Tuning for Economy

that little island there is only about 4* out in the plateau but it starts at 1200rpm and 16mm3... heading to the shop in a bit to work on the race truck and i'll see how it does..

On the 6.7, we're unsure, but on the 5.9 it's referenced from main.

So pilot is x* before main and main is x* BTDC.

I might bump yours up away from the 16mm3 up to 30mm3 or so. If you have too much main to low in the mm3, you might end up with rattle and or poor spool with some unwanted smoke.

You're probably right, all the points i referenced of "cruising" in my data log were all between 30-50mm3 commanded... Thanks, I'll massage that area before I go dump it in.. I'm currently out in the driveway pissing off my neighbors trying to figure out why my BOV won't stay shut (repeated 4x4 spool ups... lol)

It's true, I figured that out yesterday.

First time I tried it....WTF did I just do to my baby???

Once I figured it out...it actually wasn't that bad to drive with but had a constant haze that drove me NUCKING FUTZ!!!

would love to see pilot and base timing from a 6.7

there is way more discussion regarding 5.9 over 6.7 with the assumption that 6.7 is much the same...but its not, especially with the 68rfe gearing the cruising range is vastly different from the 48rfe. any tuners who have a decent 6.7 base tune care to share?

would love to see pilot and base timing from a 6.7

there is way more discussion regarding 5.9 over 6.7 with the assumption that 6.7 is much the same...but its not, especially with the 68rfe gearing the cruising range is vastly different from the 48rfe. any tuners who have a decent 6.7 base tune care to share?

there should be one on the efi live library

First time I tried it....WTF did I just do to my baby???

Once I figured it out...it actually wasn't that bad to drive with but had a constant haze that drove me NUCKING FUTZ!!!

I Figured mine out for the most part, no haze, but I am having a little problem with the throttle, and when I let off. What am I doing wrong?

See Video:

[ame="http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r280/CarolinaGal725/?action=view&current=VIDEO0035.mp4"]VIDEO0035.mp4 video by CarolinaGal725 - Photobucket[/ame]

there should be one on the efi live library

you must have put that in there after my post! either way I'll take a look, though it is a single event rather pilot, main, post to compare on modded maps for better mileage.

you also have twins and a bunch of other mods but i'll check it out, thanks.

Check the stock tunes, not the modified tunes.

On a different note, My Overhead Console thing went from 16.5mpg to 29.9mpg with the tune I put in the library

On a different note, My Overhead Console thing went from 16.5mpg to 29.9mpg with the tune I put in the library

a) thanks for contributing it. I'll be looking at it when I tune mine.

b) dude, what is with the pink valvecover in your album ? Please tell me your wife has her own truck ???? Please. :lolly::lolly:

Subscribed.

I Figured mine out for the most part, no haze, but I am having a little problem with the throttle, and when I let off. What am I doing wrong?

Injector dribble ? Is there any smoke when it does this ?

Have you logged your rail pressure and other things to see what they are doing ?

sorry, maybe I wasn't being clear what I was looking for. I have my stock tune and all of the other stock tunes that are out there, but this thread was in regards to "tuning for economy" and the thread started with discussion/images of 5.9 timing. Rather I'm looking for the same type of "tuning for economy" just for the 6.7 to compare against the map I currently have loaded on the truck.

my truck pulls fine, wasn't going for huge power or anything, no smoke throughout, would just like better economy since my mileage has gone down over stock (yes I hand-calc every tank). Since I'm towing 7k down to SC and back next weekend, I'd rather get 14-15mpg over 9 and keep the $300 of extra fuel costs for crappy mileage in my pocket.

the 5.9 tuning for economy and the 6.7 will be vastly different I imagine, especially in relation to where the the truck cruises at within the maps and I was just wondering if someone had better info for the 6.7. hope this helps clear up what I'm looking for, thanks for the help in advance!

Injector dribble ? Is there any smoke when it does this ?

Have you logged your rail pressure and other things to see what they are doing ?

I haven't logged anything yet.

I got it figured out, it was a duration "Hump" towards the bottom of the map. I ended up smoothing out the injection quantity, and it completely went away.

Yeah...until we can see pilot timing were limited on how much to increase timing in that area....

For my personal truck, I have a "island" where I'm running 8* of main and 11-13* pilot in the 1500-2000@25-40mm3 area.

That's netting me 600-650* at 70mph and 18mpg

Hey Les,

Is this on your 5.9? I was just messing around with one of my tunes and was trying to dial it in more.

EDIT:: Im not running any pilot, or should I to get better fuel mileage? Ive always heard that its not necessary and you'll save fuel. Or am I wrong?

EFILivescreen.jpg

Anything else I should do?

Last edited:
Hey Les,

Is this on your 5.9? I was just messing around with one of my tunes and was trying to dial it in more.

EDIT:: Im not running any pilot, or should I to get better fuel mileage? Ive always heard that its not necessary and you'll save fuel. Or am I wrong?

EFILivescreen.jpg

Anything else I should do?

Yes, this is on my 5.9.

On my truck I was not able to run a single event tune that did not haze.

So I have focus all of my tuning on a 3 event tune under 1500rpms then its a 2-event tune till 2600 then a single event.

Yes, this is on my 5.9.

On my truck I was not able to run a single event tune that did not haze.

So I have focus all of my tuning on a 3 event tune under 1500rpms then its a 2-event tune till 2600 then a single event.

Haha shoot! I meant no post injection. Ive got pilot on and havent messed with it. So your saying that you need to adjust it also to try to get the best fuel economy?

Also is there a need to smooth out the pilot injection tables? I noticed that they are pretty jagged.

Last edited: