tuning for a BIG turbo

:hehe: sorry, but this is one of the main things turbo companys talk about. The random people that just call up and want a turbo that is way to big for them but they don't care cause bigger is better. We've watched Tyler struggle with his truck and never really fix the problem or make any crazy power that it very well could. The truck needs to be tuned by a shop or reputable pump guy. I'd like to see his truck make some power instead of going backwards. I don't mean to offend you with any of that either Tyler.

:Cheer: No worries - Tyler can take it, Taylor... he's an expert at taking abuse for an inversely proportional $/HP relationship. :banghead:

Tyler, now that Taylor vented I'll say this. To break 500hp you need a properly sized charger not a bigger one!

None taken Taylor. I've developed a thick skin over the years. I went big for a couple of reasons. Soon my truck will not be a daily driver. Once I get another truck I'm yanking the head off and having it gone through completely and getting it o-ringed. Personally I think something internal is damaged. No clue what though. I'm also going to be building a big nitrous kit for this truck and the s400s can handle it better than the s300s. Once its all put back together I'm going to take it to a shop and have them dial it in. I know what needs to be done but either I'm not doing it right or my truck just hates me that much. I've given up on 500hp. I'm going for whatever the 200k mile bottom end can handle. This ****er is either going to blow up or do something really cool.

Last edited:
The size of this charger is exactly why I said leave the plate out. That charger is huge and rated at 1000hp or around there (again, general rating not specific to a cummins) Smoke and power with a p-pump atleast at wot isn't something i'd spend alot of time worrying about. Have fun.

The size of this charger is exactly why I said leave the plate out. That charger is huge and rated at 1000hp or around there (again, general rating not specific to a cummins) Smoke and power with a p-pump atleast at wot isn't something i'd spend alot of time worrying about. Have fun.

Have you run one with a REAL 600cc pump? I know you had a 68 on there at one time, don't remember what pump?

I have...and at 550cc's on CDS's stand, I could still black out the sun at WOT with some spray as well. Slid the plate back to 400cc's, and she cleaned up very nice, and was making 551/1083 on fuel, with only 12* timing. Some more tuning and I had it running a lot better, but never made it back to the dyno before I sold it.

It's easy to add more fuel if he needs it, also easy to pull the plate and thrown it back in later...but from my experience, less than 600 will be needed until he gets to tuning it;)

Chris

Right now the plate is at 500cc and AFC is full forward. I'll start from there and go back. Plate 1/4 forward (~350cc) and my 66 was cleaning it up to a haze. 400cc and it wouldn't stand a chance.

Meh. This ***** is going to do something really spectacular on the dyno.....once

Have you run one with a REAL 600cc pump?

No, but cool story actually I run a pump which came from the same shop his was done at and I actually have first hand experience with what those numbers do but thanks for the heads up. :hehe:

How's about he gets this charger on there and we see how it does and goes from there lmao

Last edited:
:hehe: sorry, but this is one of the main things turbo companys talk about. The random people that just call up and want a turbo that is way to big for them but they don't care cause bigger is better. We've watched Tyler struggle with his truck and never really fix the problem or make any crazy power that it very well could. The truck needs to be tuned by a shop or reputable pump guy. I'd like to see his truck make some power instead of going backwards. I don't mean to offend you with any of that either Tyler.

I agree try and fix the problem first.

I have a feeling my problem is internal to be honest cause it shouldn't be this hard to get 500 out of this combo but I'm missing something. I'm still not done with this *****. Like I said before, its either going to do something spectacular or blow the **** up at the next dyno. Either way the problem will be fixed.

Nope. Ain't been on the dyno since the swap but I'm smart enough to know that its not even close and not worth wasting the time on. I've got a call in to a very intelligent guy who's going to help me out. Just wait. Yall've waited this long so what's another month or so LOL

Just run it Tyler, what's the worst that could happen! Maybe if you do blow it a new long block is the secret recipe lol.