 4x4 independent front suspension used from '80 in 4x4 all the way till the superduty...correct?
Came out in '65 in 2wd TIB Twin "I" Beam They may still use it in the vans & 2wd superduty
I say beat on that 44 ttb till she gives, you can find a 50 in the yard for cheap or a swap to a solid 60 won't be much as those axles are a LOT cheaper than the 78-79 dana 60

stacerbob said:
TTB= Twin Traction Beam
Fords 4x4 independent front suspension used from '80 in 4x4 all the way till the superduty...correct?

Yes, although the F 350's would still use the solid axle.

DieselFord05 said:
stacerbob said:
TTB= Twin Traction Beam

Yes, although the F 350's would still use the solid axle.

At least the post-85 ones

smokingoat04 said:
22 years of experience actually wouldnt say im a big shot but i do spend alot more time under the hood than on the internet

Dude, you were pulling trucks when you were 2 years old or what? It says you were born in 84. You might have pedal pulled when you were 6 or something. How many times have you pulled YOUR truck?? Did you place? Any video to back up the mouth? I was born in 87. Im 20 years old, but I dont claim to be a know it all that likes to bash people. And I have pulled my truck several times with video. Also been to the dragstrip more than a few times with some video.

Pulling anything is fun wether you win or not. Its an adrenaline rush, and I personally think it would be cool to see an IDI out on the field.

Eric

stacerbob said:
swap to a solid 60 won't be much as those axles are a LOT cheaper than the 78-79 dana 60

Are you smoking crack?!? The going rate for a ball joint D60 is $1200, more if its the pre-92 kingpin axle. Swaping in a 60 is NOT a cheap option.

My suggestion is, IF the 44 blows (which I doubt it will) a D50 TTB front end is dirt cheap.

i say beat her til she fails then put a 50 in and if i can find the website i will post it up, there is a guy that shows how to turn a TTB into a solid axle with a little bracing and welding.....and he offroads pretty hard with it from what i can remember....and it survives......if you got 22 years experience in diesel truck pulling id like to know where they have been diesel truck pulling at for 22 years......cause anyone that is about 22 or 23 like me and has been in diesel truck pulling since it started only has about 7 or 8 years of experience if that, even older guys dont have anymore......cause it wasnt done much if any before that......and please dont bash others for what they pull or how they pull, i am building a 2wd for gods sake and there was ALOT of guys saying it wasnt worth it til a certain 2wd white duramax got 2nd place against twenty-one 4x4 trucks this weekend, we are all here for the advancement of the sport, so what if he dosent have a cummins, i say more power to him if he wants to pull a 6.9/7.3, not everything has to have a C on the valve cover, Ben Miller sure dosen't and he regularly beats the other Mod class cummins powered trucks with his 7.3..........just my .02......

Last edited:
First off back here in Idaho I have a couple plaques we dont compete for money just for the fun in pulling. You know some people dont have the luxary to own what they want or something good. You dont even know the story behind hyde. I dont either but if he was some snot nosed spoiled kid that his dad bought the truck then you might have something to say to him. You can tell you havent pulled with your truck from your attitude. You showed up acting like you do on here you would get the *^% kicked out of you, and I dont meen pulling the sled. We are here on this website to help others out and look for help ourselfs, not to bash other people and get bashed. If thats what you want then go create your own forum for to good dick heads. Sorry I had to bash you smoking goat I shouldnt have stooped to your level, and just one more thing I am only 22 years old so it makes it different from some one your own age. Grow the &^*$ up. Sorry hyde that there are people like that on here.

It alright I've been a Pirate4x4 member for a few years so I'm accustomed to whiners and bashers. No none of my rigs have been bought for me, I'm 18 in school with a weekend job, this looks like a fun sport to get into and I want to use what I have and I like doing something different.

I remember back when I saw my first turned up 1st gen pull, back when they made him pull exibition because he was beating up on all the gassers haha.

LOGANSTANFORTH said:
2wd white duramax got 2nd place against twenty-one 4x4 trucks this weekend.

Any video, or link to the thread on this? Not doubting it, but id love to see video of it, or pictures of how the truck was set up. Sounds pretty neat

Eric

hyde, i would say that you will be fine, just don't let her start to bounce. she starts to bounce and she'll go!! i know how i was when i was younger and didn't have a pot to pi$$ in to fix stuff. go have fun and try not to let it bounce and you'll have a good time. good luck!!